Richlands vs Graham

#1BLUESFAN

28 minutes ago, who? said:

How did mance do him?

He fired him after he had coached , what 25 years or more for Richlands, most of that as defensive coordinator and then replaced him as defensive coordinator with Palmer's own brother. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

He fired him after he had coached , what 25 years or more for Richlands, most of that as defensive coordinator and then replaced him as defensive coordinator with Palmer's own brother. 

That's not quite the whole story lol. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands quit the second Graham pushed a Blues player into the returner and Graham got the ball back. They had just gotten a 3 and out and the tram looked fired up for once and that just killed their will. 

And yes, Justin’s death didn’t help. You can call it an excuse if you want, but when your classmate kills himself and you hear all week how it’s the football teams fault, that takes an effect on 14-18 year old kids. 

That said, Graham was just better. 

So are you saying some of the football team members were the ones accused of bullying this young man?

3 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

So are you saying some of the football team members were the ones accused of bullying this young man?

People on social media have blamed the team as a whole, and Richlands athletics as a whole, since the day it happened. Only his parents know who truly bullied him. But being accused (guilty until proven innocent) all week, along with the media circus and the general heartbreak that they went through, they weren't up for this game. You could see it in warmups. 

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Nope. It's not my place to tell what happened behind the scenes. But I do know what happened and that's not quite the whole story.

I only stated basically three facts. 

1. Mance "got rid" (which as head coach is his prerogative). 

2. Ronnie Davis, Palmer's half brother is the defensive coordinator.  

3. Palmer was defensive coordinator for several years at Richlands. 

I'm not throwing shade at anyone just thinking it was a good win for GMen and Palmer as a new assistant there. As far as the Richlands football team, it's a shame some people (social media)  not the family are bashing the entire team and program over the bullying and athletes receiving special treatment at RHS. I think most fingers are being pointed at the administration. There's an investigation & hopefully the truth comes out and this tragedy is a catalyst for positive change not only at Richlands but other area schools. 

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

And yes, Justin’s death didn’t help. You can call it an excuse if you want, but when your classmate kills himself and you hear all week how it’s the football teams fault, that takes an effect on 14-18 year old kids. 

First time I've heard anyone from Richlands personally say "it was the football team's fault".  Being that I work with a lady from Richlands, and several Richlands people, one of which is especially close to the family, have come to our office during this past week, not once have I heard any of them even mention or insinuate that it was "the football team's fault"...just sayin'...

42 minutes ago, GMan said:

First time I've heard anyone from Richlands personally say "it was the football team's fault".  Being that I work with a lady from Richlands, and several Richlands people, one of which is especially close to the family, have come to our office during this past week, not once have I heard any of them even mention or insinuate that it was "the football team's fault"...just sayin'...

I can screenshot Facebook messages if you want me to send them to you. Accusing the team and even specific players on the team over Facebook. 

How about talking about the game? And giving Graham some credit and quit making excuses.  This is no place to be discussing GOSSIP. Especially in that situation. 

Graham deserves a ton of credit for that performance.  Lets not forget that Graham was also dealing with the loss of a recent gtaduate. 

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

How about talking about the game? And giving Graham some credit and quit making excuses.  This is no place to be discussing GOSSIP. Especially in that situation. 

Graham deserves a ton of credit for that performance.  Lets not forget that Graham was also dealing with the loss of a recent gtaduate. 

I have said on at least 3 occasions “Graham was just better.”

What more do you want me to say? 

9 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

When was last time Richland was shutout? I bet that  defense coach Mance fires looks a lot better today! WOW !!! What goes around comes around !!!!!🤔🤔🤔

7 minutes ago, T52OS said:

When was last time Richland was shutout? I bet that  defense coach Mance fires looks a lot better today! WOW !!! What goes around comes around !!!!!🤔🤔🤔

Sept. 20th, 2013 against Lord Botetourt. Last time before that was Nov. 29th, 2008 at Brookville. 

Being shut out 3 times in a decade is something that is mind boggling. Graham came in with the perfect game plan to counter what we do. We struggle with speed and Graham used it to their advantage on both sides of the ball. 

at Mitchell Stadium

Richlands............0 0 0 0 — 0

Graham..............10 14 14 7 — 45

Scoring

First Quarter

GR—Joey Dales 35 field goal 9:29

GR—Cam Allen 28 run (Dales kick) 3:13

Second Quarter

GR_Allen 31 run (Dales kick) 8:13

GR—Dales 43 pass from Allen (Dales kick) 1:33

Third Quarter

GR—Devin Lester 67 pass from Allen (Dales kick) 9:52

GR—Tre Booker 2 run (Dales kick) 3:51

Fourth Quarter

GR—Jazaire Reed 53 run (Dales kick) 9:23

___

Team Stats

First Downs: RL 4, GR 15. Rush-yards: RL 24-61, GR 40-278. Pass yards: RL 38, GR 194. Comp-Att-Int: RL 5-17-4, GR 10-18-1. Fumbles-Lost: RL 2-1, GR 0-0. Penalty-Yards: RL 5-25, GR 6-50. Punts-Avg: RL 6-49.8, GR 2-37.0

___

Individual Statistics

Rushing: RL Trey Brown 10-39, Zack Gillespie 4-12, Race Moir 9-10, Gavin Cox 1-1, GR Cam Allen 10-124, Jazaire Reed 9-81, Tre Booker 7-40, Justin Fritz 1-1, Xayvion Turner 1-(-4), team 1-(-5).

Passing: RL Race Moir 4-14-3 int-30, Gavin Cox 1-3-1 int-8-0 td, Cam Allen 10-18-1 int-194-2 td.

Receiving: RL Trey Brown 1-14, Logan Altizer 2-13, Bowen Tarter 1-8, Jakob Cole 1-3; GR Devin Lester 4-62, Isaiah Justice 3-61, Joey Dales 1-43, Chris Shinault 1-28.

Field Goals: RL none; GR Joey Dales (35)

Turnovers: RL Taylor Horn (int); GR Chris Shinault (int), Isaiah Justice (int), Xayvion Turner (fr), Nick Kastner (int), David Brown (int)

47 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

I'm sure D. Palmer had a part in the defensive game planning for this game. But Rex Bradshaw's contributions to our defense can't be overlooked. 

Totally agree! Kudos to Rex as well! Defense apparently shut them down according to Bluefield paper. Hate I had to work, would have loved to seen the game.

43 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Sept. 20th, 2013 against Lord Botetourt. Last time before that was Nov. 29th, 2008 at Brookville. 

Being shut out 3 times in a decade is something that is mind boggling. Graham came in with the perfect game plan to counter what we do. We struggle with speed and Graham used it to their advantage on both sides of the ball. 

You think  Head Coach having fired his defense coach for over 25 years played into the shutout? Maybe shouldn’t have made that move? 

10 minutes ago, T52OS said:

You think  Head Coach having fired his defense coach for over 25 years played into the shutout? Maybe shouldn’t have made that move? 

There's probably been a little bit too much read into Palmer "being fired" by Mance. 25 years is a long time for two coaches to work together. It was probably more like a mutual agreement to just part ways. Besides, would Graham's players really pay that much attention to that anyways?

1 minute ago, 99Bama said:

There's probably been a little bit too much read into Palmer "being fired" by Mance. 25 years is a long time for two coaches to work together. It was probably more like a mutual agreement to just part ways. Besides, would Graham's players really pay that much attention to that anyways?

Sounds more to me like it was just the perfect storm brewing.  Take a little factor from coaching experience, cleaned up penalties, coach change, blame the players, etc.  All of it adds up to the beat down that they gave them.  Any single factor isn't enough but all together it could have made a difference.

I didn't see it coming.  I figured Richlands could run on them since everybody else did and keep it close.