Marion at Tazewell

HurricaneWarning

Not to take a dump on Tazewell's defensive effort in the 4th quarter, but more than anything, the shift in momentum had to with the extra-curriculars in the stands. I don't know how much of it was caught from the Tazewell side of the stadium, but the game was stopped in the middle of the fourth quarter so that the head linesman could identify a spectator in the away stands who said something that was uncalled for in a smart-assed but innocuous fashion that the officials took very seriously. Seriously enough that it required Marion's administration and Tazewell town police came to supervise the away bleachers for the rest of the night. The entire spectacle not only deflated the fans and the sideline, it's like it hung a pall over that side of the stadium, and it was quite frankly awkward just to be there for the entire rest of the game. Tazewell certainly stepped up, but you could see that from the very next play, Marion, who had no trouble moving the ball all night, suddenly started going backwards.

Back of the Dragon is the given name of route 16 between Tazewell and Marion. It is a very windy road that goes over at least three mountains. It is marketed as a tourist attraction and many motorcyclist come to ride the road.

Tazewell arm tackles, they are in the backfield in line to make a tackle and totally screw up! And could someone over there in Marion teach #11 how to properly tackle as well before he hurts someone!  Every other play he was getting called for a face mask penalty! 

11 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Tazewell arm tackles, they are in the backfield in line to make a tackle and totally screw up! And could someone over there in Marion teach #11 how to properly tackle as well before he hurts someone!  Every other play he was getting called for a face mask penalty! 

Sounds like the dawgs need to learn to tackle more than the Canes do lol 

The defense needs major work.  Blevins needs to be QB for sure as Jordan is a stellar receiver.  A few non calls at the end of the game prevented a comeback but that doesn't excuse the terrible tackling and execution that they were doing.  I wish I could come out and see that "X" is the problem but at this point I'm not really sure what they need to do to fix the mentality.  This is a different team after the Beaver game.  The team that played Graham would have rolled over Ft and Marion.  Richlands would have been a much better game as well.  

On 10/20/2018 at 7:16 PM, Plywood_King said:

Not to take a dump on Tazewell's defensive effort in the 4th quarter, but more than anything, the shift in momentum had to with the extra-curriculars in the stands. I don't know how much of it was caught from the Tazewell side of the stadium, but the game was stopped in the middle of the fourth quarter so that the head linesman could identify a spectator in the away stands who said something that was uncalled for in a smart-assed but innocuous fashion that the officials took very seriously. Seriously enough that it required Marion's administration and Tazewell town police came to supervise the away bleachers for the rest of the night. The entire spectacle not only deflated the fans and the sideline, it's like it hung a pall over that side of the stadium, and it was quite frankly awkward just to be there for the entire rest of the game. Tazewell certainly stepped up, but you could see that from the very next play, Marion, who had no trouble moving the ball all night, suddenly started going backwards.

Wondered what was going on during that.  We never knew what was happening and were chalking it up to the refs not having a clue either.  I think that was about the time that they tried to mark off a big penalty on the dogs when it was called on Marion and then it took them a few to mark it off properly.

13 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Wondered what was going on during that.  We never knew what was happening and were chalking it up to the refs not having a clue either.  I think that was about the time that they tried to mark off a big penalty on the dogs when it was called on Marion and then it took them a few to mark it off properly.

That actually came a little earlier when they marked off a penalty on each team that ended with a result that could have used clarification. I don't remember exactly what was called, but it was two penalties, one against Marion during the play and one against Tazewell after the play, so Tazewell got a first down but it was marked as a first and fifteen. A little later in the fourth, a Marion fan yelled something to the effect of "hit the zebras next time" after a penalty and the head linesman took offense to it. Again, not at all that I'm condoning that kind of behavior, but the official probably overreacted considering the amount of times that the official has likely heard that type of thing said during a game. They were quite flag happy over the course of the game. I'm not going to accuse it of being biased either way, there were just a lot of penalties that were likely frustrating to both teams, in particular the unsportsmanlike calls that both teams were getting.

9 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

That actually came a little earlier when they marked off a penalty on each team that ended with a result that could have used clarification. I don't remember exactly what was called, but it was two penalties, one against Marion during the play and one against Tazewell after the play, so Tazewell got a first down but it was marked as a first and fifteen. A little later in the fourth, a Marion fan yelled something to the effect of "hit the zebras next time" after a penalty and the head linesman took offense to it. Again, not at all that I'm condoning that kind of behavior, but the official probably overreacted considering the amount of times that the official has likely heard that type of thing said during a game. They were quite flag happy over the course of the game. I'm not going to accuse it of being biased either way, there were just a lot of penalties that were likely frustrating to both teams, in particular the unsportsmanlike calls that both teams were getting.

In the day and time that we live in, I think words like this should be taken very seriously.  There is coming a day when somebody says something like this and really means it.  

10 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Funny thing is I actually hear that yelled out.  Words were traveling just fine through the air that night.  Actually thought it might have come from someone on our side since the absolute horrible officials we had from the week before.  Again officiating was suspect at times for sure.  There were many missed calls that could have been made both ways as well.  Thought that neither team actually looked that great.  Oh well and on to the next week and a new set of gripes and complaints!

The one thing you have to remember in high school football. When personal fouls are called on both teams they are marked off in the order of when they happened. There was a play in the Bluefield - Tazewell game where there were personal fouls on each team. I believe it was the play where Tazewell made a long run and Tazewell thought it was a TD. The ball was marked at the 2 yd line of Bluefield. The Bluefield foul was marked half the distance to the one yd line and then the Tazewell penalty was marked 15 yards to the 16.

Also remember that pass interference in high school is not an automatic first down. It is only a first down if the yardage passes the marker.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

if you're having to be talked into playing hard,  might want to do a little self assessment.  that can't be fixed in pre- game, that's pre-season

Like I said, you can’t coach that!