Keep Richlands High in your thoughts

Ryan4VT

A sophomore at RHS took his own life this morning. I obviously don't know what was going through his head in those last moments, but I do know that bullying was a factor.

It's senseless and stupid to bully and pick on kids. Grow up and realize there's more to life than being better than someone. 

A 16 year old life is now over and it honestly just pisses me off that he thought that was his best option. 

I hope his family and friends find some comfort in the days, weeks and years to come. I know it won't be easy. 

RIP, Justin.

Our prayers are with this family, we have experienced the loss of a grandson and also a son-in-law this year and it is never easy to go through this thing we call death.  If bullying was a factor, it is a shame, I guess as humans we just don't get it.  If we cannot lift someone up by our words, then we shouldn't speak.  Please pray for this family and ask God to ease their pain of this loss.

I hope it's investigated, and, if bullying was the key factor, that the individual is charged with negligent homicide.  That's the only way the message is going to get delivered...hold those individuals accountable and then spread the word on the repercussions.  Prayers go out to the family. 

Prayers for this young mans family, friends, and RHS. Similar situation happened when I was in high school and it literally affects everyone associated with the school. I would love to see Graham and RIchlands come together before the game Thursday night and honor this young man with prayer.

1 hour ago, bgibb said:

Prayers for this young mans family, friends, and RHS. Similar situation happened when I was in high school and it literally affects everyone associated with the school. I would love to see Graham and RIchlands come together before the game Thursday night and honor this young man with prayer.

Great idea!!!!  Something tragic like this goes WAYYYY beyond football!!!  I sure hope the teams come together for prayer for this young mans family!!!

Praying for Peace and Comfort for this family!!!!!

I hadn't heard about that yet Ryan,  so so sad !  Prayers for his family and friends.  I hate bullying so much !

It happened to a good friend of mine when I was in school and he had similar thoughts about taking his own life.  Thank the good lord that he made it through that and now has a wonderful life and family,  but he came close to not being here because of bullying.  Me and another of his good friends stepped in and confronted the bullies and played a small part in helping,  but he found his own inner strength to fight through it.

I've hated bullies so much since then.  

I cannot imagine what this kids parents and family & friends are going through right now.  Much love and prayers to all of them !

1 hour ago, bgibb said:

Wonderful thought and idea...........hope they do !!

So sad that other losers have to prey on others just to even attempt to validate themselves.  Make an example of them and prosecute to the fullest extent possible.

Serious question I have here and love to get other thoughts on it.  What drives someone being bullied to end it?  I was bullied probably more than anyone my entire time in middle school because I was the short one.  It didn't stop until I finally broke 5' my sophomore year.  I never had the least thought about ending it.  Now I hated school and couldn't wait to get out, but why do these kids feel it is their only way out?

6 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

So sad that other losers have to prey on others just to even attempt to validate themselves.  Make an example of them and prosecute to the fullest extent possible.

Serious question I have here and love to get other thoughts on it.  What drives someone being bullied to end it?  I was bullied probably more than anyone my entire time in middle school because I was the short one.  It didn't stop until I finally broke 5' my sophomore year.  I never had the least thought about ending it.  Now I hated school and couldn't wait to get out, but why do these kids feel it is their only way out?

Good question!!!  But we never know how severe the bullying was.  What kind of support system he had at home or at the school!!  He may have had no one to talk to about it or it was brushed off.  Not pointing fingers at anyone, just doing "what ifs".  Who knows what pushes people to that point.  Regardless, it is hard to imagine someone getting to a point to end their life!!!  My heart hurts for the family of this young man!!!!

Just a personal note.  I had a car accident my senior year that left me paralyzed from the chest down.  As an 18 year old it was a lot to wrap my head around.  I had my days of why and sometimes thought I would be better off not being here but not once did I get even close to the point of considering ending it!!!  Thankful for a great family and friends support system!!

Stu,  that's a good question !  I know that I was bullied once and my way was to fight back and make it not worth the trouble to bullie,  but my friend that I talked about in my earlier post was not a very big guy and felt that he could not go that route.  He was very frightened and he felt ashamed and could not go to his parents ( which is a whole other issue ).  He went to his teachers at the time but nothing was done and the bullying actually got worse after school (  the reason myself and my friend got involved ).

I think he just got to the point were he just didn't know what else to do, and at that age ( some are more mature than others ) and felt it would just go on forever.  He confided finally to me and our other friend because he felt he had no other option and thank god he decided not to take the suicide way.

I think some just get to the point were they feel they have no other way out and feel ashammed and helpless.  Just a guess on my part by the conversations I had with him.

9 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I would think the kind of home life a kid as would play a role in it. Parents and family involvement in a kids life or lack there of can make a big difference.

When we went to school our issues were basically over at the last bell. Today kids take it home with them via their cell phones. Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook and other social media have really enabled bullying. 

5 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

I would think the kind of home life a kid as would play a role in it. Parents and family involvement in a kids life or lack there of can make a big difference.

When we went to school our issues were basically over at the last bell. Today kids take it home with them via their cell phones. Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook and other social media have really enabled bullying. 

Very true on all parts there.  My parents were great but I never let on about what was going on in school or talk to anyone about it for that matter.  The few times I did mention it the gym teachers just ignored it.  I just counted down the days until school was out.

People are so attached to social media and such that they let it get to them sadly and of course that feeds it even more.  Hard to just say it's only words and I don't have to listen to what is said/written online.

Another point I should make is when we grew up we were told to stand our ground.  Don't start anything but defend yourself and finish it.  Now if you get in a fight they want to press charges and bring law enforcement into everything even if you were the one being wronged.  I still tell my kids to defend themselves and I will have their back until the end but I had never ever hear about them starting something.

I think social media escalates the bullying but it also escalates the response. When I was a senior a person in my class committed suicide 1 month before graduation. That was 1981. Some in school knew what happened but many did not. Now students use social media to bully and there is no escape when the student goes home. Our generations could at least get a break when we went home. 

Now the bullied can get their revenge by publicly committing suicide directly on social media or but posting their intentions on social media. In this way they can call out all of the actions of the bullies and get their revenge by showing the world what the bullies did to them and who it was and therefore passing the humiliation in some way onto those that did the bullying. Kind of like "so and so made me do this".

I know it doesn't make sense to us but in those moments it makes sense to them.

7 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I think social media escalates the bullying but it also escalates the response. When I was a senior a person in my class committed suicide 1 month before graduation. That was 1981. Some in school knew what happened but many did not. Now students use social media to bully and there is no escape when the student goes home. Our generations could at least get a break when we went home. 

Now the bullied can get their revenge by publicly committing suicide directly on social media or but posting their intentions on social media. In this way they can call out all of the actions of the bullies and get their revenge by showing the world what the bullies did to them and who it was and therefore passing the humiliation in some way onto those that did the bullying. Kind of like "so and so made me do this".

I know it doesn't make sense to us but in those moments it makes sense to them.

Good point.

From a law enforcement perspective, what exactly can be done? Say for instance Little Johnny is making fun of someone's weight, height, race or whatever the case may be. What can they do to put an end to it before a child takes his/her life? I'll be honest, I know schools place signs up in the hallways and tell everyone they have a "No Bullying Policy" but when it's reported to the school most of the time nothing is done.

May our Lord, give peace and comfort to his family...no greater loss than a child... 

Prayer from an inspirational book

LORD, You have walked through the valley of death, and You know the way.  In this time of sorrow, lead us to Your secret place of comfort and healing.  Sustain us with Your love, and restore peace to our soul.

You are near to those who are brokenhearted, and we need You to wrap Your strong and comforting arms around us today.   Replace our ashes with Your beauty, our pain with Your purpose, and our heavy heart with Your oil of joy.

LORD, bring us through this dark valley to a new day of hope and peace.  As You are comforting and blessing us, use us to be a blessing to others.

In Jesus' name, AMEN

17 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

Good point.

From a law enforcement perspective, what exactly can be done? Say for instance Little Johnny is making fun of someone's weight, height, race or whatever the case may be. What can they do to put an end to it before a child takes his/her life? I'll be honest, I know schools place signs up in the hallways and tell everyone they have a "No Bullying Policy" but when it's reported to the school most of the time nothing is done.

All just words to make it look like they are trying to do something.  Because like you say what can be done?  Talk to the parents?  The lack of parenting is half the problem.  Suspension, that doesn't really do anything.  Like I said if you fight back now you are in just as much trouble if not more than the bully.

Certainly, prayers for this young man’s family and the Richlands community.  I hope Graham makes a show of solidarity Thursday night.

Knowing that some HS kids read (and post) on this board, I will say this.  If you are considering ending your own life, those feelings are not normal and healthy.  It’s OK to be “not OK”, but please seek help if you are feeling these emotions; every insurance provides for mental health evaluation and treatment.  Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary troubles.  People do care: your family, your friends, and your community care.  And believe you me, once you walk off that stage in early June after your senior year, the “crap” that goes along with high school disappears.  

Sorry to ramble.

23 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Certainly, prayers for this young man’s family and the Richlands community.  I hope Graham makes a show of solidarity Thursday night.

Knowing that some HS kids read (and post) on this board, I will say this.  If you are considering ending your own life, those feelings are not normal and healthy.  It’s OK to be “not OK”, but please seek help if you are feeling these emotions; every insurance provides for mental health evaluation and treatment.  Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary troubles.  People do care: your family, your friends, and your community care.  And believe you me, once you walk off that stage in early June after your senior year, the “crap” that goes along with high school disappears.  

Sorry to ramble.

Well said!

No matter how bad the situation may seem, there is ALWAYS someone that cares.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Heard this song a couple of weeks ago...it was really an inspiration for someone who was going through a trying time in their life...wonderful lyrics!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPeY_RK7akk