Keep Richlands High in your thoughts

Ryan4VT

11 hours ago, 87Tiger said:

I hope it's investigated, and, if bullying was the key factor, that the individual is charged with negligent homicide.  That's the only way the message is going to get delivered...hold those individuals accountable and then spread the word on the repercussions.  Prayers go out to the family. 

Such a tragedy! No child should ever feel as though suicide is his only out. According to a family member's public comment on Facebook, the bullying was reported more than once and never addressed and eluded to the fact that kids with certain last names or star athletes don't get in trouble at that school. I could post screen shot but it's all out there for anyone who cares to read it. What a shame that nothing was done and an innocent life lost because of bullying. If any good comes of it, maybe this will open the eyes of some who have the power to stop it. I think every school should have a zero tolerance policy for bullying and strictly enforce it. With that said, prayers for this young man's family and his friends. For those from Tazewell County here is a link to petition related to stricter consequences for bullying. Our school board needs to step up to do better by our kids in this area. Hold adults in charge, bullies, and parents of bullies accountable regardless of one's community standing. 

Please speak out and sign the petition. 

https://www.change.org/p/tazewell-county-stricter-consequences-for-bullying-in-all-schools/w?source_location=notifications_page

"In light of the recent tragedy there is going to be a community meeting on October 28th at 7 o'clock at City on A Hill church located right beside the Tazewell county country club all concerned parents community leaders Pastors anybody who wants to help Push Back Against Bullying please help us get the word so we can move forward together as a community and change our children's future for the better!! Share Share Share." 

The family is having troubles paying for the funeral (which is to be expected when a tragedy like this strikes). If you have the means, please help them out on their GoFundMe page. Already nearly $3,000 raised in six hours. 

https://www.gofundme.com/funeral-expenses-for-justin-dye

20 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

A sophomore at RHS took his own life this morning. I obviously don't know what was going through his head in those last moments, but I do know that bullying was a factor.

It's senseless and stupid to bully and pick on kids. Grow up and realize there's more to life than being better than someone. 

A 16 year old life is now over and it honestly just pisses me off that he thought that was his best option. 

I hope his family and friends find some comfort in the days, weeks and years to come. I know it won't be easy. 

RIP, Justin.

It always hurts my heart to see/hear about this as it hits home (RIP Steven). I will be praying for Justin's family,friends,loved ones,and the community.

Also there's so many hotlines you can reach out to,but for those who don't feel comfortable speaking,please use this texting site. You will be immediately connected to a professional. PLEASE anytime,anyplace,anywhere you need someone to talk to message me and I'll give you my phone number and stay on the line with you until I get to you personally. This is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There are people here who care. I am one of them. Life is way too fragile and precious to not give things a chance to get better.

https://www.crisistextline.org/

On 10/16/2018 at 6:47 PM, Gridiron60 said:

The bullying was reported more than once and never addressed and eluded to the fact that kids with certain last names or star athletes don't get in trouble at that school.

Sadly I think that this is a very common thing in all schools.  I know it was even when I was back in school and I'm sure that part of it hasn't changed since then.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, 99Bama said:

Good point.

From a law enforcement perspective, what exactly can be done? Say for instance Little Johnny is making fun of someone's weight, height, race or whatever the case may be. What can they do to put an end to it before a child takes his/her life? I'll be honest, I know schools place signs up in the hallways and tell everyone they have a "No Bullying Policy" but when it's reported to the school most of the time nothing is done.

Well, if they determine the individual(s) that were bullying him and have evidence (social media, notes, direct witnesses to the bullying, then the family will have sufficient evidence to file for a wrongful death lawsuit.  There is no burden of proof under this law.  Sufficient evidence to prosecute/lawsuit will be there.

In Va there is no criminal charge for bullying, but the code provides for civil penalties (money)if the offended party brings a lawsuit. Va law does state that all schools districts and their boards implement anti-bullying policies with zero tolerance. As a father of a special needs child I cannot imagine other children bullying my son, and what I would do.My heart goes out to this young mans family , I pray that GOD gives them peace and suuronds them with his love