Abingdon @ Union

Union_Fan

Might as well get this started. Especially since I just saw where this game will be carried LIVE by WCYB. I watched the commercial twice just to make sure I didn't imagine it. A share of the Mountain 7 championship and possible #1 seed in 2D will be on the line for the Bears. An outright Mountain 7 championship possibility for the Falcons.

What does everyone think?

I’m just getting home from Abingdon so here are my very early thoughts. This game scares me. Abingdon is incredibly physical and has a couple very good running backs. I think union has improved very much both physically and schematically since the Ridgeview Game. On senior night at the park, I think the bears hold the Abingdon run game down just enough to get the W. 

Can confirm. It will be live on the Tri-Cities CW. We’ve had it planned for a while but I wasn’t allowed to say anything. I know PJ, Casey and the gang are excited to broadcast one from Bullitt. 

18 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Can confirm. It will be live on the Tri-Cities CW. We’ve had it planned for a while but I wasn’t allowed to say anything. I know PJ, Casey and the gang are excited to broadcast one from Bullitt. 

As long as we have good weather, they won't be disappointed. The Park. Will. Be. Crazy!

Until last night I thought that Union would win easily ,not now, wow what a game plan the had....kinda like a old Gate City team smash mouth. There are going to be some licks thrown, better get that passing game going or Union will be in trouble.

10 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I thought earlier this season it was said that WCYB will NEVER do a VA game.  Why all of a sudden are they going to do one?

8 minutes ago, Bigtom said:

I dont understand why Abingdon, a AAA school, is in the Mountain 7.  Can someone tell me?

Could have something to do with the fact that they aren’t a true AAA. They have a HUGE special ed program that boosts them over the limit of AA. Not including the special ed kids, it is a AA size school.

5 minutes ago, Bigtom said:

I dont understand why Abingdon, a AAA school, is in the Mountain 7.  Can someone tell me?

They are the only 3A school in SWVA. It was either join a 2A district or travel 3 days by mule each week to River Ridge district opponents. 

1 minute ago, Bigtom said:

Oh I see. Is there no way they could drop down to AA?  It seems like its a disadvantage to Abingdon when it comes playoff time.

VHSL probably won’t drop them to AA because they are still competitive at AAA so they don’t see a reason to.

4 minutes ago, Bigtom said:

Oh I see. Is there no way they could drop down to AA?  It seems like its a disadvantage to Abingdon when it comes playoff time.

I think they get quite a bit of competition in the Mountain 7 as it is strong in all sports. However, they could benefit greatly by scheduling some Tennessee schools that wouldn't kill them in travel.

53 minutes ago, Bigtom said:

I thought earlier this season it was said that WCYB will NEVER do a VA game.  Why all of a sudden are they going to do one?

Who said that? 

I know this wasn’t on the original plan. The plan from the start was DB/Sience Hill and Betsy/Greenville. But it’s went very well on the money side of things with local business’s lining up to sponsor it, that they decided a few weeks ago to do another game and show some love to the VA half of our market. 

This may be the best game of year at The Park, the fans kinda been flat but expect the hype to grow. Union May have Wildcat to let go or they may Spread the ball around, different Union come Friday night, Can you imagine Jenkins in the Wildcat ....lions tigers and Bears oh my!

55 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Who said that? 

I know this wasn’t on the original plan. The plan from the start was DB/Sience Hill and Betsy/Greenville. But it’s went very well on the money side of things with local business’s lining up to sponsor it, that they decided a few weeks ago to do another game and show some love to the VA half of our market. 

Was this game chosen purely because it is two of the biggest fan bases in SWVA? Honestly think Chilhowie-PH gonna be a better game. I mean  2 8-0 teams in the same district doesn’t happen often 

36 minutes ago, GloboGymCobras said:

Was this game chosen purely because it is two of the biggest fan bases in SWVA? Honestly think Chilhowie-PH gonna be a better game. I mean  2 8-0 teams in the same district doesn’t happen often 

All about ratings. Abingdon is the biggest school around and we all know about the Union fan base. 

I think when push comes to shove, this game will be the one that more people in SWVA will care about. I think Chilhowie is 3-4 TDs better than PH. PH is a good team. But Chilhowie is a legit state title contender. On the other hand, I’m not sure who is better between Union and Abingdon. 

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Advertisers like eyeballs and will pay if there are enough of them.  I'm guessing most of the schools in the WCYB viewing area couldn't generate the necessary viewership to pay the costs.

This.