Abingdon 3A

Skipper

I cant believe no one has mentioned the fact that Abingdon,  "They are what we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!"  They are a 3A school allowed to play down in division 2. That was voted on and allowed by your Mountain 7 schools principals.  Now I'm not a genius, but how does it make sense or keep the playing field level and fair for all teams that play in division 2A? Or how is it fair to other teams that play in 3A that don't get to play down in 2A like Abingdon .  Not only are they allowed to play down, but join the 2A conference, then allowed to win the district and then move in and play in a 3A  playoffs.  How is that fair form a 3A standpoint?  It's not about losing to a Abingdon sports team, but it could be the fact that they way they celebrate after beating a smaller team school size .  If my 16 year old beats my 12 year old like he should, and struggles with that,  and celebrates  like he just won the super bowl!  Is the 12 year old really a sore loser, or commended for they efforts more than the loss?  Do we put it in the paper or televise it like it's some big accomplishment for a 3A school?  Do we except the excuse from Abingdon that they cant drive up 81 to play or find 3A teams to play because of travel? LOL .... Don't be fooled like our Mountain 7 principals have been. Here is  a list of schools they could play if someone really wanted to do homework .  The 3A school with in driving distance that they should be playing is: Pulaski , Christiansburg, Cave springs, Blacksburg ,Northside.  That would be the same driving distance for Abingdon as going to Ridgeview , union , wise , or even Lee co .  Who are we fooling?  Abingdon has enrollment to play in 3A  and and its about 400 to 500 students more than any other 2A school.  We can allow Abingdon to be BILL Clinton and say he didn't  inhale,  or hold our principals accountable  for allowing such stupidity.  Why do we allow a 3a school to strip the joy from our kids that work hard and after a hard fought season; because Abingdon don't want to drive up interstate 81 to play their own division.  It's way to laughable.  I really cant see that it could even be arguable.  if i played poker I don't give my opponent 10 cards every game then pat him on the back win he wins.  I don't have any kids playing football and I do not work for a school system.  I have been reading for years and have wanted  to post but I never have before because I don't want to argue over non sense stuff. I have pondered on this for 2 weeks and just cant understand how a 3A school gets so much attention and praise for wining a 2a division. Even coach Turner said it to the Bristol paper Quote,  "Abingdon is a good team that will do well in class 3A playoff ."  What do you think he is trying to say?  Read between the lines people.  This is a Bristol paper quote from a Abingdon player, “We want everybody to know what the Abingdon Falcon football program is all about,” Crosswhite said.  LoL really? You're barley beating the best teams in 2A . If someone wants to schedule Abingdon and play them as a non conference game, I get it. But for them to win a 2A district title is laughable. Jimbo Adams would shit himself if union , wise, or Ridgeview was allowed to play down in division 1,  and take away from him winning  the Cumberland almost every year.   So I cant wait to hear the excuses for allowing for such stupidity!  Why allow Abingdon to dictate the fairness of having divisions in football?  Please go ask your principals of the Mountain 7 this question, but don't let them fool you and blame the VHSL  for this stupidity .   Do we Punish our on Conference because of a 3A schools location especially when you have interstate  81 to drive on?   

Well I know for sure it's not next to Georgia Tech!   I found the spell check now and I had no clue that my rubbish had posted and not been edited, just brain storming!  I am not an English major and I may not post many more times.  If people don't understand my post about Abingdon, then America is in real trouble understanding facts!  Do I need to get on my knees and beg forgiveness from the Lord of the grammar board?  

Abingdon did play Pulaski, hidden valley and Christiansburg. They've played Blacksburg in years past. I'm sorry, but your post sounds like sour grapes. If you don't like your team's losing to them, maybe they need to step up? The VHSL approved it so tough. 

33 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Or how is it fair to other teams that play in 3A that don't get to play down in 2A like Abingdon .  Not only are they allowed to play down, but join the 2A conference, then allowed to win the district and then move in and play in a 3A  playoffs.  How is that fair form a 3A standpoint?

Abingdon does NOT "play down", they are in a "mixed" conference, like a LOT of other schools in Va.  Maybe you should go to 3A Christainsburg, where 2/3rds of their district foes are 4A or 5A.

They are NOT "allowed" to win a title - they have to earn it just like any school, in any sport.

Winning a district tite has NOTHING to do with making the playoffs anymore... hasn't in who knows how long. (Maybe it does in the 'minor' sports - I don't know.)

What ever you want to call it!  Abingdon petitioned the VHSL and they left it up to the mountain 7 principals to decide their fate.  And again i will never understand a 3A school being allowed to play in and belong to a 2A conference,  hell and win it ..  We all know VHSL does a lot of stupid stuff, but that does not mean we have to follow what Rome does up in northern VA.  If you read the post you can see its not about getting beat ? lol   Sour grapes is when someone brings a knife to a gun fight!   There is no question Abingdon is playing in 2A Mountain 7 conference . Call it what you want,  that's  playing down!   We can argue special ed students like another poster, but all schools have special ed kids.  There is no reason that Abingdon can't play in a 3A conference.  End point.  It's laughable.   16 year old barley beats a 12 year old and celebrates a huge victory:  how can anyone make sense of that.  The playing field must be fair across the board. Just because up north they shit in there back pocket, don't mean we have to.  I like to have people in places to make smart choices for our schools. Surely I will have a robin hood come out of the woods to make sense of the issues of my post.  

I understand what the poster is saying and actually agree but I also understand the parameters that allow this to happen. Allowing Abingdon to get 3A points for beating 2A teams creates an unfair advantage for sure but who the heck is Abingdon going to play? Franklin County has the same issue as did Lee. 

36 minutes ago, Skipper said:

What ever you want to call it!  Abingdon petitioned the VHSL and they left it up to the mountain 7 principals to decide their fate.  And again i will never understand a 3A school being allowed to play in and belong to a 2A conference,  hell and win it ..  We all know VHSL does a lot of stupid stuff, but that does not mean we have to follow what Rome does up in northern VA.  If you read the post you can see its not about getting beat ? lol   Sour grapes is when someone brings a knife to a gun fight!   There is no question Abingdon is playing in 2A Mountain 7 conference . Call it what you want,  that's  playing down!   We can argue special ed students like another poster, but all schools have special ed kids.  There is no reason that Abingdon can't play in a 3A conference.  End point.  It's laughable.   16 year old barley beats a 12 year old and celebrates a huge victory:  how can anyone make sense of that.  The playing field must be fair across the board. Just because up north they shit in there back pocket, don't mean we have to.  I like to have people in places to make smart choices for our schools. Surely I will have a robin hood come out of the woods to make sense of the issues of my post.  

I still say sour grapes....

Actually Martinsville is in a district with 3 3A, 2 4A, 1 5A & 1 6A. They have a hard time competing in most sports except boys and girls basketball. But they line up and do the best they can. All the complaining in the world can't change it.

I understand the O.P.’s point and I don’t buy that Abingdon has a 500 person special ed program. (I know that’s not exactly what has been said, but you get my point I’m sure.) However they handed RV their tail physically on a level that was almost embarrassing. They served up more pancakes than the Huddle House beside the marijuana dispensary. One pack player got drove back 14 yards and then got ‘caked. Another got pancaked  so hard he’s out for the season. Not a big hit just a ground into the dirt pancake block. Hard to argue with that kind of whipping. 

Not to change the subject too much but in 1978 all the schools in Martinsville's District (Piedmont??) voted not to play the Bulldogs in football and by default making them ineligible for the district title. Martinsville had to play a crazy schedule in 1978 and 1979. The VHSL stepped in eventually (after Martinsville took action) and put a stop to that chicken sh*t nonsense and made the district teams play Martinsville. BTW the vote by the other schools to run from Martinsville was unanimous.