Abingdon 3A

Skipper

Good lord,  they were in the Southwest district for years with AA schools and thoses schools were competative with them and beat them a lot of the time.  

They have no AAA schools within reasonable driving distance.  The travel would be very exspensive and tough on the fans and teams if they had to make that drive everyweek they had an away game and that's not counting the other sports were they play more than 1 game a week.  If there were other 3A schools that were not 2 to 3 hr drives then I am sure there would be another solution,  but there isn't, so play em and quit crying about it !

I'm glad to see them back on our schedule again next year,  it was usually a good game and great banter between the 2 fan bases on here...........where oh where did Falconboy and his sidekick go ?  Those were fun days !

I completely understand what Skipper is trying to explain.  Abingdon is winning district championships that 2A schools would be winning without Abingdon in the league. It has not happened in every sport, but they are at the top or very near to the top in every sport. They do have some distinct advantages due to numbers, no question about it.  It allows a lot more specialization in sports that the smaller 2A schools don't necessarily get.  As for now, you won't get a lot of opposition to them being a member of the Mountain 7, but if they continue to win championships, look for people to complain more.  As it is, 2A schools do benefit from the season competition level from playing Abingdon in the regular season as they move into the regional playoffs.

6 hours ago, BigO said:

This entire thread has me belly laughing. So when AHS loses to a 2A team they are wine and cheesers....but when they beat 2A teams they are too big and tough?  LMAO.  

Just for the record RV’s loss to Abingdon was a glaring example of what I think the Packs two biggest weaknesses are. 1st play calling is usually awful and was that night too. 2nd the weight program is laughable, although it was better this year. This game was won and lost in the weight room long before the teams ever took the field. Big and tough is usually earned, so good for them.  They earned. I hope the kids enjoy it, and that’s not sarcasm. 

7 hours ago, big ugly vol said:

I understand the O.P.’s point and I don’t buy that Abingdon has a 500 person special ed program. (I know that’s not exactly what has been said, but you get my point I’m sure.) However they handed RV their tail physically on a level that was almost embarrassing. They served up more pancakes than the Huddle House beside the marijuana dispensary. One pack player got drove back 14 yards and then got ‘caked. Another got pancaked  so hard he’s out for the season. Not a big hit just a ground into the dirt pancake block. Hard to argue with that kind of whipping. 

Must be same problem Union has

10 hours ago, Skipper said:

What ever you want to call it!  Abingdon petitioned the VHSL and they left it up to the mountain 7 principals to decide their fate.  And again i will never understand a 3A school being allowed to play in and belong to a 2A conference,  hell and win it ..  We all know VHSL does a lot of stupid stuff, but that does not mean we have to follow what Rome does up in northern VA.  If you read the post you can see its not about getting beat ? lol   Sour grapes is when someone brings a knife to a gun fight!   There is no question Abingdon is playing in 2A Mountain 7 conference . Call it what you want,  that's  playing down!   We can argue special ed students like another poster, but all schools have special ed kids.  There is no reason that Abingdon can't play in a 3A conference.  End point.  It's laughable.   16 year old barley beats a 12 year old and celebrates a huge victory:  how can anyone make sense of that.  The playing field must be fair across the board. Just because up north they shit in there back pocket, don't mean we have to.  I like to have people in places to make smart choices for our schools. Surely I will have a robin hood come out of the woods to make sense of the issues of my post.  

Abingdon does not have a 500 student special Ed program..I know that for a fact. So I'm not buying it either. Union and Ridgeview lost, so I think it's time to get over it and quit making excuses. 

Buy looking on both sidelines it wasn't a 10 to 1 ratio..( tenn.high  vs hurly.. example) numbers...  take away sp.ed program out of enrollment you have a Richland or Appomattox high school . Falcons were better team Friday night

1 hour ago, Hokie101 said:

Listen, Abingdon is big and strong............ right now!!  This is all Darren Reed's doing.  They are still benefiting from his short time there.

I certainly hope this was sarcasm.  It definitely isn't credit to Reed.  If he had still been here there would've only been about 30 kids out for football and their record would've been abysmal.  More than likely they would have been 2-6 at this point hoping to beat Lee and possibly be the 8 seed if they were lucky.

The credit here goes to Coach Amburgey. He has a staff and players who would run through a wall for him.  From day one he has empowered his assistants, players, senior leadership, even down to the equipment managers and trainers.  He has embraced/energized the school and the fan base like I haven't seen since he and Coach Colobro coached at Abingdon.  I was shocked this past summer to see how many kids came back to football when he was announced as the head coach.  It went from 30 some to 70 some in no time.  There is a reason for that.

Keep in mind, he knows nobody was/is giving them a shot at anything.  He's OK with that.  He just uses it to fire up his players.  He is fine being the underdog.  His players love him and the thing that gets said most is they are having fun.  Not just on Friday nights but fun practicing, fun doing team activities, fun watching and breaking down film. 

So just to be clear. The only thing true in the quote is Yes "Abingdon is big and strong" and "short time" 

14 hours ago, Skipper said:

I cant believe no one has mentioned the fact that Abingdon,  "They are what we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!"  They are a 3A school allowed to play down in division 2. That was voted on and allowed by your Mountain 7 schools principals.  Now I'm not a genius, but how does it make sense or keep the playing field level and fair for all teams that play in division 2A? Or how is it fair to other teams that play in 3A that don't get to play down in 2A like Abingdon .  Not only are they allowed to play down, but join the 2A conference, then allowed to win the district and then move in and play in a 3A  playoffs.  How is that fair form a 3A standpoint?  It's not about losing to a Abingdon sports team, but it could be the fact that they way they celebrate after beating a smaller team school size .  If my 16 year old beats my 12 year old like he should, and struggles with that,  and celebrates  like he just won the super bowl!  Is the 12 year old really a sore loser, or commended for they efforts more than the loss?  Do we put it in the paper or televise it like it's some big accomplishment for a 3A school?  Do we except the excuse from Abingdon that they cant drive up 81 to play or find 3A teams to play because of travel? LOL .... Don't be fooled like our Mountain 7 principals have been. Here is  a list of schools they could play if someone really wanted to do homework .  The 3A school with in driving distance that they should be playing is: Pulaski , Christiansburg, Cave springs, Blacksburg ,Northside.  That would be the same driving distance for Abingdon as going to Ridgeview , union , wise , or even Lee co .  Who are we fooling?  Abingdon has enrollment to play in 3A  and and its about 400 to 500 students more than any other 2A school.  We can allow Abingdon to be BILL Clinton and say he didn't  inhale,  or hold our principals accountable  for allowing such stupidity.  Why do we allow a 3a school to strip the joy from our kids that work hard and after a hard fought season; because Abingdon don't want to drive up interstate 81 to play their own division.  It's way to laughable.  I really cant see that it could even be arguable.  if i played poker I don't give my opponent 10 cards every game then pat him on the back win he wins.  I don't have any kids playing football and I do not work for a school system.  I have been reading for years and have wanted  to post but I never have before because I don't want to argue over non sense stuff. I have pondered on this for 2 weeks and just cant understand how a 3A school gets so much attention and praise for wining a 2a division. Even coach Turner said it to the Bristol paper Quote,  "Abingdon is a good team that will do well in class 3A playoff ."  What do you think he is trying to say?  Read between the lines people.  This is a Bristol paper quote from a Abingdon player, “We want everybody to know what the Abingdon Falcon football program is all about,” Crosswhite said.  LoL really? You're barley beating the best teams in 2A . If someone wants to schedule Abingdon and play them as a non conference game, I get it. But for them to win a 2A district title is laughable. Jimbo Adams would shit himself if union , wise, or Ridgeview was allowed to play down in division 1,  and take away from him winning  the Cumberland almost every year.   So I cant wait to hear the excuses for allowing for such stupidity!  Why allow Abingdon to dictate the fairness of having divisions in football?  Please go ask your principals of the Mountain 7 this question, but don't let them fool you and blame the VHSL  for this stupidity .   Do we Punish our on Conference because of a 3A schools location especially when you have interstate  81 to drive on?   

Sounds likes a pissed off Union fan, who got embarrassed on Local TV..just saying 

ABINGDON won, due to poor execution, 7 turnovers.They were the better team.they play in a 2 a conference full of tough teams....so what, leave it alone, it is what it is, years ago POWELL VALLEY lost to a much bigger school at state , NO BIGGIE it makes us better, makes them better everyone wins, its about the state title not the mountain district

My problem with it is, its bad timing to complain now about it after a loss when you said you have been thinking about it for awhile.   Just looks bad.   I completely understand being pissed off after a loss, but listen.....the odds of any of these kids going pro is slim to none.  In the big bad game we call life, things are not always fair.  You will get skipped over for a promotion for bosses friend or stuff like that.  This is doing nothing but showing the kids that when something dont go your way cry about it. Its like welfare, if we as adults dont stop the foolishness then it will be a never-ending cycle.  Remember....its how yiu respond as opposed to react.   

I will admit, all the talk about the Sp Education students being at Abingdon got me curious, so I did a little research on the VDOE's website.

Disabled children by school(number and percentage of total enrollment)

Abingdon - 148 - 16%
Battle - 81 - 13%
Holston - 60 - 20%
PH - 64 - 15.2%

Union - 104 - 16%
Central - 84 - 13%
Eastside - 64 - 15.6%

Ridgeview - 95 - 16.7%

Hard to decipher exactly the point of the comments about Sp Education students in the "Abington" or Abingdon, but there are the numbers. With the exception of Holston, looks like every HS in Wise, Dickenson, and Washington are on similar footing.

Source: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/statistics_reports/enrollment/fall_membership/report_data.shtml        "School Totals by Grade Disabled Students"

Ok now the Baptist is coming out in me lol.  Competition is a good thing.  This world has gotten so soft that everyone wants everything handed to them and not have to work for it.   Not too far in the past when you won a state title it really meant you were the best in the state.  In the 70s you played schools MUCH bigger than you.  I go to games now and find it hard to hear pads pop anymore.  The desire and drive seem to be missing.  Now every team has a few throwbacks.  Shame on you or anyone else who wants to cheapen this Mountain 7 title for Abingdon.  And for the record I am not from Abingdon.  These kids and coaches have put in the work and it is well deserved.  You are doing the future generating of us arm chair qbs no justice by crying on the internet.  And the church said AMEN.

1 hour ago, Falcon Mania said:

I certainly hope this was sarcasm.  It definitely isn't credit to Reed.  If he had still been here there would've only been about 30 kids out for football and their record would've been abysmal.  More than likely they would have been 2-6 at this point hoping to beat Lee and possibly be the 8 seed if they were lucky.

The credit here goes to Coach Amburgey. He has a staff and players who would run through a wall for him.  From day one he has empowered his assistants, players, senior leadership, even down to the equipment managers and trainers.  He has embraced/energized the school and the fan base like I haven't seen since he and Coach Colobro coached at Abingdon.  I was shocked this past summer to see how many kids came back to football when he was announced as the head coach.  It went from 30 some to 70 some in no time.  There is a reason for that.

Keep in mind, he knows nobody was/is giving them a shot at anything.  He's OK with that.  He just uses it to fire up his players.  He is fine being the underdog.  His players love him and the thing that gets said most is they are having fun.  Not just on Friday nights but fun practicing, fun doing team activities, fun watching and breaking down film. 

So just to be clear. The only thing true in the quote is Yes "Abingdon is big and strong" and "short time" 

Ah, kinda I guess.  When a program is bad and you bring a winning work ethic, you're going to make some people upset.  He may have brought a style that some couldn't handle but a lot could.  It's the same that will require GC to get back to their winning ways.  It's not just X's and O's but in the offseason in the weight room and conditioning.  Whoever the new coach may be at GC, if they bring a winning attitude and work ethic that some that are there now aren't used to, they may not like the new coach either.  

1 hour ago, Falcon Mania said:

Ah, kinda I guess.  When a program is bad and you bring a winning work ethic, you're going to make some people upset.  He may have brought a style that some couldn't handle but a lot could.  It's the same that will require GC to get back to their winning ways.  It's not just X's and O's but in the offseason in the weight room and conditioning.  Whoever the new coach may be at GC, if they bring a winning attitude and work ethic that some that are there now aren't used to, they may not like the new coach either.  

All Washington Countys middle and Highschool special need students go to Abingdon. I have no idea how many that is , but Ahingdon is one of then smaller 3a schools. That being said I remember when we had 3 classifications and the same problems and no one complained.  What a great game and Great atmosphere Friday at Union if the Gentleman that was complainings team had one we wouldnt be having this Discussion. Abingdon has picked up Tenn. High and Richlands next year and I look forward to the big game with both . Richlands are always a class act even in defeat. 

15 hours ago, Skipper said:

I cant believe no one has mentioned the fact that Abingdon,  "They are what we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!"  They are a 3A school allowed to play down in division 2. That was voted on and allowed by your Mountain 7 schools principals.  Now I'm not a genius, but how does it make sense or keep the playing field level and fair for all teams that play in division 2A? Or how is it fair to other teams that play in 3A that don't get to play down in 2A like Abingdon .  Not only are they allowed to play down, but join the 2A conference, then allowed to win the district and then move in and play in a 3A  playoffs.  How is that fair form a 3A standpoint?  It's not about losing to a Abingdon sports team, but it could be the fact that they way they celebrate after beating a smaller team school size .  If my 16 year old beats my 12 year old like he should, and struggles with that,  and celebrates  like he just won the super bowl!  Is the 12 year old really a sore loser, or commended for they efforts more than the loss?  Do we put it in the paper or televise it like it's some big accomplishment for a 3A school?  Do we except the excuse from Abingdon that they cant drive up 81 to play or find 3A teams to play because of travel? LOL .... Don't be fooled like our Mountain 7 principals have been. Here is  a list of schools they could play if someone really wanted to do homework .  The 3A school with in driving distance that they should be playing is: Pulaski , Christiansburg, Cave springs, Blacksburg ,Northside.  That would be the same driving distance for Abingdon as going to Ridgeview , union , wise , or even Lee co .  Who are we fooling?  Abingdon has enrollment to play in 3A  and and its about 400 to 500 students more than any other 2A school.  We can allow Abingdon to be BILL Clinton and say he didn't  inhale,  or hold our principals accountable  for allowing such stupidity.  Why do we allow a 3a school to strip the joy from our kids that work hard and after a hard fought season; because Abingdon don't want to drive up interstate 81 to play their own division.  It's way to laughable.  I really cant see that it could even be arguable.  if i played poker I don't give my opponent 10 cards every game then pat him on the back win he wins.  I don't have any kids playing football and I do not work for a school system.  I have been reading for years and have wanted  to post but I never have before because I don't want to argue over non sense stuff. I have pondered on this for 2 weeks and just cant understand how a 3A school gets so much attention and praise for wining a 2a division. Even coach Turner said it to the Bristol paper Quote,  "Abingdon is a good team that will do well in class 3A playoff ."  What do you think he is trying to say?  Read between the lines people.  This is a Bristol paper quote from a Abingdon player, “We want everybody to know what the Abingdon Falcon football program is all about,” Crosswhite said.  LoL really? You're barley beating the best teams in 2A . If someone wants to schedule Abingdon and play them as a non conference game, I get it. But for them to win a 2A district title is laughable. Jimbo Adams would shit himself if union , wise, or Ridgeview was allowed to play down in division 1,  and take away from him winning  the Cumberland almost every year.   So I cant wait to hear the excuses for allowing for such stupidity!  Why allow Abingdon to dictate the fairness of having divisions in football?  Please go ask your principals of the Mountain 7 this question, but don't let them fool you and blame the VHSL  for this stupidity .   Do we Punish our on Conference because of a 3A schools location especially when you have interstate  81 to drive on?   

This isn’t a valid argument. Hopewell high school, the defending 3a state champs plays in the central district. Always has. Thomas Dale (6a) and Dinwiddie (5a) are in this district. Both have recent state titles in their classes. That’s a tough district. They have always been in it together along with other tough schools from 3-6a. The M7 and Central districts aren’t the only ones who have this. It’s no different than the old LPD under the old classification. Appy, pound, clintwood and norton class A div1. Pv, kelly and counting class A div 2. Gate city was class AA some. What were they in 97 when the triple title happened?  We’re they LPD that year?  Could have had three classifications in one district that year too. Yes, I’m from the other end of the state. But I’ve been around here long enough and enjoy the local programs history to learn about it. Abingdon really comes out on the short end having to play in the M7 due to not playing AAA schools. Helps the smaller schools. I am not a fan of Abingdon. But don’t mind playing them either. It’s football. It’s our 11 against their 11. Shut up and snap the ball!

3 minutes ago, fatherfalcon said:

All Washington Countys middle and Highschool special need students go to Abingdon. I have no idea how many that is , but Ahingdon is one of then smaller 3a schools. That being said I remember when we had 3 classifications and the same problems and no one complained.  What a great game and Great atmosphere Friday at Union if the Gentleman that was complainings team had one we wouldnt be having this Discussion. Abingdon has picked up Tenn. High and Richlands next year and I look forward to the big game with both . Richlands are always a class act even in defeat. 

A lot of school divisions do something like that, but those students are counted, as far as enrollment goes, at the "home" school not the destination. It's clear from the documentation on the VDOE that those students are not all counted toward Abingdon's enrollment. I remember years ago that all of Powell Valley Primary's special needs students were bused to Appalachia Elementary because PV Primary was busting at the seams and Appy had empty rooms.

Tenn high will be a good pickup for Abingdon. It's a 4A equivalent school and very close.

And I don't know if "Skipper" is a Union person or not, but he speaks only for himself. Union hasn't shied away from competition since they were formed, trying to schedule the best teams possible. Sometimes, though, you have to fill your schedule with who you can find. I know that Turner and Adams at Burton have a good friendship and Burton is very close, but I'm glad we're dropping them in favor of larger schools.

Glad you enjoyed the game Friday. The Park really does have a great atmosphere. 

3 minutes ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

This isn’t a valid argument. Hopewell high school, the defending 3a state champs plays in the central district. Always has. Thomas Dale (6a) and Dinwiddie (5a) are in this district. Both have recent state titles in their classes. That’s a tough district. They have always been in it together along with other tough schools from 3-6a. The M7 and Central districts aren’t the only ones who have this. It’s no different than the old LPD under the old classification. Appy, pound, clintwood and norton class A div1. Pv, kelly and counting class A div 2. Gate city was class AA some. What were they in 97 when the triple title happened?  We’re they LPD that year?  Could have had three classifications in one district that year too. Yes, I’m from the other end of the state. But I’ve been around here long enough and enjoy the local programs history to learn about it. Abingdon really comes out on the short end having to play in the M7 due to not playing AAA schools. Helps the smaller schools. I am not a fan of Abingdon. But don’t mind playing them either. It’s football. It’s our 11 against their 11. Shut up and snap the ball!

Welcome to the board.  In '97, Gate City was in the Highlands district. They didn't rejoin the LPD until they dropped back down to A-Div 2 in 2000 I think.

I thought Dinwiddie was 4A. That's were they are listed on the master schedule and weekly ratings.

3 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Welcome to the board.  In '97, Gate City was in the Highlands district. They didn't rejoin the LPD until they dropped back down to A-Div 2 in 2000 I think.

I thought Dinwiddie was 4A. That's were they are listed on the master schedule and weekly ratings.

It is a problem but I'm happy to play schools like Ridgeview and Union that fill the stands . Driving to Christiansburg to win by 4tds and out number the home team in fans isnt much fun . Ridgeview showing up with all their Rowdy fans at Abingdon was awesome.  Friday at Union was great so glad my son was able to experience what SW VA football is all about

17 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Thanks pal. You are correct. 5a was a typo on my part. 

My honest opinion is that it hurts Abingdon more than it hurts the other 2A's because of competition.  Yea the Unions, Richlands and Ridgeviews are good 2A programs but that doesn't prepare Abingdon enough for the playoffs when they go up against the bigger schools.  As far as travel goes, it would be unfair to Abingdon if they were forced to play in a bigger conference.  Abingdon is where they belong and that should be that.

14 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Allowing Abingdon to get 3A points for beating 2A teams 

Beginning by admitting my own ignorance....  but is that actually happening?  I thought the ratings were calibrated in some manner corresponding to classification (whereby you get greater benefit by beating schools in higher classification).