Akers Out at GC?

LongTimeSWVAFan

AD needs to go and then gc will be really rolling.  People forget it was rat and Roberts who were so against Jeremy houseright that they hired Akers as a default.   Chickens coming home to roost.  If reed gets job...there will definitely be some egos clashing with hc and ad.  

47 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

I'm not advocating for Coach Reed but I'm all ears on examples of what you're talking about.  His last head coaching job took a team that was good for maybe 2-3 wins a season to a playoff team.  Before that was at central and nothing else needs to be said about that because when have they ever been relevant in something other than girls basketball.

Well the season proceeding Reed at Central they were a 6 win playoff team in the 2 seasons under Reed they won 4 games total (One 1 vs a non Cumberland team.)

At Abingdon he took a team that had won 4 games a year the prior 3 seasons and had them in the playoffs the next 4 seasons with there crest 2015 in an 11 win season

Last season was a drop off winning 6 games and going win less in October.

He was NOT the man for Central but had success in Abingdon (Many point out that Colbro was the man truly responsible for Abingdons success in Reeds time there but I honestly have no Idea. and if Reed could pull Colbro in to help him out again then I am sure that the GC Faithful will be in heven)

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Anyone who thinks that Reed was any more than 1/10th responsible for what happened at Abingdon needs to immediately go to the ER for observation.

Anyone who thinks Reed had little to do with any of the success they've had during his time there is oblivious to reality.  That was a good group of kids that played but they needed the right leadership and he was apparently it.

32 minutes ago, bucfan64 said:

We all know that LL wins equal HS wins! LOL

From 8th grade up , I don't think they lost any till Reed arrived,or he  decided to call the offense

1 minute ago, Fisher said:

From 8th grade up , I don't think they lost any till Reed arrived,or he  decided to call the offense

I think he was trying to turn Abingdon in to one of his Gc teams he played for!!!

27 minutes ago, Fisher said:

I think he was trying to turn Abingdon in to one of his Gc teams he played for!!!

Or maybe he coached for!  He won 2 state championships as an assistant if I'm not mistaken, or at least one that I know of, and countless playoff experience.  

2 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

So if it weren't for Coach Reed, Abingdon would be the 3A version of Appomattox?

I think what they are getting at is that the last year Coach Colobro and Amburgey were at Abingdon there was quite a bit of disagreement between Reed and the staff. Reed brought in Colobro and once there was success he wanted total control. Not allowing the OC and DC to do their jobs. Majority of the staff left and that's why the staff looked so different last year.

Numerous players didn't play last year because of the head coach. Many of those returned this year to play for Amburgey. 

You do the math

Far as I'm concerned. GC can hire whoever they want. If they feel he's their answer. Good for them. Abingdon has a coach players go the extra mile for. Fans love what he is doing for the program and community and I am good with that. 

10 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

I think what they are getting at is that the last year Coach Colobro and Amburgey were at Abingdon there was quite a bit of disagreement between Reed and the staff. Reed brought in Colobro and once there was success he wanted total control. Not allowing the OC and DC to do their jobs. Majority of the staff left and that's why the staff looked so different last year.

Numerous players didn't play last year because of the head coach. Many of those returned this year to play for Amburgey. 

You do the math

Far as I'm concerned. GC can hire whoever they want. If they feel he's their answer. Good for them. Abingdon has a coach players go the extra mile for. Fans love what he is doing for the program and community and I am good with that. 

You are exactly right.colbro & amburgy were on the same page, last I heard was 5 total coaches left & no one else wanted in with him.you hang around up there  you hear & see alot of things that adds up is what little succeess  he had last year ..( nobody wanted to play or coach under Reed)

The thing with Reed is that the original group he inherited had some great talent (many playing college ball with most of them currently playing for Emory and Henry).  That is why the previous coach was ran out of town.  Abingdon is heavily influenced by Emory alumni so they wanted Reed (an Emory alum) to come in and lead the team.  This came back to bite them in the end.  The strength of the group lied in the explosive passing game with Sturgill, Yates brothers, Wallace, and others who could put up big numbers.  They had a good size line and athletes in the backfield.  The perfect mix for the spread offense.  Reed followed this plan early. Sturgill as a junior led the team fairly deep in the 3A playoffs and had some big college interest.  in the offseason, Reed proceeds to convert the team into a primarily running team and only throwing in desperate situations.  Numbers go down, Sturgill's stock dropped and the Falcons did not have the season everyone hoped for.  During the change in game plan instilled by Reed, he instructed the JV and 8th grade coaches to scrap any passing game and focus on the run game so that he could change the entire program leading up to him.  That caused much disruption with the coaching staff causing many to leave.  It ticked off influential parents and ran off a lot of kids in the program because everything they had been accustomed to and succeeded at had been yanked out from under them.

This is not uncommon for a new coach to change things to their style but this was too drastic of a change and, in my opinion, this doesn't work at the 3A level.  The reason 1A and 2A schools from this area are successful in the post season is because of the power game and smash mouth football. Our kids are typically big and strong and work hard to succeed.  At the 3A level, once you get away from southwest VA you find teams with a better crop of athletes and the speed of the secondary shut you down.  That made the spread, high flying offense effective for Abingdon.  You can see similar comparisons in the 2A with Graham's speed in the secondary.  Reed may be a good coach at Gate City because their program was built on the power run game but I don't think he is equipped to coach different styles. 

My apologies to Abingdon & Wise Central on behalf of all Gate Citians. I had no idea that Darren Reed had set your respective programs back so terribly, or cost you the multiple championships that a qualified coach would have won. Maybe Akers will retain him on his staff at Blountville Middle next year. 

🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻

2 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

10-1 sounds good right now. But I kinda want to get past game 11 at some point. Clark is too worried about how he’s gonna make funnies to the media. Pass. 

I wasn't even thinking GC.  I wouldn't see that as a good match for either party.  GC needs a coach with boundless energy who is still young enough to live, eat , and breathe Blue Devil Football.

7 hours ago, F@lcon said:

The thing with Reed is that the original group he inherited had some great talent (many playing college ball with most of them currently playing for Emory and Henry).  That is why the previous coach was ran out of town.  Abingdon is heavily influenced by Emory alumni so they wanted Reed (an Emory alum) to come in and lead the team.  This came back to bite them in the end.  The strength of the group lied in the explosive passing game with Sturgill, Yates brothers, Wallace, and others who could put up big numbers.  They had a good size line and athletes in the backfield.  The perfect mix for the spread offense.  Reed followed this plan early. Sturgill as a junior led the team fairly deep in the 3A playoffs and had some big college interest.  in the offseason, Reed proceeds to convert the team into a primarily running team and only throwing in desperate situations.  Numbers go down, Sturgill's stock dropped and the Falcons did not have the season everyone hoped for.  During the change in game plan instilled by Reed, he instructed the JV and 8th grade coaches to scrap any passing game and focus on the run game so that he could change the entire program leading up to him.  That caused much disruption with the coaching staff causing many to leave.  It ticked off influential parents and ran off a lot of kids in the program because everything they had been accustomed to and succeeded at had been yanked out from under them.

This is not uncommon for a new coach to change things to their style but this was too drastic of a change and, in my opinion, this doesn't work at the 3A level.  The reason 1A and 2A schools from this area are successful in the post season is because of the power game and smash mouth football. Our kids are typically big and strong and work hard to succeed.  At the 3A level, once you get away from southwest VA you find teams with a better crop of athletes and the speed of the secondary shut you down.  That made the spread, high flying offense effective for Abingdon.  You can see similar comparisons in the 2A with Graham's speed in the secondary.  Reed may be a good coach at Gate City because their program was built on the power run game but I don't think he is equipped to coach different styles. 

Spot on... When Abingdon won it was his team ,when they lost it was their team....it boils down to all about him