Akers Out at GC?

LongTimeSWVAFan

On the auto racing forum that I frequent, we have a HOF (Hall of Fame) section for the best of the best threads and we have a SOS (S--- of Shame) section for the worst of the worst threads.  I recommend we have a section for those here and this thread is the first entry in the HOF section.  Lol

haha you are forgetting how good his old days playing and coaching.......

I hope someone brings Gate City back, it used to be a fun game to go and watch and was a good rivalry game at one point, now to most people it is a win marked on the schedule.

On 11/9/2018 at 2:04 PM, falconfan1 said:

I'll help too.

Why is Grape so bitter?  If anyone else has success, he and a few others just try to tear it down.  I do know that he was wanting to help Coach Reed at Abingdon.  How is that for sour grapes?

He got fired. 

31 minutes ago, UnionHokie said:

Has anyone thought about Mike Rhodes former D-coordinator for Union and current Eastside head coach. I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure he lives in Gate City.

He went 4-7. It would be like hiring Akers again. He’s probably wishing he didn’t leave from under the wing of Turner. 

9 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

He went 4-7. It would be like hiring Akers again. He’s probably wishing he didn’t leave from under the wing of Turner. 

Losing guys like Matthew Sexton,Luke Lawson...etc had something to do with that. He will have Eastside a CD contender PDQ. I feel confident saying that.

44 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Do you know about Rhodes coaching experience? 

8 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I doubt very much that he is wishing he didn't leave.  He's tickled to death to be a head coach from what I hear.  Plus, he's coaching at a school with very nice facilities in the Cumberland District.

5 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

They were CD champs in 2017, he wasn’t able to help them retain that title. 

We both know that in D1 that one great player can carry a team to a title. Eastside lost several good players

5 minutes ago, SavageSam said:

Reading this thread makes me feel sorry for whoever takes this job and tries to rebuild it. Keyboard coaches who are to sorry to get a degree and try their hand in coaching think they know everything. Here's to hoping GC goes 1-9 forever!

Just want the right guy. Why hire someone with a 4-7 head coaching record? He hasn’t proved anything. You roll the dice when you hire a guy like that, a lot like the Akers hire and here we are 3 years and 24 losses later. 

Why would someone go spend money to get a degree and take a coaching job for it just to be pay cut? 

33 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Never heard of him until he took the Eastside job. Looks like he was at Union for 4 years, coached line-backers at UVA-WISE, and coached at Appy. What am I missing? Something there supposed to wow me? 

At this point, you really believe Gate City will get a better hire?

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

At this point, you really believe Gate City will get a better hire?

Than a dude that won 4 games at Coeburn? 

GC will be the #6 or #7 seeded team in the 2019 Div 2 playoffs... where they will get smoked by Graham, Richlands, Union, etc. & that’s ok. Before Reed retires from GC he will win a state title (As they more often than not tend to do). That is reality. 

15 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

GC will be the #6 or #7 seeded team in the 2019 Div 2 playoffs... where they will get smoked by Graham, Richlands, Union, etc. & that’s ok. Before Reed retires from GC he will win a state title (As they more often than not tend to do). That is reality. 

More often than not is actually not a reality.

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

The delusion of y’all’s fanbase is baffling.