Akers Out at GC?

LongTimeSWVAFan

4 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Than a dude that won 4 games at Coeburn? 

GC will be the #6 or #7 seeded team in the 2019 Div 2 playoffs... where they will get smoked by Graham, Richlands, Union, etc. & that’s ok. Before Reed retires from GC he will win a state title (As they more often than not tend to do). That is reality. 

I will bet almost anything you want that Darren Reed will not win a state title at Gate City.  You guys light up the DSM-V like a Christmas tree...

I don't think Reed is the answer, as far as head coach, but he needs to be on the sideline. I don't see GC winning a state title "soon", but to think they won't win another one is ridiculous. I also don't see the turnaround taking as long as most would like to think. Depending on the hire....of course.

2 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

I don't think Reed is the answer, as far as head coach, but he needs to be on the sideline. I don't see GC winning a state title "soon", but to think they won't win another one is ridiculous. I also don't see the turnaround taking as long as most would like to think. Depending on the hire....of course.

It takes special players and quality coaching to win a state title.  Does GC have those special players in their foreseeable future?

18 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I didn't say you weren't aware of what it takes.....I simply asked the question do you have those players coming?  

Not in the next few years most likely.  Little league is a mess, so if those athletes are there, they may not even participate in the sport. GC could be relevant again, but I think it's going to be a long process.  Darren (or Jeremy) could get it done, but who knows if the patience will be there to afford him (or anyone else) the time to turn it around.  

33 minutes ago, used2blarge said:

Darren (or Jeremy) could get it done, but who knows if the patience will be there to afford him (or anyone else) the time to turn it around.  

It's gonna take a lot of patience. After these two applicants what successful coach with experience would be remotely interested in the Gate City job? It's a basketball school, they play the toughest out of district schedule in SWVA, their AD seems clueless, youth program participation is poor and they are in a conference with 2 traditional powers plus a decent 3A school. The only glimmer of hope they have is that Sullivan County consolidation provides an influx of football players. This program is nowhere what it used to be. 

1 hour ago, Widespread_Panic said:

It's gonna take a lot of patience. After these two applicants what successful coach with experience would be remotely interested in the Gate City job? It's a basketball school, they play the toughest out of district schedule in SWVA, their AD seems clueless, youth program participation is poor and they are in a conference with 2 traditional powers plus a decent 3A school. The only glimmer of hope they have is that Sullivan County consolidation provides an influx of football players. This program is nowhere what it used to be. 

Agree with most of this.  I know school size is a factor, but it wasn't a big of an issue in the old Highlands district (dating myself with that, I know).  Those teams beat bigger schools on a routine basis.  

In ‘97 GC beat Jefferson Forrest in the State Semis...they are a legitimate Division 4 school. 

Yes, worth noting that we also lost to both PV and Appy in the regular season that year — with all 3 of those team winning state titles. 

I’m not sure SWVA as a whole has late 90’s level talent on the immediate horizon...much less GC. But, we have historically been competitive on a state level every decade since Virginia football playoffs began in 1970 (Didn’t win one in the 80’s with the Fry - Colobro transition, but had a couple deep runs). We still have the kids...including LL...just need to get them in the system early and then out of the HS halls and on the team. Easier to type than to actually do, but completely do-able — with the right staff.

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

He made Central pretty darned “special”.

Come on, man. You’re going to criticize a man for not winning at Wise? Even the opinions you have in which we differ are generally fact-based. This is a reach. Glynn Carlock couldn’t have won at Wise. 

7 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

He made Central pretty darned “special”.

I'll probably rile some folks here but here goes: Darren Reed while he may be a douche to many was not the issue at Central. My son loved playing for him and said that when he started playing at E&H and the others were whining at the beginning,he was saying to himself "Hell Coach Reed worked us harder than this". At the time Darren was at CHS NOBODY would have won due to the culture and politics. I am very hopeful that this is finally changing at CHS. ,.You'll not find a harder working man in that line of work than Reed. He just had a bunch that was pampered,spoiled,and too many whiny,griping parents to deal with at CHS

Just now, who? said:

When they going to make a hire?   Need to get in weight room and start working on next year.  

Dude you gotta pump the brakes. The playoffs are going on and if a coach is interested in the job and his team is in the playoffs, they have a job to do. I would not expect a hire before January at the earliest, unless they already have their man. 

2 hours ago, who? said:

When they going to make a hire?   Need to get in weight room and start working on next year.  

I don’t want to rush it. I am sure they will take applications up until the 1st of the year.

Also, I’m not sure what the rules are with coach led workouts are nowadays while the playoffs are going on.

I haven’t seen much movement at the fieldhouse the few week day evenings I have drove by. 

But even if they don’t hire someone and we are free to have organized after school weight lifting/conditioning, Reed would easily lead that until someone (or himself) is named. Reed is the guy who needs to lead the strength and conditioning program again anyways. He was always evolving and finding new ways to make everyone bigger, faster, stronger. 

Not sure who the guy is gonna be, but I’d let Coach Reed run with it if I were him. Unless that guy is a connoisseur in that department. 

4 hours ago, Grapeape said:

The guy from Gretna that we blasted for the 2010 chip? What’s he ever won? 

He won a title at Gretna. Coaching in Atlanta area no making six figures. I guess Reed is a better coach than him too though😂. Reed is a program killer dude. Move on from him. You would make a better coach. And I wouldn’t let you coach pnut football. 

Edited by Hhsdevils93
Auto correct victim

10 minutes ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

He won a title at Gretna. Coaching in Atlanta area no making six figures. I guess Reed is a better coach than him too though😂. Reed is a program killer dude. Move on from him. You would make a better coach. And I wouldn’t let you coach punt football. 

Know nothing at all about reed but I bet he is a better human being than Kevin Saunders