Akers Out at GC?

LongTimeSWVAFan

3 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

That’s great but coaches are measured on wins and losses not on hugs and telling kids everything is going to be alright. 

I don't care what you judge him on...I want my coach to win AND be a good human being...luckily my coach is both...Saunders won games yes but he is a POS human being

7 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Kevin Saunders would disagree.

He didn’t exactly burn it up at Kelly...he won roughly 3/5 of his games and was 0-3 in the playoffs. Really, the biggest thing he accomplished was beating Powell Valley in 1999...and that’s about it.

1 hour ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

He won a title at Gretna. Coaching in Atlanta area no making six figures. I guess Reed is a better coach than him too though😂. Reed is a program killer dude. Move on from him. You would make a better coach. And I wouldn’t let you coach punt football. 

Notice how none of those sterling accomplishments came AT WISE. Do you remember the GC offense that turned Gretna’s defense into a smoking black hole on their way to the state title? That OC’s name was Darren Reed. If WINNING hurts then Darren Reed is having blue balls while passing a kidney stone. And wtf is punt football? Go sit down. 

3 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I don’t want to rush it. I am sure they will take applications up until the 1st of the year.

Also, I’m not sure what the rules are with coach led workouts are nowadays while the playoffs are going on.

I haven’t seen much movement at the fieldhouse the few week day evenings I have drove by. 

But even if they don’t hire someone and we are free to have organized after school weight lifting/conditioning, Reed would easily lead that until someone (or himself) is named. Reed is the guy who needs to lead the strength and conditioning program again anyways. He was always evolving and finding new ways to make everyone bigger, faster, stronger. 

Not sure who the guy is gonna be, but I’d let Coach Reed run with it if I were him. Unless that guy is a connoisseur in that department. 

Can't lift weights until the VHSL winter sports dead period ends, runs through Thursday I think.

As far as coaches helping in weight lifting. What happened to kids going to the weight room and lifting by themselves. Gotta have a little want to about yourself to want to get better, coaches cant hold your hand all the time. I say clean house from top to bottom in the football program and bring someone in who can start his own program and run it the way he wants it and try and turn things around. Seems like coaches around here just keep getting shuffled around.......

Edited by #BBN

It IS possible to win at Wise.

Historically, Wise/JJ Kelly was not a barren wasteland of football success. They had a respectable .540 winning percentage  The Indians battled with Cummins' Green Wave teams in the '70s for LPD Crowns.  JJK even won state in '81.  Stecker, Sauders, and Salyers all found some success coaching there.  But the problem was when JJK had bad years, they were REALLY bad, and that is what most people tend to remember.

source: fourseasonsfootball.com

16 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Historically, Wise/JJ Kelly was not a barren wasteland of football success. They had a respectable .540 winning percentage  The Indians battled with Cummins' Green Wave teams in the '70s for LPD Crowns.  JJK even won state in '81.  Stecker, Sauders, and Salyers all found some success coaching there.  But the problem was when JJK had bad years, they were REALLY bad, and that is what most people tend to remember.

WC & the high schools that formed it is a fine school for sports with multiple successful programs, & no one program is ultimately more important than another. 

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

Notice how none of those sterling accomplishments came AT WISE. Do you remember the GC offense that turned Gretna’s defense into a smoking black hole on their way to the state title? That OC’s name was Darren Reed. If WINNING hurts then Darren Reed is having blue balls while passing a kidney stone. And wtf is punt football? Go sit down. 

Auto correct got me. Pnut football since you can’t figure it out sir. Saunders only stopped the PV win streak while at Kelly. As for his moral compass, I can’t speak on. 

I love how how you mention the GC defense shredding gretna then mention that reed was the OC. So does that mean the waterboy should get credit for any tackles made by a well hydrated LB?

Mic drop!

51 minutes ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

Auto correct got me. Pnut football since you can’t figure it out sir. Saunders only stopped the PV win streak while at Kelly. As for his moral compass, I can’t speak on. 

I love how how you mention the GC defense shredding gretna then mention that reed was the OC. So does that mean the waterboy should get credit for any tackles made by a well hydrated LB?

Mic drop!

So, KS’s great accomplishment is beating PV one time. 

Edited by Grapeape

9 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

So, KS’s great accomplishment is beating PV one time. Your final two sentences are so stupid that thousands of viewers are now questioning your intelligence, but you probably grew accustomed to that years ago. Go. Sit. Down. 

Just because you can’t follow the sarcasm, don’t get mad big guy. Go get a banana and maybe google some of the sarcasm. Maybe one day you will be taken seriously by the “thousands” of viewers on the board Rock. Perhaps you should try standing when you talk like most men do instead of stirring. 

Cant we all just have fun. You must be crushing hard on Reed😂

17 minutes ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

Just because you can’t follow the sarcasm, don’t get mad big guy. Go get a banana and maybe google some of the sarcasm. Maybe one day you will be taken seriously by the “thousands” of viewers on the board Rock. Perhaps you should try standing when you talk like most men do instead of stirring. 

Cant we all just have fun. You must be crushing hard on Reed😂

You said hard on ⬆️

😂

Sorry for yelling. 

2 hours ago, #BBN said:

As far as coaches helping in weight lifting. What happened to kids going to the weight room and lifting by themselves. Gotta have a little want to about yourself to want to get better, coaches cant hold your hand all the time. I say clean house from top to bottom in the football program and bring someone in who can start his own program and run it the way he wants it and try and turn things around. Seems like coaches around here just keep getting shuffled around.......

I’m sure for the kids to lift at the school as a team they have to wait for the dead period to expire.  Some kids probably lift and things on their own, no problem. Some kids probably don’t have access to a weight room other than the one at the school. And if there is a dead period, you’re just SOL. Unless you take Advance P.E. as a class which is highly recommended to all the student athletes. 

8 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Mack Shupe had a ton to do with the football program being down at JJK because he strongly discouraged the best athletes in the school,his baseball players to not play football. Had those athletes played,JJK would have been as good as anybody. That's a fact. Now the baseball program obviously had tremendous success,but the football program suffered for it.

I know who gate city should hire and it would sting the union base but Michael Rhodes would be a great fit there. I know he only won 4 ballgames at Eastside but the enrollment is different and that man can coach up a defense. He could bring Reed in as his OC and that you could be happy on both sides. Plus I know 1 Union kid personally that would really consider moving to gate city if that should happen he thought about following him to Eastside this year.

1 hour ago, Union's hammer said:

I know who gate city should hire and it would sting the union base but Michael Rhodes would be a great fit there. I know he only won 4 ballgames at Eastside but the enrollment is different and that man can coach up a defense. He could bring Reed in as his OC and that you could be happy on both sides. Plus I know 1 Union kid personally that would really consider moving to gate city if that should happen he thought about following him to Eastside this year.

Leatherhead Larry would spray paint his truck Dobyns Bennett maroon if Rhodes got hired at Gate City.  😄

14 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

He didn’t exactly burn it up at Kelly...he won roughly 3/5 of his games and was 0-3 in the playoffs. Really, the biggest thing he accomplished was beating Powell Valley in 1999...and that’s about it.

Considering J.J. Kelly had averaged 1 win a year for the previous 4 years before he arrived and then making 3 playoff appearances after his arrival is not bad. 

1 hour ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Considering J.J. Kelly had averaged 1 win a year for the previous 4 years before he arrived and then making 3 playoff appearances after his arrival is not bad. 

Never said it was bad, just said he didn't exactly burn it up...the results show that to be true.  Besides the PV win in 1999, he didn't beat hardly anyone he shouldn't have beaten on paper.  In his 3 playoff games at Kelly, he was 0-3 and the cumulative score was 97-13 with 2 shutouts...that comes out to an average of roughly 32-4.

17 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

Never said it was bad, just said he didn't exactly burn it up...the results show that to be true.  Besides the PV win in 1999, he didn't beat hardly anyone he shouldn't have beaten on paper.  In his 3 playoff games at Kelly, he was 0-3 and the cumulative score was 97-13 with 2 shutouts...that comes out to an average of roughly 32-4.

Definitely no Tom or Phil huh. 

17 minutes ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

Definitely no Tom or Phil huh. 

Not even making that comparison...just saying the nostalgia over Saunders is overblown.  Take into account that during his tenure at Kelly he was 5-14 vs district teams with winning records. (Wins were PV 99, Pound 00, Appy 01, Coeburn 01, Clintwood 02...that's it).

6 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

Not even making that comparison...just saying the nostalgia over Saunders is overblown.  Take into account that during his tenure at Kelly he was 5-14 vs district teams with winning records. (Wins were PV 99, Pound 00, Appy 01, Coeburn 01, Clintwood 02...that's it).

Poor ol Pound haha. Punching bag of the LPD. 

I wasnt making the comparison as an abrasive one. I was in agreence with you. 

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Leatherhead Larry would spray paint his truck Dobyns Bennett maroon if Rhodes got hired at Gate City.  😄

Doubt that. I hate DB! 

I’d support him and hope things turn out better than the last one. I’ll give anyone their fair chance. As I did Akers, but it doesn’t take me long to be able to judge if a coach is a good fit or if he knows what he is doing. I’ll support the man, whoever it may be. Until given reason not to. The lack of respect for the kids and the assistants along with their opinions on things during games or during practice did it for me. I had a close connection that played for Akers, I heard things he said and did that I lost ALL respect for him. People can say what they want about Akers and blah blah. But I believe this kid and his close friends I got to talk with about him. We need someone who the kids are going to buy into and respect. That’s gotta be the first order of business. 

1) Respect the pride and tradition 

2) Establish discipline

3) Believe in the kids

4) TEACH football

5) Be very involved in the LL program and promote it different ways, social media, trips with varsity players/coaches, cheerleaders and even the mascot to the elementary schools to convince kids to play, make the uniforms “COOL” so kids want to play. Make it worth playing.  Give everyone a bunch of time to sign up. Stop the stacking of teams, that I hear has been happening. Make winning the season have a reward, get rid of the “participation trophy”. 

6) Be the man you want the kids to grow up to be. Respect and trust the players and your assistant coaches. And you’ll earn yours. 

And bonus

7) Trash the ugly uniforms Akers wasted money on and get some blue helmets. LED scoreboard and hire someone to pressure wash the stadium and paint! It looks awful!

i don’t expect much...