Akers Out at GC?

LongTimeSWVAFan

5 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

So which direction do you think they are going?  I think they would be well advised to hire someone outside of the GC extended family, and try a new approach.  GC will always be a football town, and the right coach can bring them back to what they should be.  GC fans are true to their team, but they need to allow the new coach and his assistance, time to bring them back.  Wish the best for GC, but think they need to change the atmosphere with the HC hire.  Good luck

At the moment all signs point to Reed. Seems to be who many GC fans want.

12 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

At the moment all signs point to Reed. Seems to be who many GC fans want.

I was told Friday that Reed do not want the job! He said if he would have wanted to be a head coach he would have stayed at Abingdon, he has family issues and doesn't want the added pressure right now!

17 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

So which direction do you think they are going?  I think they would be well advised to hire someone outside of the GC extended family, and try a new approach.  GC will always be a football town, and the right coach can bring them back to what they should be.  GC fans are true to their team, but they need to allow the new coach and his assistance, time to bring them back.  Wish the best for GC, but think they need to change the atmosphere with the HC hire.  Good luck

The majority of the people in the community don't want an outsider, just ask LHL.

Sparky Anderson once said this, " People who live in the past generally are afraid to compete in the present. I've got my faults, but living in the past is not one of them.  There is no future in it."

This thread has covered..................... 

• Gate City football 
  • Mac McClung  
  • Gerald Sensenbaugh  
  • Billy Wagner 
  • Election day 2018
  • Mike Myers
  • CPR
  • Kevin Saunders
  • Luke Lawson
  • JJ Kelly
  • Hard on's
  • Philly Cheesesteaks  
  • Garden hoses
  • Palm readers
  • Sparky Anderson

This has to be a Hall of Fame thread!!!!!!!   I love this site!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I wonder why he interviewed. 🤔

Exactly. 

Reed, J. Houseright, or Rhodes 

It’s one of those 3  

We’ll know tomorrow night. The coach himself was notified today or will be today, from rumors I’ve heard. 

For the record, any of them will have 100% support from me. And I hope the rest of the GC community will do the same. 

Is that J Houseright as in Jake, the son of Bill? College experience doesn't always translate to successful coaching, but if Jake is the guy, intensity will not be an issue with Gate City. As far as defense goes, the dude learned from one of the best college D1/FBS coordinators. 

32 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Exactly. 

Reed, J. Houseright, or Rhodes 

It’s one of those 3  

We’ll know tomorrow night. The coach himself was notified today or will be today, from rumors I’ve heard. 

For the record, any of them will have 100% support from me. And I hope the rest of the GC community will do the same. 

Change your mind about Rhodes? 

On 11/11/2018 at 12:36 AM, Leatherhead Larry said:

He went 4-7. It would be like hiring Akers again. He’s probably wishing he didn’t leave from under the wing of Turner. 

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Is that J Houseright as in Jake, the son of Bill? College experience doesn't always translate to successful coaching, but if Jake is the guy, intensity will not be an issue with Gate City. As far as defense goes, the dude learned from one of the best college D1/FBS coordinators. 

Jeremy, brother of Jake, son of Bill, cousin of Chad Beasley.

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

J as in Jeremy

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

Change your mind about Rhodes? 

Never had my mind made up. I just made a statement. I’d support him like I said. I never said I wouldn’t did I?...didn’t think so.  If he does get it, I hope he cares about the kids and has some fire and works on fundamentals. 

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Jeremy. 

6 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Never had my mind made up. I just made a statement. I’d support him like I said. I never said I wouldn’t did I?...didn’t think so.  If he does get it, I hope he cares about the kids and has some fire and works on fundamentals. 

Just reminding you of what you said....

On 11/11/2018 at 12:30 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

Never heard of him until he took the Eastside job. Looks like he was at Union for 4 years, coached line-backers at UVA-WISE, and coached at Appy. What am I missing? Something there supposed to wow me? 

On 11/11/2018 at 12:44 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

Just want the right guy. Why hire someone with a 4-7 head coaching record? He hasn’t proved anything. You roll the dice when you hire a guy like that, a lot like the Akers hire and here we are 3 years and 24 losses later. 

“Akers Out at GC?” Scoreboard as 8:00 PM December 3, 2018
31 Current High Schools: Gate City, Abingdon, Wise Central, Appomattox, Graham, Chilhowie, Sullivan North, Sullivan South, Rural Retreat, Fort Chiswell, Grayson, John Battle, Galax, Tazewell, Sullivan Central, DB, Volunteer, Northwood, Va High, Pebblebrook (GA), Union, Eastside, Richlands, Jefferson Forest, Gretna, Tennessee, Rye Cove, Greeneville, David Crockett, Ridgeview, George Wythe
7 Former High Schools: Powell Valley, Appalachia, JJ Kelly, Pound, Coeburn, Clintwood, Haysi
1 Middle Schools: Blountville
1 Future High Schools: West Ridge (Tn)
1 Credit Union: Eastman
28 Coaches: Chris Akers, Darren Reed, Jeremy Houseright, Graham Clark, Garrett Amburgey, Jones, Robbie Norris, B. Houseright, Hilton, Tiller, Harry Fry, Nic Colobro, Chris Thurman, Tom Turner, Phil Robbins, Ralph Cummins, Paul Johnson, Gerald Sensabaugh, Kevin Saunders, Travis Turner, Mike Rhodes, Mack Shupe, Glynn Carlock, Kevin Saunders, James Colley, Greg Mance, Caine Ballard, Hugh Freeze
4 Non-Football Sports: Basketball, Baseball,  Track & Field, Volleyball
9 Levels of Football-HS, JV, Middle School, Little League, PNUT, D1, D2, D3, NFL
8 Offenses: Split back Veer, Non-Split back Veer, The T, The Spread, The I, Single Wing, Midline Option, RPO Pistol
4 Districts: Cumberland, M7, Highlands, Lonesome Pine
4 Current Players: Ervin, McCamis, Dean, Cam Allen
2 Current D1 Players-McClung, S Peoples
9 local former D1 Stars: Thomas Jones, Julies Jones, Heath Miller, Josh Shoemaker, Justin Hamilton, Ahmad Bradshaw, Jake Houseright, Chad Beasley, Calvin Talford
9 Colleges: Va Tech, Georgetown, Emory & Henry, Davidson, Wake Forest, App State, Ga Tech, UVA-Wise, ETSU
1 NFL Team: Packers
2 MLB Teams: Royals, Phillies
1 NBA Legend: Tim Duncan
2 MLB Pitchers-Billy Wagner, Jimmy Gobble
3 Cooking Appliances: Microwave, Crock Pot, Pizza Oven
2 Actors/Actresses: Mike Myers, Kathy Bates
2 Scary Things: Zombies, The Devil
3 Desserts: Frosty, Hot Fudge Cake, Oreo Milkshake
8 Foods: Turkey, Fried Fish, Pizza, Cheese Stix, Curly cheese fries, Philly Cheese Steak, Cinnamon Stix, Kale Salad, Bacon 3 Cheese Steak
2 TV Shows: The Walking Dead, King of the Hill
9 Restaurants: Campus, Pizza Plus, Hob Knob, Subway, Jimmy John’s, Lyon’s Den, Charlie’s, Miller’s (Mennonite), Tiger Market Deli
1 Wife mention: SXSW’s 
1 Girlfriend mention: Havok’s 

14 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

31 Current High Schools: Gate City, Abingdon, Wise Central, Appomattox, Graham, Chilhowie, Sullivan North, Sullivan South, Rural Retreat, Fort Chiswell, Grayson, John Battle, Galax, Tazewell, Sullivan Central, DB, Volunteer, Northwood, Va High, Pebblebrook (GA), Union, Eastside, Richlands, Jefferson Forest, Gretna, Tennessee, Rye Cove, Greeneville, David Crockett, Ridgeview, George Wythe
7 Former High Schools: Powell Valley, Appalachia, JJ Kelly, Pound, Coeburn, Clintwood, Haysi
28 Coaches: Chris Akers, Darren Reed, Jeremy Houseright, Graham Clark, Garrett Amburgey, Jones, Robbie Norris, B. Houseright, Hilton, Tiller, Harry Fry, Nic Colobro, Chris Thurman, Tom Turner, Phil Robbins, Ralph Cummins, Paul Johnson, Gerald Sensabaugh, Kevin Saunders, Travis Turner, Mike Rhodes, Mack Shupe, Glynn Carlock, Kevin Saunders, James Colley, Greg Mance, Caine Ballard, Hugh Freeze
9 Levels of Football-HS, JV, Middle School, Little League, PNUT, D1, D2, D3, NFL
8 Offenses: Split back Veer, Non-Split back Veer, The T, The Spread, The I, Single Wing, Midline Option, RPO Pistol
9 local former D1 Stars: Thomas Jones, Julies Jones, Heath Miller, Josh Shoemaker, Justin Hamilton, Ahmad Bradshaw, Jake Houseright, Chad Beasley, Calvin Talford
9 Colleges: Va Tech, Georgetown, Emory & Henry, Davidson, Wake Forest, App State, Ga Tech, UVA-Wise, ETSU
8 Foods: Turkey, Fried Fish, Pizza, Cheese Stix, Curly cheese fries, Philly Cheese Steak, Cinnamon Stix, Kale Salad, Bacon 3 Cheese Steak
9 Restaurants: Campus, Pizza Plus, Hob Knob, Subway, Jimmy John’s, Lyon’s Den, Charlie’s, Miller’s (Mennonite), Tiger Market Deli

And a partridge in a pear tree!

37 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams 

13 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Now if you can just turn into Joe Bob Briggs and tell us how many car chases, dead bodies and breasts we will see in the movie, then you will have hit everything I believe... 😄

Hello to All,

AM not sure who to ask...But are anyway we can LOCK this post out..seems like a lot people are mad at each other over it...Also it all OVER now...Their a new coach...and good luck to Gate City🏈

Thanks

8 minutes ago, UNION#ATW said:

Hello to All,

AM not sure who to ask...But are anyway we can LOCK this post out..seems like a lot people are mad at each other over it...Also it all OVER now...Their a new coach...and good luck to Gate City🏈

Thanks

0% chance this HoF thread gets locked lol. This thing is a gold mine.