Union @ Battle

Union_Fan

While I disagree with the play calling on nearly every single call, every single possession every single game, I’m not sure it’s ENTIRELY on the staff. The handicaps on offense throwing the ball REALLY put us in a bind. As much as I hate the calls that we have to make offensively i.e, runs on 3rd and long etc. I’m not sure I trust the offense enough to throw it on 3rd and 12 with the defense sending the House. Or just rushing 4 for that matter. 

Observations from today:

• Playoff football should be played on Saturdays....period.
  • Crowd was sparse for what I thought it should have been.
  • This is in general, not just these two teams  (I'm surprised by the lack of throwing skills by HS QBs these days).  With all the 7-on-7 they play these days, I just don't see it transferring to the real games.  Maybe I'm expecting too much......
  • Union is a solid team, especially on defense, but far from the contender they were last year.

2 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

While I disagree with the play calling on nearly every single call, every single possession every single game, I’m not sure it’s ENTIRELY on the staff. The handicaps on offense throwing the ball REALLY put us in a bind. As much as I hate the calls that we have to make offensively i.e, runs on 3rd and long etc. I’m not sure I trust the offense enough to throw it on 3rd and 12 with the defense sending the House. Or just rushing 4 for that matter. 

I don't disagree, but it's on the staff for not developing a more diverse and dangerous passing game. Even with limitations, you should at least throw different looks and route combinations even if you have no intention of doing more than throwing to the checkdown out of backfield or the five yard curl. If a defense thinks you might throw it over the middle or may target someone they aren't expecting, it forces them to respect that in coverage and can open up the field. Union never even tries to throw the ball in the middle of the field or has multiple receivers running different routes. It's just too many screen passes, hitches, and corners with the occasional (meaning once every three weeks lol) deep shot. 

Some of the calls today were headscratching to say the least. 3rd and 7 or so, near midfield-sweep to the short side of the field. Then, on 4th and approx. 3, Union runs a QB misdirect run? Really? Turner isn't very mobile at all any more and you have four runners capable of making plays, yet that's the call?

I'm not downing Turner (QB) in the least, he's a high school kid doing his best and always gives 100% effort every second, but sometimes I think the staff doesn't put him in great positions to succeed.

And the staff HAS TO be more organized in their substitution patterns. Too many times the players running off and on were completely confused after given two different calls or having the call changed at the last minute. That hasn't happened often much this year but it happened a couple times today. 

this. i really dont understand not throwing to the middle of the field. if im in the press box talking to travis on the head set id tell him to fire me if tour not going to try to take what the opposition is giving us. teams are daring us to throw it there and we dont even try. if we dont advance its on our coaches cause they are not taking whats givien to us. i love our kids vbut there not being put in positions to sucseed because of all our pack pack wearing coaches. its really frustrating when you talk to the kids and they even know how bad play calling is.