Union @ Battle

Union_Fan

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

It was a pig pen out there tonight, so I guess we should take that into consideration. Assuming it's dry this week, maybe we will see what both teams can do. Playoffs will be interesting for sure!

More rain in the forecast this week. 

9 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I probably typed that with a bit of emotion over logic. Unions Defense played very well, however it isn’t too difficult to stop the same play 40+ times a game. I can’t understand the incredibly vanilla play calling from battle. It was even More vanilla than Unions, and that says a lot. I’ve lost any faith I had left that the Union offense will come together. It comes down to our running game and hoping we can break a couple big plays a game. It’s pretty much all we have. 

You just summed up Unions offense for the last 8 seasons so this year isn’t a surprise. The conditions last night were terrible which basically eliminated Jenkins’ speed. Stidham ran the ball well which was good to see after he struggled last week to hold onto the ball. Falin’s TD catch was pretty impressive. The D did play well but Battle was bad offensively. That’s the worst field conditions I’ve seen in a long time. A wet field is one thing, ponds of water are another story.  Bullitt was wet last week but drained and held up pretty well. I remember Battle being that way  in years past so I don’t think it’s the construction. 

It is not the construction the field has always had drainage problems and even when it sprinkles ponds form on the field, I have played on that field whenever it was pretty wet but I have never seen battle attempt to play whenever both sidelines are puddles and you can't tell where out of bounds is.

20 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I probably typed that with a bit of emotion over logic. Unions Defense played very well, however it isn’t too difficult to stop the same play 40+ times a game. I can’t understand the incredibly vanilla play calling from battle. It was even More vanilla than Unions, and that says a lot. I’ve lost any faith I had left that the Union offense will come together. It comes down to our running game and hoping we can break a couple big plays a game. It’s pretty much all we have. 

One thing is for sure, it will be easy to show a new play or two next week for both teams.

Unions Defense obviously done it’s job by pitching a shutout, no matter who you play, anytime you get a shutout it’s worth talking about!!!

As far as Unions offense goes, if the running game ain’t working and they get behind you can just about count them out. Not developed a passing game by week 10, and I don’t see it developing by week 11, so hopefully Jenkins and company in the backfield can get things going early and the defense can pitch another shutout or limit scoring!!

On 11/2/2018 at 11:41 PM, Union_Fan said:

It was a pig pen out there tonight, so I guess we should take that into consideration. Assuming it's dry this week, maybe we will see what both teams can do. Playoffs will be interesting for sure!

I didn't get to go to game but the guys on the radio said that they offered to send a helicopter to help dry field and Battles coach waived them off, any truth to that?

3 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I didn't get to go to game but the guys on the radio said that they offered to send a helicopter to help dry field and Battles coach waived them off, any truth to that?

That's the first I heard of that. Although I don't think it would have worked. They tried that at Riggs stadium many years ago. I was told it was a colossal fail.

Would have been cool to see though. Haha 

29 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

That's the first I heard of that. Although I don't think it would have worked. They tried that at Riggs stadium many years ago. I was told it was a colossal fail.

Would have been cool to see though. Haha 

Thanks, seems like it would have been a little dangerous to do at halftime with people in the seats.

39 minutes ago, bristol8434 said:

Any chance this game gets moved to a different day or different venue such as UVA Wise???

I wish, but HIGHLY doubt it. Supposed to rain Thursday also and Union's volleyball team host a quarter final game on Saturday at 4 pm. Although I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the game were moved to UVA Wise, I find it unlikely.

field is in good shape, but after Friday it may be in bad shape.If we win FRIDAY the following week would mean that we would host again, in the past the VHSL has stepped in if the field is worn out and muddy.It really makes sense to move the game to 7pm on SAT.that way the VB GIRLS game is over and the field can dry out some. YEARS ago we played for a state championship in a cow pasture on the eastern shore and again here at THE PARK against SUSSEX CENTRAL .both games featured a very muddy field and sloppy play by the opposing team, we played very poorly in the last two wet games, i just think that a wet sloppy night may turn into a game where the best team looses.

Cold and Sunny day, with all the rain in Big Stone Gap yesterday, does this change the outcome of the game or change anyones thoughts on this game?

Are they already lined up at the gate at Bullitt?

I think Union needs to establish the ground and pound game early.......getting Jenkins going quick and maybe hit a few big plays early. Would be nice to get the running game going and then hit Falin or Giza from the tight end position to keep Battle honest. I think Union is a lot better team than what they showed last week.  Defense done its job last week and hopefully they step up big again this week. WIth Polier being back on defense it only makes the Bears D stronger.

Playcalling wasn't great at times, but the run game was on point. Stidham was well over 100 yards on the day and Jenkins, Polier, and Guerrant all had big runs. 

The defense was lights out, harassing the Battle option attack all game long.