Bulletin Board Material

Bearcat Dad

Has anyone else on the board realized how much of an impact this kick-ass message board has in our region in multiple sports?

There is a high number of coaches around the region in different sports that keep up with what we say on here. A lot of those coaches know “Bearcat Dad” as being the father of one of the region’s top athletes. I honestly take it as an honor that any coach, including coaches at VHS, care at all about what I have to say.

I respect ALL high school coaches in our region for all sports. I actually do understand the amount of time that they put in for very little pay. The time they spend with their athletes takes away from their families. That is a tough thing to do, but honorable, when the ultimate goal is to make a positive impact in the lives of so many young men and women in our region.

With that said, I have learned that some of my posts, on both the baseball and football boards, have fired some coaches up to the point of using them as “bulletin board material” for their teams.

I’ve had over 500 posts in my short time here, and there hasn’t been a single one to ever degrade or bad mouth a coach or player. I would never do that. I’m a VHS guy, but I respect the hell out of all coaches. I only post stuff I believe to be 100% true and without bias. If I’m wrong, I will always eat my plate of crow.

My name is Doug Rose and this board has allowed me to do something that I enjoy, and take great pride in, which is talking about high school sports in SWVA, not only on here, but as a staff member at Coalfieldsports.com as well.

I’ll end this post with a respectful message to a coach that I have the ultimate respect for. One that I have spoken to personally before, that is in no way affiliated with VHS.....

Good luck to you, coach. I have expressed to you my respect for you and your program. You have done, and will no doubt, continue to do great things there. I can GUARANTEE that Bearcat Son thrives in competition, just like his old man, and he will be ready if the opportunity presents itself.

There is no disrespect whatsoever  intended by my words. People who know me know that I am a straight shooter. 

Good luck to ALL teams in the region this week as we get ready for some playoff football!

TWHS is the same way. Those in power know who I am, along with the football coach, basketball coach, and athletic director. And finding out who I am is incredibly simple if you follow TWHS.

I actively defend my school, probably more than I should.

I also am a 2 sport coach while being an active poster who tries to give info about TWHS. However, I do filter a lot that I post out of respect for the other coaches. They may not want all of that information out.

With that said a lot of students do view this forum along with the coaches. (Which might be why we have won two POWs this year)

You'll probably see me become more reclusive due to my sports picking up.

30 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Has anyone else on the board realized how much of an impact this kick-ass message board has in our region in multiple sports?

There is a high number of coaches around the region in different sports that keep up with what we say on here. A lot of those coaches know “Bearcat Dad” as being the father of one of the region’s top athletes. I honestly take it as an honor that any coach, including coaches at VHS, care at all about what I have to say.

I respect ALL high school coaches in our region for all sports. I actually do understand the amount of time that they put in for very little pay. The time they spend with their athletes takes away from their families. That is a tough thing to do, but honorable, when the ultimate goal is to make a positive impact in the lives of so many young men and women in our region.

With that said, I have learned that some of my posts, on both the baseball and football boards, have fired some coaches up to the point of using them as “bulletin board material” for their teams.

I’ve had over 500 posts in my short time here, and there hasn’t been a single one to ever degrade or bad mouth a coach or player. I would never do that. I’m a VHS guy, but I respect the hell out of all coaches. I only post stuff I believe to be 100% true and without bias. If I’m wrong, I will always eat my plate of crow.

My name is Doug Rose and this board has allowed me to do something that I enjoy, and take great pride in, which is talking about high school sports in SWVA, not only on here, but as a staff member at Coalfieldsports.com as well.

I’ll end this post with a respectful message to a coach that I have the ultimate respect for. One that I have spoken to personally before, that is in no way affiliated with VHS.....

Good luck to you, coach. I have expressed to you my respect for you and your program. You have done, and will no doubt, continue to do great things there. I can GUARANTEE that Bearcat Son thrives in competition, just like his old man, and he will be ready if the opportunity presents itself.

There is no disrespect whatsoever  intended by my words. People who know me know that I am a straight shooter. 

Good luck to ALL teams in the region this week as we get ready for some playoff football!

I don't that I've ever seen a post of yours that would be considered "bulletin board material". I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best at conveying what I am thinking into text. Sometimes emotion is hard to pick up in texts as well. Your posts that I've read have always been in good taste. 

Keep posting and keep writing articles. We enjoy it!

56 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

TWHS is the same way. Those in power know who I am, along with the football coach, basketball coach, and athletic director. And finding out who I am is incredibly simple if you follow TWHS.

I actively defend my school, probably more than I should.

I also am a 2 sport coach while being an active poster who tries to give info about TWHS. However, I do filter a lot that I post out of respect for the other coaches. They may not want all of that information out.

With that said a lot of students do view this forum along with the coaches. (Which might be why we have won two POWs this year)

You'll probably see me become more reclusive due to my sports picking up.

Kudos to you, sir!

I have not had the pleasure of coaching at the high school level, and I don’t claim to have the ability to do so, but I do have over 20 years experience in coaching youth sports, and it is a great feeling when you have a positive impact on a young person’s life.

In a year’s time, I will have two kids who are college athletes. I have tried very hard to make sure that they work hard to reach their goals in life and so far, they have. I’ve tried to relay that same message to any youngster I’ve had the pleasure of sharing time with on a ballfield.

I am the type of person that is respectful, but also, I pull no punches when asked of my opinion when it comes to youth sports. I have a 30+ year relationship with VHS sports and I still fully support them, but as I’ve done on here before, I will give my honest opinion if asked about them. I do not hide behind a screen name and if I’m wrong about something, I will gladly admit it. I don’t let pride get in the way of something like that.

Good luck to you and your athletes at TW. We have a couple of ex-Bearcats over there that we have been rooting for, in Bristol.

7 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

I don't that I've ever seen a post of yours that would be considered "bulletin board material". I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best at conveying what I am thinking into text. Sometimes emotion is hard to pick up in texts as well. Your posts that I've read have always been in good taste. 

Keep posting and keep writing articles. We enjoy it!

Thank you, sir! That is much appreciated. 

I really do enjoy being involved in youth sports in our area. I stopped coaching for a while, because I have been following my daughter, who’s in college now, and my son, and I couldn’t give the up and coming youngsters the attention they needed if I were to continue coaching. This has been an enjoyable way to be involved without being involved (if that makes sense 😂)

I know for sure that there has been a coach or two in our area that has taken exception with an opinion of mine on certain matters. That has NEVER been my intention. I also know that other coaches I’ve met from throughout our region has applauded some things I’ve said on here.

Regardless of the topic, I know that coaches around here see what I write, but I’ve tried to get the message across that I never post with ill intent when talking about a coach/program/team, or especially a kid. Some people just don’t like others that aren’t afraid to speak the truth!

I think most people know who I am as well, and I have zero issues saying anything I've posted directly to someone if they felt offended. I truly try to never, ever bash a high school kid unless it's something really serious, like a crime was committed or they exhibited terrible sportsmanship or something like that. I feel like most people on here really don't go super hard on their coaches (aside from the Gate City folk) and realize it's mostly a thankless, time consuming and incredibly demanding job. 

But, I don't think it's the best idea for high school kids to read a message board and take it to heart. They should be listening to their coaches, parents and adults they trust, not a bunch of randos like us. I'd hate for a kids confidence to be shaken or someone to doubt themselves because of a random persons opinion. A coach should be confident enough to hear someone else's opinion and trust themselves but still be smart enough to realize some people may have a decent idea that may have been overlooked. 

this is honestly one of the more tame and "nicer" message boards out there. The mods ( who yes I've butted heads with before) do a good job of keeping the trolls at bay and maintaining a sense of decorum, it's a credit to G-Man and UVAO and everyone else running the asylum.

Most people in and around the "Twin Counties" (Grayson, Galax and Carroll) who follow high school sports know who I am based on my participation with this board.  I have never attempted to hide my identity through clever screen names.  My user ID is a childhood nickname and the same user ID for my social media accounts as well.  Most coaches at Galax have spoken to me about certain things posted in the past but it has always been light-hearted.  They mostly appreciate the support.  With that said, I have had a few members of the Galax school board attempt to argue over my points of view based on what they read here.  It's been a real pleasure arguing with them on occasion.  A couple of them are so incredibly full of themselves, it's quite nice to see them uncomfortable while struggling to counter.  I have to admit, though, my favorite member to argue with moved to Georgia this past summer.  He's a real tool!  I'm going to miss pissing him off!

I haven't had a parent or kid ever mention anything to me before.  Then again, I rarely mention kids by name on a public message board.  After all, they are kids.  

As @Bearcat Dad suggests in his post, I am appreciative of the how much of themselves these coaches give to the kids in our communities.  I can attest to the fact that the Galax coaching staff (pick a sport) are always the first in the building and the last to leave.  And in today's competitive culture, it's not just an "in-season" commitment, it's a 12-month commitment!

12 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Some people take this board WAY TOO SERIOUSLY!!!  Don't let it bother you...keep on posting like you always do!  You are, far and away, one of the most respectful posters on this board.

Having said that...

If someone wants bulletin board material, let me know.  I'll be glad to give you some...

Good posts by all here.

To quote a former President: “I never gave anybody Hell!  I just told the truth and they think it’s Hell.”  Approaching life this way has made me persona non grata to a significant number of folks (especially in Bluefield), and I’m OK with that.  I don’t play games and I know I’m not going to please everyone.  So be it.

I figure some of the things I say have made it into some locker rooms.  I want to see all teams reach their potential, and when a team falls well short of that (early season Graham), I’m not shy about letting it be known.  If anything I have said spurs on a person to reach his/her full potential, I am happy with that, be it praise or rebuke.  I’d rather the kids not read these boards for a multitude of reasons, but I know it happens, and likely to an extent that would amaze me.  

45 minutes ago, GMan said:

Some people take this board WAY TOO SERIOUSLY!!!  Don't let it bother you...keep on posting like you always do!  You are, far and away, one of the most respectful posters on this board.

Having said that...

If someone wants bulletin board material, let me know.  I'll be glad to give you some...

Amen to that!!

Thank you for the kind words. I truly do enjoy coming here to talk about what we all have in common. I admit that I’ve slipped up a couple times when a fellow poster wants to compare apples with oranges, but I do try to stay within the rules.

I commend you, @Ryan4VT, and everyone else for the job you guys do here. This board is certainly the best sports board that I’m a part of. I hate that I didn’t find this place years ago.

Ive been a mod on an official message board for an NFL team since 2005. I understand what a pain in the ass it can be to moderate a board with people from all walks of life. I like your hammer reference. I wish I would have thought of it years ago lol

7 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Good posts by all here.

To quote a former President: “I never gave anybody Hell!  I just told the truth and they think it’s Hell.”  Approaching life this way has made me persona non grata to a significant number of folks (especially in Bluefield), and I’m OK with that.  I don’t play games and I know I’m not going to please everyone.  So be it.

I figure some of the things I say have made it into some locker rooms.  I want to see all teams reach their potential, and when a team falls well short of that (early season Graham), I’m not shy about letting it be known.  If anything I have said spurs on a person to reach his/her full potential, I am happy with that, be it praise or rebuke.  I’d rather the kids not read these boards for a multitude of reasons, but I know it happens, and likely to an extent that would amaze me.  

Great points!

I agree on all accounts.

8 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

It's just funny some people would take the posts on this board that serious. The 😭😂😭 wasn't directed at you or your posts. 

I agree!! I’m out of likes, or I would have liked it lol

I don’t blame coaches I guess, in trying to find ways to fire their kids up. 

I’m with you, though. It’s a little funny lol