Coach of the Year in Region D 1A and Region D 2A

#BBN

Lets get some input on who everyone thinks the coaches of the year should be in Region D 1A and Region D 2A?

1A - I'll have to throw Thomas Walker head coach Nick Johnson in there, to take a team that was 2-8 two years ago to 7-2 this year and very well could of been 9-0 and 2 back to back playoff appearances. Hard to not throw out a vote for Johnson. Jimbo Adams is always in talks with this as well, because he always has Norton in the playoffs and ready to make a deep run.

2A - Someone throw some names out there in 2A, of course Rick Mullins at Ridgeview is always in question for this.......but who else would you guys nominate

36 minutes ago, #BBN said:

Lets get some input on who everyone thinks the coaches of the year should be in Region D 1A and Region D 2A?

1A - I'll have to throw Thomas Walker head coach Nick Johnson in there, to take a team that was 2-8 two years ago to 7-2 this year and very well could of been 9-0 and 2 back to back playoff appearances. Hard to not throw out a vote for Johnson. Jimbo Adams is always in talks with this as well, because he always has Norton in the playoffs and ready to make a deep run.

2A - Someone throw some names out there in 2A, of course Rick Mullins at Ridgeview is always in question for this.......but who else would you guys nominate

1D - Jeff Robinson, Mark Palmer, Nick Johnson 

All are great guys 

You know who's name should be out there.  Garrett Amburgey.  granted he isn't a 1A or 2A coach but the only 3A team in the coverage area usually gets overlooked.

Amburgey has only lead a team to much success this season that a lot of people considered out and in a rebuilding year with the coach getting the job 2 days before two a days.  Regardless of what people think, Amburgey has lifted Abingdon to new heights and energized the fan-base.

6 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

You know who's name should be out there.  Garrett Amburgey.  granted he isn't a 1A or 2A coach but the only 3A team in the coverage area usually gets overlooked.

Amburgey has only lead a team to much success this season that a lot of people considered out and in a rebuilding year with the coach getting the job 2 days before two a days.  Regardless of what people think, Amburgey has lifted Abingdon to new heights and energized the fan-base.

I don't know anything about him or his coaching history, but I can definitely say that Abingdon looked much better this year than last.

36 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

Agreed, Amburgey has took the Falcons to another level this year. I've not seen them in person but watched a little bit of the Union game on TV, and they looked pretty good. Hopefully they can win a few games in the playoffs.  He definitely has a solid foundation after his 1st year at the helm, and a great job has been done on such short notice.

I'd say Chilhowie and Ridgeview.  They we're both picked to do what they've went out and done and that's win.  Granted Ridgeview won't win the district but their only loss is to a 3A team.  They had the bullseye on their backs all year and stepped up to the challenge.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:45 PM, Falcon Mania said:

He's by far my vote. What he has done this year at AHS is truly remarkable

On 11/2/2018 at 2:31 PM, EH31 said:

1D - Jeff Robinson, Mark Palmer, Nick Johnson 

All are great guys 

Jeff Robinson has done a great job not letting all the hype get to his kids head.

Mark Palmer’s PH team really came out of no where for me. Now they don’t play the toughest schedule but they took care of business in those games. They also beat a play off bound battle team and hung 23 on chilhowie which 2 more scores than anyone else could do. 

Guest Graham WVU

Region D 2A Tony Palmer

32-5 in his last 3 seasons and 10-1 so far this season

He has turned that Graham football tradition back to what it use to be.

This one is a no-brainer for either choice.

Jeff Robinson of Chilhowie in 1A

Rick Mullins of Ridgeview in 2A

And if you are including 3A, Garrett Amburgey of Abingdon.  Guys, he took over head coaching duties within 2 weeks of the season starting at A-town.  He did a remarkable job.

1 hour ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

Rick Mullins at Ridgeview. The Wolfpack wasn’t supposed to make any noise this year. Beat Union early. Lost to 3A abingdon. Top seed in 2A. Still early in consolidation. Tough work to bring those kids together that quickly. 

They were picked as the preseason favorite for the M7 by many on this board, and plenty of us called them being the 1 seed in 2D. To me, they are exactly what I thought they’d be. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

They were picked as the preseason favorite for the M7 by many on this board, and plenty of us called them being the 1 seed in 2D. To me, they are exactly what I thought they’d be. 

I went back and looked at the preseason poll that I bases this off of. My mistake. The pack was ranked 13. But then I saw who’s poll it was. Same goober that you went sideways on for trying to throw mud on the loss of the Johnson man. I still think Mullins is a solid option for COY however. 

2 minutes ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

I went back and looked at the preseason poll that I bases this off of. My mistake. The pack was ranked 13. But then I saw who’s poll it was. Same goober that you went sideways on for trying to throw mud on the loss of the Johnson man. I still think Mullins is a solid option for COY however. 

I agree he's a very solid option. And he is who I'd vote for, if I had a vote lol.

I'd have to go with Abingdon and Thomas Walkers coaches because neither team was suppose to win as many games as they did.  It's hard for me to vote for a coach whose suppose to have a good team.  Turner also deserves a little credit, everyone questions his play calling and sometimes deservedly but to be 9-2 with how many kids he replaced is a pretty decent job.