Sproles Ejection (Ridgeview)

LongTimeSWVAFan

I have watched all kinds of high school football this year, and the actions of some of these kids are ridiculous!! I understand celebrating a big hit, a great offensive play, or a big game changing play, but this pushing, shoving, punch throwing, and taunting has got a bit out of hand. Some referee crews I have seen this year take care of it early in the game and don’t put up with it. Then some referee crews don’t take care of it early in the game and you have a dog fight all night which leads to ejections and fighting. 

Coaches in this area need to step up and make kids face consequences that are more stern than just a slap on the wrist.

I don’t know the kid personally but I did enjoy watching him play, heck of a football player and athlete. If film shows him throwing a punch then I think he needs to suffer the full extent of consequences, if film shows he didn’t throw a punch, let him play, and find out which referee crew it was and look into some consequences for them.

3 hours ago, jonah58 said:

In our game on the second play we hit a big pass (which got called back for holding) and Sproles ripped the helmet off of our reciever and slung it 15 yards down the sideline. Ironically, and amazingly, no penalty was called on that play, but he did later on have an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for jawing and shoving. I like the kid but this stuff some times gets out of hand. I'm not saying he did or didn't do it, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

If I remember correctly that game also featured a Central player who tried to spear (head to head) Adkins after he was tackled but missed and looked stupid.  He got called for it.  So don't speak only half truth and leave stuff out.

38 minutes ago, Bigtom said:

If I remember correctly that game also featured a Central player who tried to spear (head to head) Adkins after he was tackled but missed and looked stupid.  He got called for it.  So don't speak only half truth and leave stuff out.

If true the two events are not connected and what you speak of is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Bigtom said:

We were talking about Sproles and his history of unsportsmanlike play. Never once did I mention any Central kid not being guilty of anything.

You have picked 2 of my posts today and tried to pick a fight. You say you're from Wise and you know I am. What's your problem?

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

If true the two events are not connected and what you speak of is irrelevant. 

Not irrelevant because Jonah58 brought Sproles in the Central game into the convo which opened up a whole different story.  All I was saying is he is trying to make a certain player look like he is the ONLY one guilty when in fact every team has the same issue.

1 hour ago, jonah58 said:

We were talking about Sproles and his history of unsportsmanlike play. Never once did I mention any Central kid not being guilty of anything.

You have picked 2 of my posts today and tried to pick a fight. You say you're from Wise and you know I am. What's your problem?

And the player I am speaking of from Central has the same history.  Yes I am from Wise and have a grandchild playing at Central.  I have no issue at all with you or anyone on this board.  Just saying tell the whole story.

I read a tweet from Havok last week that Sproles got ejected, but he actually didn’t. But this week he actually did. I saw video on the helmet incident somewhere, not sure where I saw it. Sounds like it was coming eventually. Football is emotional, but you gotta stay within the rules. 

3 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I read a tweet from Havok last week that Sproiles got ejected, but he actually didn’t. But this week he actually did. I saw video on the helmet incident somewhere, not sure where I saw it. Sounds like it was coming eventually. Football is emotional, but you gotta stay within the rules. 

Havok said Adkins not Sproles but I do agree that you must stay within the rules and YES THAT DOES INCLUDE SPROLES.

Just now, Leatherhead Larry said:

Ah gotcha. My apologies. But it does sound like tempers need to be calmed down on the ridge. 

I cant speak on that as a whole with Ridgeview because I am not around like I am at Central. But it does seem that the game has changes so much since I played LOL.  Back in the day we policed ourselves to make sure a lot of whats going on didn't happen..  Or if it did we wouldn't wanna go home to face Mom or Dad because we wouldn't be able to sit for a week from the whippings.

1 minute ago, Bigtom said:

I cant speak on that as a whole with Ridgeview because I am not around like I am at Central. But it does seem that the game has changes so much since I played LOL.  Back in the day we policed ourselves to make sure a lot of whats going on didn't happen..  Or if it did we wouldn't wanna go home to face Mom or Dad because we wouldn't be able to sit for a week from the whippings.

you must be a lot older than I am, because even as a kid, I remember seeing fights and rough, sometimes dirty plays. Kids didn't showboat as much but back then I'd argue the game was even more violent. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

you must be a lot older than I am, because even as a kid, I remember seeing fights and rough, sometimes dirty plays. Kids didn't showboat as much but back then I'd argue the game was even more violent. 

That's what I was saying,  If we got hit and didn't fight back then we wouldn't wanna go home cause we knew what was coming.  Yes the game has changed so much.  I hardly hear pads pop anymore.  I played in the mid 60's

7 hours ago, jonah58 said:

In our game on the second play we hit a big pass (which got called back for holding) and Sproles ripped the helmet off of our reciever and slung it 15 yards down the sideline. Ironically, and amazingly, no penalty was called on that play, but he did later on have an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for jawing and shoving. I like the kid but this stuff some times gets out of hand. I'm not saying he did or didn't do it, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Not pointing fingers but coaches in general  need to nip that behavior early on and hold players more accountable for these actions. It shouldn't matter if a player is the star athlete, school board member's son, or any other player. It's the same concept with principals turning a deaf ear &  not holding bullies accountable, the problem only escalates over time. 

10 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Did you click on Twitter link in the post above? Twitter feed seems to point to he was ejected for throwing a punch which he denies and he also calls refs out on Twitter as "ridiculous" and says the Honaker player threw punch and he didn't react. Don't know if game will be support his claim or if it was even caught on tape since the incident was allegedly behind the play. 

Doesn't reflect well on the young man and his team if he is calling out officials on social media........just saying.

If he didn't do it, then the film will show it, so why not let the appeal process run its course.

1 hour ago, Bigtom said:

That's what I was saying,  If we got hit and didn't fight back then we wouldn't wanna go home cause we knew what was coming.  Yes the game has changed so much.  I hardly hear pads pop anymore.  I played in the mid 60's

I dunno bout all that, it seems like today kids are bigger and faster than before and every once in a while you'll see VICIOUS hits, but it's not as physical throughout the game. 

I'm one of the few who supports the new targeting rules and such, we don't need 15-18 year old kids getting multiple concussions or breaking their necks by lowering their heads, but the games are more spread out and more offensively down the field than ever before so there isn't as much physical, three yard offense. 

28 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Doesn't reflect well on the young man and his team if he is calling out officials on social media........just saying.

If he didn't do it, then the film will show it, so why not let the appeal process run its course.

Agree, kids need to stay off social media when these controversies arise. I remember reading an exchange between Richlands kicker & Union band member on Twitter after the "band" fiasco this year. An adult must have steered him in a different a direction, he deleted his Tweets. Sproles would probably do well to do the same. The thing these kids don't realize social media posts are forever. Posts have cost players scholarships etc. You're right, it's not a good look calling refs out. 

2 hours ago, Bigtom said:

And the player I am speaking of from Central has the same history.  Yes I am from Wise and have a grandchild playing at Central.  I have no issue at all with you or anyone on this board.  Just saying tell the whole story.

This thread isn't about any central kids getting ejected last night. There's no story to tell. I didn't leave anything out.

On 11/3/2018 at 2:08 AM, VHSLhelper said:

I can't rem. fighting ever being 2 games

It was 2 games until 2 years ago when it was changed to 3 games.  There had been some discussion about the differences in the penalty for fighting in football vs other sports with longer seasons as it cost a player a larger percentage  of their season.  I thought we may see a change in how many games you may be suspended increased in other sports to make them more similar on the influence of a season.  Instead, we saw it increase in its severity in football especially.  

On 11/3/2018 at 12:16 PM, jonah58 said:

That was his brother Alijah #48 in the Central game.  McKenzie was the one ejected Friday night, #14.

On 11/3/2018 at 6:18 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

I read a tweet from Havok last week that Sproles got ejected, but he actually didn’t. But this week he actually did. I saw video on the helmet incident somewhere, not sure where I saw it. Sounds like it was coming eventually. Football is emotional, but you gotta stay within the rules. 

On 11/3/2018 at 6:23 PM, Bigtom said:

Havok said Adkins not Sproles but I do agree that you must stay within the rules and YES THAT DOES INCLUDE SPROLES.

Boy... if everyone didn't know who ran the Twitter account before, they do now.  Lol