GC Head Coach

#BBN

16 hours ago, who? said:

Is there a better candidate out there than Darren reed?   He knows gc football.   Hc experience.   Abingdon still riding his coattails.   They will drop off next year.  If he don’t get the job... then Scott county school board is even dumber than what we think they are.   Give him a chance.  Give him at least 3 years.  That’s what Akers got.  If he can’t do it.  Then give houseright his chance.  If neither of those 2 work then scratch the program.  

That is laughable.  Sorry but there isn't a snowballs chance that Abingdon finishes this season 8-2 this year doing the same thing we did last season.  Let alone winning games against Union and Ridgeview and being the 3 seed to host a playoff game.  And before you say something to the effect I don't know..  My son is a senior and I've been around the program long enough to know.

33 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Ms. Ruby Wolfe & Mr. Stan Rogers we’re hired right out of college. Mr. Rogers graduated from Bluefield College in 75. Mrs. Rogers (Wolfe) May have been hired a year later after obtaining an advanced degree. The dates should be accurate. 

Stan Rogers was a class act to me!! I played against him in baseball when he was coaching and I enjoyed talking to him before and after games. 

9 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

GS would be a great coach at GC, but I can't see Scott County hiring him. If there's trash, he'll expose it. As far as the fans, I think we'd love him.

He'd also get things fixed that should've been fixed years ago. Like a PA system that doesn't cut out, a scoreboard that you can actually read, and get rid of the ugly *** gray britches!

100%

Probably unlikely, but we can hope.

If we could get GS and retain some  Blue Devil alumni  — Darren and Jeremy — we’ll be in a good spot. 

On 11/7/2018 at 12:50 PM, Falcon Mania said:

That is laughable.  Sorry but there isn't a snowballs chance that Abingdon finishes this season 8-2 this year doing the same thing we did last season.  Let alone winning games against Union and Ridgeview and being the 3 seed to host a playoff game.  And before you say something to the effect I don't know..  My son is a senior and I've been around the program long enough to know.

Reed changed their culture.  Abingdon has always been knows as soft..he toughened them up and some of the kids and parents probably had a hard time adjusting.  The kids that are still there are tough because of reed and his staff.   Give them a couple years...they be back to being soft again.  

When was Reed's best year at Abingdon?? The year they played Lord Botetourt. Who called his offense that year?? Who came with him when he first got the Abingdon job? What was the difference in Reed at Wise Central and Reed at Abingdon....NICK COLOBRO!!! People who know, know why Abingdon was successful and they know why Reed started his decline at Abingdon, they also know why Luke Owens went 6-4 the year after Reed left at Central.... think about it!

41 minutes ago, Blue_Crue said:

When was Reed's best year at Abingdon?? The year they played Lord Botetourt. Who called his offense that year?? Who came with him when he first got the Abingdon job? What was the difference in Reed at Wise Central and Reed at Abingdon....NICK COLOBRO!!! People who know, know why Abingdon was successful and they know why Reed started his decline at Abingdon, they also know why Luke Owens went 6-4 the year after Reed left at Central.... think about it!

Central Went 4-7 the Year After Reed left.

46 minutes ago, who? said:

Reed changed their culture.  Abingdon has always been knows as soft..he toughened them up and some of the kids and parents probably had a hard time adjusting.  The kids that are still there are tough because of reed and his staff.   Give them a couple years...they be back to being soft again.  

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I totally respect it.  But the facts are not what you may think they are.  The kids you are speaking of learned toughness from many other things.  Reed didn't show up one day and Jake Sturgill was a 2 time all state QB.  Matthew Fulton wasn't beast of a running back.  Derrick Yates didn't just become a college prospect because he showed up and the list could go on. 

The current list of players who are seniors and started out in Reed's system didn't become tough and hard nosed because of his system.  That trait came from playing together since they were 6 years old in flag football.  That trait came from them becoming a band of brothers all the way through their youth league days, middle school, and JV.  There were many other factors involved than saying "he toughened them up". 

Consider this:

2014 8-2 Colobro/ Amburgey on staff the year Reed is named head coach

2015 9-1 Colobro/ Amburgey on staff

2016 9-1 Colobro/ Amburgey on staff

2017 6-4 Colobro/ Amburgey NOT on staff

2018 8-2 Amburgey named head coach

On a footnote: "Give them a couple years...they be back to being soft again" This sounds like wishful thinking.

4 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

The current list of players who are seniors and started out in Reed's system didn't become tough and hard nosed because of his system.  That trait came from playing together since they were 6 years old in flag football. 

Nothing toughens up a kid like flag football. 😂😂😂

Abingdon... 🤦🏽‍♂️

5 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I totally respect it.  But the facts are not what you may think they are.  The kids you are speaking of learned toughness from many other things.  Reed didn't show up one day and Jake Sturgill was a 2 time all state QB.  Matthew Fulton wasn't beast of a running back.  Derrick Yates didn't just become a college prospect because he showed up and the list could go on. 

The current list of players who are seniors and started out in Reed's system didn't become tough and hard nosed because of his system.  That trait came from playing together since they were 6 years old in flag football.  That trait came from them becoming a band of brothers all the way through their youth league days, middle school, and JV.  There were many other factors involved than saying "he toughened them up". 

Consider this:

2014 8-2 Colobro/ Amburgey on staff the year Reed is named head coach

2015 9-1 Colobro/ Amburgey on staff

2016 9-1 Colobro/ Amburgey on staff

2017 6-4 Colobro/ Amburgey NOT on staff

2018 8-2 Amburgey named head coach

On a footnote: "Give them a couple years...they be back to being soft again" This sounds like wishful thinking.

Soooo what are you going to blame DB’s 4-6 record this season on? They have Colobro... What about that 0-10 season Colobro had in 2010 at Sullivan East? Yes Colobro was a good coach, but to take credit away from Reed for a team that he was the Head Coach of is foolish. Like I’ve said, a good head coach will surround himself with other good coaches. The key is to have a good staff. The teams players change, kids graduate and others fill their spot. Records vary due to that as well, didn’t Abingdon have to replace a lot of starters from the 2016 season? You lost 20 seniors from the 2016 team. 

4 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Must be working considering they've beaten Gate City the last few years...

Congratulations on doing well for one season with a team that got 99% of their coaching from a GC guy. Truly. That’s almost like having won 5 state titles.