TSSAA Playoffs

SXSW

The TSSAA playoffs started this past Friday with a record 49 teams with losing records making the playoffs 38 (public) 11 (private). The losing teams did manage a few wins going a combined 5-44. The three public school winners were R5 #3 Stratford (2-8) beating R6 # 2 Camden(5-5) 29-22 in 3A and in Class 4A R4 #4 Marshall County(4-6) ( a former State Champ) beat R3 #1 Stone Memorial (9-1) 30-29 and in a battle of West Tennessee teams with losing records R7 #4 Ripley (3-7) beat Millington R6 #1 (4-6) 31-21. THe biggest story is Davy Crockett the Pioneers won their first ever playoff game in overtime over Knox Halls 20-17 in a walkoff. They have in the last two weeks won their first District Title and had their first undefeated season in school history and play Tennessee High in Jonesborough Friday Night.  I will try to keep everyone updated as the playoffs head to the conclusion at the Blue Cross Bowl in Cookeville November 29-December 1st.  

19 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Unbelievable job by David Crockett HS, considering their recent adversity. 

Yes it is! I hope they win the State Title but 5A in Tennessee is the toughest class...What is ironic is that if Crockett and Boone both win Friday they play at Boone 11/16 

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

Yes it is! I hope they win the State Title but 5A in Tennessee is the toughest class...What is ironic is that if Crockett and Boone both win Friday they play at Boone 12/16. 

Why would they play at Boone?  That's messed up for them to play a huge rival at their place in the playoffs when they've beaten them already.

It is predetermined before the season starts. Even numbered years the bottom of the bracket hosts. It also affects Greeneville Friday is their last home game regardless of the records. 

8 hours ago, SXSW said:

Yes it is! I hope they win the State Title but 5A in Tennessee is the toughest class...What is ironic is that if Crockett and Boone both win Friday they play at Boone 12/16. 

12/16 OR 11/16... 12/16 is near Christmas!

Just a little update on the playoffs three NE Tennessee teams are still playing. In 2A the South Greene Rebels will be making their first ever trip to the State Quarterfinals when they travel to 1# ranked Meigs County. In 4A in a clash of the Titans undefeated and 1# ranked Greeneville Greene Devils play undefeated and  2nd ranked Anderson County at Anderson County. In Class 5A the Cinderella ride for the Davy Crockett Pioneers (12-0) continues as they travel to Knoxville to take on Knox Central (10-2) for a birth in the Semi-Finals. Good Luck to all the teams. 

20 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

South Greene may be drawing a little extra attention now due to their chain crew.  Video on twitter is showing them "adjusting" the chains during a 4th down play to keep Oneida from getting a first down.  I dont know what happened around it but it looked bad.

Meigs County will beat them so bad Friday they may be wishing after the game that they had let Oneida play...

30 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Would like to see all 3 win, but really want to see Crockett do well. They're the feel good story of TSSAA.

It is not an impossible task for them to get to Cookeville If they win Friday they travel to the winner of Oak Ridge/Knox Catholic. Page @ Hillsboro & Henry Co.@ Kirby is the other half of that bracket. 

29 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

South Greene may be drawing a little extra attention now due to their chain crew.  Video on twitter is showing them "adjusting" the chains during a 4th down play to keep Oneida from getting a first down.  I dont know what happened around it but it looked bad.

Just saw that. Not sure how much more obvious you can get.

This week is the Semi-final round of the TSSAA Playoffs. 

1A has Greenback (12-0) @ Whitwell (13-0) and Cornersville (13-0) @ Lake County (12-1)....All chalk in this bracket 

2A has Meigs County (13-0) @ Trousdale County (10-3) and Waverly (10-3) @ Peabody (12-1)

3A has Alcoa (13-0) @ Upperman (13-0) and Stratford (5-8) @ Covington (13-0).................Yes Stratford is still playing they came into the playoffs 2-8 and have beaten Camden, Pearl Cohn and Fairview. Just goes to show you don't ever know in sports!

4A has Greenevillie (13-0) @ Maplewood (12-1) and Springfield (11-2) @ Haywood County (9-4).....The Mighty Greene Devils roll on now winners of 28 straight games

5A has Knox Central (11-2) @ Knox Catholic (9-3) and Page (12-1) @ Henry County (12-1).....Knox Central travels to West Knoxville for a trip to Cookeville..

6A has Maryville (12-1) @ Oakland (12-1) and Ravenwood (11-2) @ Whitehaven (10-3). Maryville defeated Oakland 24-21 at Maryville in week three of the season. Whitehaven upset Germantown last week in Germantown. 

It is hard to believe that another football season in Tennessee will be complete by late Saturday..

Here are the matchups for Championship Weekend in Cookeville at Tennessee Tech.

1A Whitwell (14-0) plays Cornersville (14-0) Saturday December 1st @ Noon Eastern/ 11 am Central

2A Trousdale County (11-3) plays Peabody (13-1) Thursday November 29th at Noon Eastern/ 11am Central

3A Alcoa (14-0) plats Covington (14-0) Saturday December 1st at 4 Eastern/ 3 pm Central

4A Greeneville (14-0) plays Haywood (10-4) Thursday November 29th at 4 Eastern/ 3pm Central

5A Knox Central (12-2) plays Henry County (13-1) Saturday December 1st at 8 Eastern/ 7pm Central

6A Oakland (14-1) plays Whitehaven (11-3) Thursday at 8 Eastern/ 7pm Central

The Division 2 (Private Schools) Championship Games will be played Friday November 30th 

D2 1A Friendship Christian (10-2) plays Davidson Academy (12-0) at Noon Eastern/ 11am Central

D2 2A CPA (12-0) plays BGA (10-2) at 4 Eastern/ 3 Central

D2 3A Brentwood (10-2) plays MUS (11-0) at 8 Eastern/ 7 Central 

FWIW: I like Cornersville, Peabody, Alcoa, Greeneville, Henry County and Oakland to win the D1 titles

and in D2 I like Friendship, CPA and MUS to win titles.. we will see how right I am come Monday.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

What's crazy is a team which Tennessee High beat (Knox Central) is playing for a state title.

Knox Central's defense is outstanding and the team is healthy now, I just don't think that Central can score enough to beat Henry County.

The Championship Weekend starts today, if you live in the Tri-Cities the games will be televised in WCYB 5.2 CW at 12:00pm for 2A, 4:00pm for 4A ( Greeneville vs. Haywood) and 8:00pm for 6A..Enjoy 

The first final is in the books Peabody (14-1) defeated Trousdale County (11-4) 17-9. It is Peabody's 2nd State Title in 4 years. Trousdale County was looking for their 10th State title but settles for it's 4th runner-up finish.