TSSAA Playoffs

SXSW

11 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Those Greeneville kids look like college players!

Once they made their adjustments and got rolling after being tied at 21, there was no stopping them.

The reason that Greeneville looks like a college team is because a lot of them are college players........

The first day is in the books of the Blue Cross Bowl. In 4A Greenville (15-0) defeated Haywood County (10-5) 56-21 for it's fourth state title and owns back to back championships for the second time in school history, they have won 30 in a row and are as close as to a perfect football team as you will ever had watched. In 6A Oakland (14-1) defeated Whitehaven (11-4) 37-0 for it's fourth title and first since 2008, they beat Maryville and Whitehaven by a combined 75-0 the last two weeks. It was the first shut of Maryville in 18 years!   

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Oh, definitely! Even beyond the size and muscles, they just look like they're 25 yrs old. haha

The announcers last night on the game spent much of the second quarter bragging about the lifting program at Greeneville, Dorrian Goddard the UVa, commit is said to able to bench 350 and squat 550 

12 minutes ago, SXSW said:

The announcers last night on the game spent much of the second quarter bragging about the lifting program at Greeneville, Dorrian Goddard the UVa, commit is said to able to bench 350 and squat 550 

I heard that, and it definitely shows! Very, very impressive weight lifting program there.

6 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I heard that, and it definitely shows! Very, very impressive weight lifting program there.

I hope this isn't the last great Greeneville team, there are rumors floating around that Ballard may step down. I listened to the fourth quarter on Greenville's radio broadcast and the announcers that they were unsure he would return. I hope he does not leave but who knows!

8 minutes ago, SXSW said:

I hope this isn't the last great Greeneville team, there are rumors floating around that Ballard may step down. I listened to the fourth quarter on Greenville's radio broadcast and the announcers that they were unsure he would return. I hope he does not leave but who knows!

If he were thinking of leaving, I'm sure he would have many suitors. Too young to retire. It would be a shame if he did though.

It was all centered around his desire just to be dad for his D1 football son and the time it would take away from the team.

Time to put a bow on the 2018 season.

In 1A: Whitewell defeated Cornersville 7-6. it was Whitwell 1st title.

In 2A: Peabody defeated Trousdale County 17-9.

In 3A: Alcoa defeated Covington 21-14 is was Alcoa's 17th state title breaking a tie with Maryville.

In 4A: Greeneville defeated Haywood County 56-21. It is the Greene Devils 4th state title

In 5A: Knox Central defeated Henry County 14-9

In 6A: Oakland defeated Whitehaven 37-0

In Division 2:

1A: Davidson Academy defeated FCA 39-27

2A: CPA defeated BGA 41-21

3A: Brentwood Academy defeated MUS 28-6

I went 5-4 picking champions, the private school got me I went 1-2. Thanks for letting me post!    

• 7 months later...

Times News Sports @tnsportslive

What NE Tennessee school has enjoyed the most football playoff success?

Douglas Fritz • Today at 6:24 PM

Fifty years ago, the TSSAA held its first football playoffs.

Since then, area teams have won their share of postseason football contests. But how do area schools rank against each other?

http://www.timesnews.net/Football/2019/07/15/What-school-has-enjoyed-the-most-football-playoff-success.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p=1

great state

i just the numbers for Gate City since 1970, using his formula Gate City has 531 points his top 5 has a total of 534! My head would explode trying to do them all for Southwest Virginia! Appy, Powell Valley, Clintwood, Graham would have massive numbers in this equation.

4 hours ago, SXSW said:

i just the numbers for Gate City since 1970, using his formula Gate City has 531 points his top 5 has a total of 534! My head would explode trying to do them all for Southwest Virginia! Appy, Powell Valley, Clintwood, Graham would have massive numbers in this equation.

This would be an interesting exercise.  I can think of at least 8 SWVA schools that would almost certainly outpoint Elizabethton in that same time period.  Gate City, Giles, Powell Valley, Graham, Appalachia, Richlands, Clintwood, and George Wythe are locks.  Pulaski County and Radford would be close.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

This would be an interesting exercise.  I can think of at least 8 SWVA schools that would almost certainly outpoint Elizabethton in that same time period.  Gate City, Giles, Powell Valley, Graham, Appalachia, Richlands, Clintwood, and George Wythe are locks.  Pulaski County and Radford would be close.

Maybe our resident researcher, not mentioning any names, needs a rainy day project!   I was calculating all the numbers and my boss walked in my office and ask what I was doing, I couldn't say that I was doing nothing, so I had to explain it to him. He is a Sullivan South fan he was disappointed at their numbers.

Graham would have 176, and that includes an 8 year stretch where Graham went 1-7 in the playoffs:

1976 - 1

1981 - 8

1984 - 1

1986 - 6

1987 - 1

1989 - 18

1990 - 8

1991 - 6

1992 - 1

1993 - 8

1994 - 6

1995 - 18

1997 - 6

1998 - 8

1999 - 1

2000 - 1

2001 - 12

2002 - 6

2003 - 8

2004 - 1

2005 - 6

2006 - 6

2007 - 1

2008 - 1

2009 - 3

2011 - 1

2012 - 1

2013 - 1

2014 - 1

2015 - 3

2016 - 6

2017 - 6

2018 - 18

Ive got Haysi at 82 points, but not sure i calculated it correctly.  82 is the minimum and my math is probably flawed. 

Using this formula SWVA has been MUCH more successful than NET. Dont really think thats groundbreaking news

Upon further evaluation I get 130 for Haysi.  I wasn't counting victories, just how far they made it (ex -2014 I originally counted as 9 for making the semis and making the playoffs for a consecutive year, I should have counted as 15  - 8 for making the semis, 3 wins = 6, 1 for consecutive year making playoffs). If that's correct and my math isnt wrong 130, which would place Haysi at #2 behind Elizabethton, not counting the other SWVA schools.  

2 hours ago, redtiger said:

Upon further evaluation I get 130 for Haysi.  I wasn't counting victories, just how far they made it (ex -2014 I originally counted as 9 for making the semis and making the playoffs for a consecutive year, I should have counted as 15  - 8 for making the semis, 3 wins = 6, 1 for consecutive year making playoffs). If that's correct and my math isnt wrong 130, which would place Haysi at #2 behind Elizabethton, not counting the other SWVA schools.  

I didn’t compile victories for Graham in my calculation...

11 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I didn’t compile victories for Graham in my calculation...

I think you should have.

Elizabethton (139) "The Cyclones have 6 semifinals finishes and 34 total wins" 48+68 = 116, and they didnt have 17 seasons where they only won a game or two, did they? I mean if were only counting playoff wins in years where they only won a game or two then I dont think they would get to 34, some of those 34 wins have to be during their semi finals years... I think.

Sullivan North 50  "The Raiders have four finishes in the quarterfinals". 4 Quarters = 24 pts, where did the other 26 points come from? Consecutive appearance points doesn't cover it and I dont think North is in the playoffs frequently enough (and good enough) to get a win each year and cover it.

The only way consecutive points covers those spreads is if the TSSAA has had this easy to get in system for a long time and I dont know if they have or not.