Best 2 players are on the same team?

Bluefield researcher

1 hour ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

My point exactly. Because they have a higher number of black players, people are hesitant to call them by the given name of black raiders. It’s total bs. Not saying you are   Just the situation of society in general. Everyone is so worried about being racist/not racist. Had they been named the black raiders due to their minority enrollment, then yes, we should abstain from using it.  I’ll be honest, I call them raiders only because I don’t want to type black all the time lol. Lazy. Not worried about racist themes. Embrace the history of it has no racial undertones. 

I would wager you are white, am I correct? I am as well. And with that being true, it's not for us to decide what another ethnicity believes to be derogatory or racist. 

As a society, we should be trying to come together and remove all the bias and the hate. If that means some words go the way of the dodo, that's the price of progress. 

You seem like a decent dude, and I'm sure there's not any sort of intent if you called Norton the older name, but can you see where someone who isn't white being sensitive to a name like the Black Raiders?

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I would wager you are white, am I correct? I am as well. And with that being true, it's not for us to decide what another ethnicity believes to be derogatory or racist. 

As a society, we should be trying to come together and remove all the bias and the hate. If that means some words go the way of the dodo, that's the price of progress. 

You seem like a decent dude, and I'm sure there's not any sort of intent if you called Norton the older name, but can you see where someone who isn't white being sensitive to a name like the Black Raiders?

I’m white indeed. I’ve raised my kids to be colorblind. I was raised in a place where I was the minority. I agree with coming together as a society. But we can’t do that by being afraid of a school mascots name because it has a color in it that someone feels is a reflection of a race. I get your point. Really I do. But the whole racist thing gets blown out of proportion at times. I feel like this is a brilliant example. Once again, not saying you sir. Just this situation. We need to be one people. Not a society of a bunch of races. 

1 hour ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

I’m white indeed. I’ve raided my kids to be colorblind. I was raised in a place where I was the minority. I agree with coming together as a society. But we can’t do that by being afraid of a school mascots name because it has a color in it that someone feels is a reflection of a race. I get your point. Really I do. But the whole racist thing gets blown out of proportion at times. I feel like this is a brilliant example. Once again, not saying you sir. Just this situation. We need to be one people. Not a society of a bunch of races. 

I agree whole heartedly that we should strive to be a society where we all see each other simply as humans and nothing more. But to get to that state, we need to get rid of words that specifically refer to a person's race in a pejorative manner. I don't think the old name is itself racist, but in a certain light or connotation I could see it being a term that a black person would not like. It goes back to the point that the aggrieved party is really the only ones who can tell us, people on the outside, if the term hits them in a bad way. And no race is a monolith, so maybe some don't feel the term is one that should be removed but if there's a subset of that race that feels it to be defamatory, we can't really argue.

I think we should work more on educating those who use certain words and phrases that are inflammatory instead of shaming and belittling them, you catch more flies with honey. I also agree that people can be super sensitive now and like to be outraged for the sake of being outraged, but if you can tune those people out and get to the root issue, we can make progress.

*I used the general 'I, we, us, etc..., I am not referring to you specifically bc you seem like a good dude who would never go out of his way to slur another race.

33 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I agree whole heartedly that we should strive to be a society where we all see each other simply as humans and nothing more. But to get to that state, we need to get rid of words that specifically refer to a person's race in a pejorative manner. I don't think the old name is itself racist, but in a certain light or connotation I could see it being a term that a black person would not like. It goes back to the point that the aggrieved party is really the only ones who can tell us, people on the outside, if the term hits them in a bad way. And no race is a monolith, so maybe some don't feel the term is one that should be removed but if there's a subset of that race that feels it to be defamatory, we can't really argue.

I think we should work more on educating those who use certain words and phrases that are inflammatory instead of shaming and belittling them, you catch more flies with honey. I also agree that people can be super sensitive now and like to be outraged for the sake of being outraged, but if you can tune those people out and get to the root issue, we can make progress.

*I used the general 'I, we, us, etc..., I am not referring to you specifically bc you seem like a good dude who would never go out of his way to slur another race.

Agreed good sir

On 11/14/2018 at 9:44 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm just impressed someone other than myself still calls them the Black Raiders.  When I was in high school, that's what they were called, and I was at the Union and Burton game last year in Norton and tweeted that I was there watching the JI Burton Black Raiders vs. Union Bears and got blasted for it by some Norton folks.  I never even realized the Black had been dropped from the name.

Seems like the use of Black before Raiders comes and goes. When I was in school they were just the raiders and didnt use black in their name or color scheme at all. Then a few years ago black came back. I may be 100% wrong but I think there was a racial connotation to the us of black back in the day at Norton High and they kinda of took it and ran with it. Then it became a no no, then it was used, now its a no no again. Who knows???