Graham vs Union

Gridiron60

On 11/13/2018 at 10:43 AM, ghs73 said:

Ok if you ar going to list records of grahams opponents please list those of the rest of the teams left in our region in the playoffs also.rv, union richlands ect.be fair

Richlands

Beat Gate City 1-9

Loss to Union 10-2

Loss to Blacksburg11-0

Beat Byrd 7-4

Loss to Bluefield 9-1

Beat Tazewell 2-8

Beat Marion 4-6

Loss to Graham 10-1

Beat Lebanon 2-8

Beat VA High 5-6

Beat Grayson8-3

31 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

Ok if you ar going to list records of grahams opponents please list those of the rest of the teams left in our region in the playoffs also.rv, union richlands ect.be fair

Richlands opponents are a combined 61-45 I believe. Could be off one or two here or there. 

Richlands has the hardest schedule in the region, bar none. 

Richlands schedule (no playoff games included)

Gate City 1-9

Union 8-2

blacksburg 10-0

byrd 7-3

bluefield 9-1

tazewell 2-8

marion 4-6

graham 9-1

lebanon 2-8

VHS 5-5

57-43 record  

Their strength of schedule is never in question!

13 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

OK here goes 1 team at a time LOL

Ridgeview

1) Grundy (7-4) Still in playoffs

2) Shelby Valley (11-3) Playoff team

3) Central (4-7) 2 times Playoff team

4) Union 9-2 Still in Playoffs

5) Lee (2-8)

6) Gate City 1-9

7) Battle (5-6) Playoff team

😎 Abingdon 9-2 Still in Playoffs

9) Pike Central 3-8 Playoff team 

10) Honaker 5-6 Playoff team

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands opponents are a combined 61-45 I believe. Could be off one or two here or there. 

Richlands has the hardest schedule in the region, bar none. 

Totally agree, Richlands plays hardest schedule and is more battle tested than any other team in semi-finals IMO. 

Even though Graham's schedule may not be the toughest or even close to it they have beat each one of their opponents the way they should have. There is something to be said for not letting your guard down and taking a team that you know going into a contest you should beat easily and end up losing. Upsets happen on a regular basis at any level and much of that has to do with the better team overlooking the next man up. To me they seem to be pretty darn focused right now. 

I’m a bit hesitant about having this conversation solely by records alone. Especially with for example a 5-6 LCC, or an 11-3 Shelby Valley. Etc. I don’t think those are very good teams in Virginia 2A competition. On the contrary, a 3-7 Morristown West team, even though they are down in comparison to their classification, would do very well up here. 

1 minute ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I’m a bit hesitant about having this conversation solely by records alone. Especially with for example a 5-6 LCC, or an 11-3 Shelby Valley. Etc. I don’t tbink those are very good teams in Virginia 2A competition. On the contrary, a 3-7 Morristown West team, even though they are down in comparison to their classification, would do very well up here. 

At this point regular season records mean nothing. Every team on Saturday is 1-0 in post season. Right now, that's the only record that matters. Two will walk away 2-0 and the other two will go home 1-1 and hope for another chance next year. I've said whichever team plays smartest, hardest, & stays focused should win. I can see any two of the four advancing. No team should think they have it in the bag and I honestly do not think any of them have that mindset. Hoping for a  competitive, fair, injury free, and good sportsmanship game for all teams on Saturday in Region 2D. 

2 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I’m a bit hesitant about having this conversation solely by records alone. Especially with for example a 5-6 LCC, or an 11-3 Shelby Valley. Etc. I don’t tbink those are very good teams in Virginia 2A competition. On the contrary, a 3-7 Morristown West team, even though they are down in comparison to their classification, would do very well up here. 

My point is every team has to plat the team in front of them. Each team is gunnig for them and wants to win. And on any given night can win. Who evey thoughy abingdon would beat rv. But they still had to play  the game. Is its grahams fault that richlands is having a down year. But yet they are playi y the toughest schedule and lost to graham. And some made excuses for that but not from richlands. Graham faced each opponent and and won with the exception of bluefield and i doubt none of the teams left here would fare any better with them. I think it is pretty good that graham has done as good as they have this year and i myself am very proud of how far they have come seeing how so many complained how bad they were to start with lack of discipline and defense. Win loss record of their opponents outstanding they still are one of the better teams around in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I’m a bit hesitant about having this conversation solely by records alone. Especially with for example a 5-6 LCC, or an 11-3 Shelby Valley. Etc. I don’t think those are very good teams in Virginia 2A competition. On the contrary, a 3-7 Morristown West team, even though they are down in comparison to their classification, would do very well up here. 

I’ll even go on the defensive some. 1988 Jonesville Va goes 5-5. Goes on to win the Group 1A state title. Beating undefeated teams along the way. The very next year, Appalachia Va does the exact same thing. 

That being said, those are the exceptions to the rule. Not all sub 500 teams are gonna battle test you for the playoffs. Most do not. I respect Giles and Richlands. Brutal schedules. Not worried about going 9-1 or 10-0. Battle tested. Tip of the cap!

6 minutes ago, UNION#ATW said:

Heck Yea...

I want to give everybody a SHOUT OUT!!!  We are working on page 7

1 more page and we have caught up with Gate City pages!!!

(But at the end of the day that's why I love SWVA FOOTBALL... we all have something to talk about)

Most of it isn't GC folks posting, it's others who are desperate to keep GC football relevant.

Just now, Real Sasquatch said:

This is why Graham is Traveling folks and why we have a power point system. You play who is on your schedue.

If that is the reason then why is richlands traveling

8 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Because they lost a bunch of games, duh.

But according to your logic of record you used against grahams opponents win loss as reason for them being on the road rhs has a better record than the other two is my point. You cannot use that as the reason for graham being on the road DUH