Graham vs Union

Gridiron60

25 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Thoughts on special teams for both Union and Graham?? Graham had a bit of sloppiness against VA High. 

Union has one of the better kickers around, Falin can hit from 40 yards (was just short on a 40+ yarder against Battle) and Jenkins can be electric as a returner but the coverage unit is not great. Battle consistently returned kicks to the 40-yard line, and coverage has been an issue all year. Speed keeps most teams from returning for scores but field position is so important and Union can get behind in that area is an issue. 

The kicking game has been good for Union all season. I agree that coverage on kickoffs has been weak lately, I think Falin getting a high % of touchbacks has kept that from being a problem. He’s punted really well too.  I’d love to see Jenkins more confident in fair catching punts to help field position. If we are just going to let every punt bounce I’d love to see Union bring more pressure. There’s been several poor snaps that punters have had time to gather up and kick because there’s no rush on the punter. 

Heard that Graham had one punt that hit their own line and Va High picked it up and ran it back for a TD. Maybe the kicking game falters a little bit Saturday and gives the Bears a couple breaks. 

The kicking game is a very important part of the game and I feel like it has evolved so much over the past 10-15 years. Seems like back then teams struggled to make an extra point, now we have kids making 40+ yard field goals, and actually punting the ball and trying to pin the other team deep.

7 hours ago, Hard nosed said:

What about Graham’s kicking game?  Looked a bit sloppy against Va High, punts in particular.

Joey Dales is a phenomenal kicker. Against VA High, a couple of bad snaps and one of his own linemen backed into him looked like to me and VA High ran it in for TD. I dare say Tony Palmer worked on special teams this week. I'm betting that sloppiness is cleaned up by Saturday. 

Just now, UNION#ATW said:

BigWinners...

After this post, I guess your trying to be Gate City's biggest fan next year😨😔

I heard he was buying the property that old Appalachia High School and Riggs Stadium sit on and turn it into a state of the art facility that surpasses Ridgeview and that way all of the Union folks would want to transfer, leaving Union to scrap for any kind of mediocrity moving forward with the likes of Lee High and Gate City.  😄

2 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I heard he was buying the property that old Appalachia High School and Riggs Stadium sit on and turn it into a state of the art facility that surpasses Ridgeview and that way all of the Union folks would want to transfer, leaving Union to scrap for any kind of mediocrity moving forward with the likes of Lee High and Gate City.  😄

BigWinners High? The Fighting Phils? 😂

Just got back from eating Thanksgiving dinner with the little ones at the primary school. So I decided to drive by the park and check on the field not only was it raining but the big stone gap and Appalachia fire departments were both there pumping water out of the Powell river and drowning the field with water no speed advantage this weekend it will be slooping. #LETITRAIN.

12 minutes ago, Union's hammer said:

Just got back from eating Thanksgiving dinner with the little ones at the primary school. So I decided to drive by the park and check on the field not only was it raining but the big stone gap and Appalachia fire departments were both there pumping water out of the Powell river and drowning the field with water no speed advantage this weekend it will be slooping. #LETITRAIN.

Keep pumping....... these Tazewell county boys know how to buy our cleats for conditions like that.  

14 minutes ago, Union's hammer said:

Thought y'all were going to have the snow blowers going...😂 

19 minutes ago, Union's hammer said:

Hope they screened out the brown trout. 😉

3 hours ago, Union's hammer said:

The only way Richlands can win a title illegal cleats can we Borrow them Ryan we going to need them lol.

Just saw some ducks swimming on the field at Bullitt. Gonna be a good muddy mess. Hope both teams have plenty of detergent.