Richlands/Graham II: Region D Title Game

Deleted Account

I hope the Blues can pull the upset, but I will pull for the winner of this game to defeat Appo. if they get that far.  I know they always have a good team, but its time for someone from SWVA to bring home the hardware.  Hope both teams play a good game with sportsmanship and no injuries.

1 hour ago, Bigtom said:

We played Graham this year and got drilled but honestly wasn't that impressed with O line or D line play.  QB is VERY good and so is receiver.  Saw Richlands Sat and was impressed with team as a whole but still will have to pick GMEN in this one by 3 tds

What game was that

Why does it surprise anyone that Richlands is having success?  Look at their losses.

1)  Early season loss to Union at home by two TD's but if I remember this game was pretty close until late.

2)  Blacksburg away. This one was crazy because I think Richlands came back strong in the 2nd Q. Got blown out by a D4 team in the 2nd half that could win the states.

3)  Bluefield at Home.  Played with them for 1 quarter until Bluefield blew them out in the 2nd quarter on big plays.

4)  Graham away.  They got embarrassed in this game for sure. 

They showed heart at Va High and William Byrd. I still think Graham blows them out but it is because Graham is just a lot better not because I think poorly of Richlands.

Graham's D is a huge factor in their improvement. The D. Ends have shown incredible improvement since game 1 when Bluefield gashed em.  The D. Tackles held their own against Bluefield. I would like Coach Palmer to have Cam go where Taylor H goes when Graham is on D  For the Blues to pull the upset, it will require Taylor H to have a monumental offensive performance. The D1/FBS cornerback-Cam can decrease the odds of that happening as Richlands will put it in the air far more times then in game 1.

59 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Why does it surprise anyone the success Richlands is having success?  Look at their losses.

1)  Early season loss to Union at home by two TD's but if I remember this game was pretty close until late.

2)  Blacksburg away. This one was crazy because I think Richlands came back strong in the 2nd Q. Got blown out by a D4 team in the 2nd half that could win the states.

3)  Bluefield at Home.  Played with them for 1 quarter until Bluefield blew them out in the 2nd quarter on big plays.

They showed heart at Va High and William Byrd. I still think Graham blows them out but it is because Graham is just a lot better not because I think poorly of Richlands.

Union led most of the game and the game was never in doubt but it was far from a blowout

3 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Why does it surprise anyone the success Richlands is having success?  Look at their losses.

They barely beat VA High in OT. I agree they do play a tough schedule and that certainly helps in playoffs. 

On 11/17/2018 at 11:22 PM, Hhsdevils93 said:

Richlands keeps rolling with the emotions and pulls out the win. I don’t pick against Mance. 

Sometimes emotions hurt a team more than help it. With Richlands former defensive coordinator as an assistant at Graham, it doesn't bother me to pick against Mance these days especially with Graham playing strong D and making explosive plays on O. Good luck to Blues and GMen. Way to represent Tazewell County! 

3 hours ago, Suit Up said:

It was tied at the half 21 all. What do you mean never in doubt?

After getting down 7-0, Union tied it up, then took the lead and never trailed again. Union led by two scores for most of the second half, and take away one of the worst calls ive seen after Union recovered an obvious fumble and it could have been a three score game. Richlands got back in the game because of the BS call but still lost by two TDs. Richlands led for less than five minutes IIRC.

59 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

After getting down 7-0, Union tied it up, then took the lead and never trailed again. Union led by two scores for most of the second half, and take away one of the worst calls ive seen after Union recovered an obvious fumble and it could have been a three score game. Richlands got back in the game because of the BS call but still lost by two TDs. Richlands led for less than five minutes IIRC.

Richlands had the ball down 7, on their own 20 with around 2 minutes left. 

If that's not a game "in doubt", then I don't know what is??? 

If Richlands doesn't lose Horn at halftime, who knows what that game was. 

Union won, but it was in doubt as late as 2 minutes to go. 

10 hours ago, BigWinners said:

You are aware of why they got the ball back correct? Refs seen him call for a fair catch Union doesn't give the proper spacing to make fair catch that's a penalty is it not? 

24 minutes ago, Rhschamps04 said:

You are aware of why they got the ball back correct? Refs seen him call for a fair catch Union doesn't give the proper spacing to make fair catch that's a penalty is it not? 

There's no "halo" rule in HS. You just can't hit the receiver of the fair catch or interfere with him..ie touching, standing in front and waiving hands or jumping to obscure his view. And as far as the Richlands/Union game goes, yes, it was VERY much in doubt until the pick 6 that made it 42-28. This game is always in doubt. haha

18 hours ago, Bigtom said:

We played Graham this year and got drilled but honestly wasn't that impressed with O line or D line play.  QB is VERY good and so is receiver.  Saw Richlands Sat and was impressed with team as a whole but still will have to pick GMEN in this one by 3 tds

When Graham played Central, they were still a bit undisciplined and sloppy. If you'd seen them the last few games, I guarantee your take would be totally different. The defense especially has improved tremendously. I don't know exact stats but I think Richlands only got past 50 yard line once then defense picked it off next play and I'm not sure how many first downs Union had Saturday but it wasn't many. I do like you saying GMen by 3TDs, hope you're right. 

18 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

There's no "halo" rule in HS. You just can't hit the receiver of the fair catch or interfere with him..ie touching, standing in front and waiving hands or jumping to obscure his view. And as far as the Richlands/Union game goes, yes, it was VERY much in doubt until the pick 6 that made it 42-28. This game is always in doubt. haha

I know you guys are very interested in my expert opinion on the Richland and Graham game on Saturday. I have crunched the numbers and honestly I can’t see any way for Richland to pull out a win. However, three years ago  Richland had a now three time State Champion Appomattox team on the ropes in the closing minutes of the game. Last year Richland was one tackle away From eliminating the Union Bears. I’m just going to tune in that radio station to see how this one comes out!! 

Seems like same old stuff to me, no one wants to give Richlands a chance.  I for one think Richlands is out-talented in this game, and if you look at it on paper the Blues should just stay home and enjoy Thanksgiving, but the game is not played on paper, and any given game can be a shocker.  No one expected the Blues to beat Ridgeview and I only picked them to win by 3, but still had doubts.  I believe this game will be a closer contest than most think and it will be a fight to the end. I'm pulling for the upset with far fetched hope, but don't count Richlands out until the fat lady sings, and I already know some of you will say, "well she's warming up now." LOL  Best of luck to both teams. GO BLUES!!!

12 minutes ago, T52OS said:

I know you guys are very interested in my expert opinion on the Richland and Graham game on Saturday. I have crunched the numbers and honestly I can’t see any way for Richland to pull out a win. However, three years ago  Richland had a now three time State Champion Appomattox team on the ropes in the closing minutes of the game. Last year Richland was one tackle away From eliminating the Union Bears. I’m just going to tune in that radio station to see how this one comes out!! 

The 2015 Richlands team was very, very good. Defense on last year's team was very, very good. This year?...I know there's always a chance and it will take one heck of a game plan from Mance, but if Graham plays like they did in the first meeting or like they did Saturday, they will win by 3+ TDs. 

Graham's D is nearly as quick as 2016 Appo's, and impressed me more than anything Saturday. They are small on the D line, but the LBs made up for it. As someone else stated, their O goes as Cam goes. As long as he has lanes to run or time to throw, nobody in Region C or D will beat them. I have no clue what A and B have to offer, so I won't speak to them.

Clean up mistakes, protect Cam and Graham has the potential to win a state championship this year.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

That was the refs explanation i was on the sidelines when he came over to explain to Richlands what was going on.

11 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands had the ball down 7, on their own 20 with around 2 minutes left. 

If that's not a game "in doubt", then I don't know what is??? 

If Richlands doesn't lose Horn at halftime, who knows what that game was. 

Union won, but it was in doubt as late as 2 minutes to go. 

Because of the crap call 

Just now, Rhschamps04 said:

That was the refs explanation i was on the sidelines when he came over to explain to Richlands what was going on.

That's interesting, Union was told the official blew the whistle early because he anticipated the fair catch instead of waiting for him to actually catch the ball. Thus, the "do over." Either way, not the most stellar of officiating crews that night. Lol

I just watched the 2018 UNION /RICHLANDS game on you tube, there was a whistle after the muffed catch on the punt, but i also seen some very questionable pass interf. calls against UNION and a late hit out of bounds where our player did nothing.I also watched the "HIT"by POLLIER 25 times oh my, that was a great tackle THE whole game is there 

14 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

That's interesting, Union was told the official blew the whistle early because he anticipated the fair catch instead of waiting for him to actually catch the ball. Thus, the "do over." Either way, not the most stellar of officiating crews that night. Lol

That crew was not the best that night for either side. That is interesting i swear he came over and that's what he said was that they hadn't given the appropriate spacing for the fair catch. You'd think they could at least be on the same page with your explanation wouldn't you haha.

Graham gets the win , the score will depend on the coach.  I'd like to see it around 55-15.  The kicker is the best thing about Richlands, and he don't have to be close to make them, kid has a better average than 14 NFL players.  This tornado team has zero consistency and it's time to flop.  Richlands  basketball gains a few good players Monday.