Graham/Radford: AA Semifinals

Deleted Account

17 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Have seen em on Facebook against Riverheads.  That game was streamed by a Riverheads fan.  Contrary to what you may have heard, East Rockingham absolutely does not have the athletes of Graham.  It's not even close.  They do have a very solid offensive and defensive line.  They are a team that is ahead of the rest on the offensive coaching curve.  They run a wide open offense with tons of QB read option and screens.  Their offense would remind you of a Washington State type offense at the High School level.  They fool the opponent and depending on the defensive set, the play is called or changed at the line of scrimmage every time.  They get a lead and teams try to play catch up and get taken out of their offense.  They are very, very good, but they are not more talented than Graham.  Graham is also bigger on the line, but from an offensive coaching perspective, they are as good or better than any Virginia 2A team.  I know Goochland is very well coached and physical and loves to run the ball.  Don't be shocked when you are looking at scores and Goochland and East Rockingham are in a dogfight mid way through the third quarter where Goochland gashes them with runs and ball control offense, and a much better defense than what East Rockingham has faced this season including Riverheads.

This!!!! Graham is much bigger on both sides of the line ER has some speed but not the speed that Graham has i've seen both teams in person its Graham by a couple TDs and I look for Goochland beat the team and it not be ER in the championship. Either way if Graham shows up to play the next couple games Radford doesn't stay within 3 TDs and then its a 2 TD win in the state championship again this is if Graham keeps there heads on and from everything ive seen thus far that won't be a problem. The only team that can beat Graham is Graham and I just don't see it happening this year I shall be there to watch the next two games and support the boys from Tazewell County!!!

At the start of the season I knew that the team to beat would be the GMen , I was hoping thatUnion would develope a explosive passing attack, that never happens. Cam Allen and his teammates should win state regardless of who they play , the Bobcats beat Appomattox and that says a lot about their team. It seems that the Bobcats have problems with athletic teams(Galax), so I expect some long plays via the passing game for the GMen 

I have seen East Rock NUMEROUS times this year (and last year and the year before...).  

They have one of the most complete high school teams I have seen in 2A in many years. Someone posted about watching them on FB and didn’t think much of them. I hope you get to see them up close. 

The early weakness was perceived to be the defense. But that has improved by leaps and bounds each game. But the defense is not equal to that offense!  They have put up 40+ points in the first half 6 times!  The most impressive win may have been the season opening 34-7 win over 4A Spotswood. 

They have seen plenty of speed this year. Central Woodstock is loaded with speed; notably Clanton — the state 100/200/400 champ— and the QB from Madison -  sprint/track scholarship to George Mason— and Buffalo Gaps RB Rivenburg— offers from JMU, WM (I hear)  

Enough of that stuff. If, if, if it comes down to ER and Graham (which I hope it does) sounds like it will be an athletic showcase!  I don’t think speed, or the exposure to each other’s wheels, will be the deciding factor.  Neither will size  ER is PLENTY big and athletic.  

ER is a fairly new school and has a limited post season history. That will be a Graham advantage...if the match up occurs.  

With what I've heard and what I've seen in the past, the Gmen have a very good chance of winning it all.  The Radford team is a good team but I don't think they will not be able to handle Grahams attack offense, and their big offensive plays.  I think Graham has a chance to be the team to beat in the final, no matter who they play from the east.  I'm going out on a limb, but its a strong one, and say Graham wins it all. Go Gmen, make SWVA proud.

9 hours ago, Gunz9 said:

Does anyone know if you will be able to watch this game online?

I am pretty sure it's not online.  I could have used it last week, but unless someone at the game does a facebook live stream, this one will only be heard and not watched unless at the game.  As for Graham and Radford, I'm hopeful Graham can move the ball easily.  I just looked at the Appo vs Radford stats from the Roanoke Times.  Appomattox actually rushed for 282 yards on Radford and had 95 passing for a total of 378 yards.  Radford had 227 rushing yards and 55 passing for a total of 282 yards.  Appomattox had 2 fumbles lost and 2 interceptions for a total of 4 turnovers.  Radford had zero turnovers.  Turnovers are part of the game and it's clear they were a factor in this game looking at the stats.  

43 minutes ago, starcityfootballfan said:

Bingo! Turnovers were the huge difference in the Appo/Radford contest!

If not for the turn overs, Graham would be playing Appo, and sometimes the best team don't win in football, its the team with the fewest mistakes.  In this case, Appo had the turn overs, and Radford came out the winner, other than the turn overs Appo was the better team.  Turn overs will come back to hurt you as was the case in this game, but I think Graham will be the better team with more talent, but once again it could come down to those pesky turn overs. Go Gmen!!

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

I am pretty sure it's not online.  I could have used it last week, but unless someone at the game does a facebook live stream, this one will only be heard and not watched unless at the game.  As for Graham and Radford, I'm hopeful Graham can move the ball easily.  I just looked at the Appo vs Radford stats from the Roanoke Times.  Appomattox actually rushed for 282 yards on Radford and had 95 passing for a total of 378 yards.  Radford had 227 rushing yards and 55 passing for a total of 282 yards.  Appomattox had 2 fumbles lost and 2 interceptions for a total of 4 turnovers.  Radford had zero turnovers.  Turnovers are part of the game and it's clear they were a factor in this game looking at the stats.  

I wouldn’t look into the yardage totals too much. 

Radford picked up a mishandled field goal try and returned it for a TD taking away one full offensive possession for the Bobcats and Appomattox fumbled a kickoff that recovered deep in Appo’s territory in which radford only had to go 25ish yards to score. 

That’s two separate times that radfords offense didn’t get a chance to drive the length of the field. They were moving the ball well enough that they could’ve easily matched or eclipsed Appomattox in total yards if they had those normal possessions. 

Good hard fought game here between Graham and Radford in 1989. The sound seems to come and go on the video. Mitchell stadium was packed with cheering fans believe it or not. Today's games have the PGA Tour Event feel to them at times. 😂Especially after listening to the way things used to be. Those Graham helmets looked great!

One week at a time. Go Graham!