Graham/Radford: AA Semifinals

Deleted Account

1 hour ago, 99Bama said:

Good hard fought game here between Graham and Radford in 1989. The sound seems to come and go on the video. Mitchell stadium was packed with cheering fans believe it or not. Today's games have the PGA Tour Event feel to them at times. 😂Especially after listening to the way things used to be. Those Graham helmets looked great!

One week at a time. Go Graham!

If you watch that game, the biggest play by far that broke that game open for Graham was the run by Tony Palmer around the left end for a Touchdown. He should have had a loss of 3 yds and somehow, he broke tackles and bounced off the defender and exploded toward the endzone. That game was tight and that run by Tony was the huge play in that game that helped Graham get the win.  The guy who missed the tackle was a ridiculous multi star athlete at Radford named Cary Caldwell who was a 2 time All State 1st teamer. He got a huge interception for Radford in that game on Mike Patton.

48 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

If you watch that game, the biggest play by far that broke that game open for Graham was the run by Tony Palmer around the left end for a Touchdown. He should have had a loss of 3 yds and somehow, he broke tackles and bounced off the defender and exploded toward the endzone. That game was tight and that run by Tony was the huge play in that game that helped Graham get the win.  The guy who missed the tackle was a ridiculous multi star athlete at Radford named Cary Caldwell who was a 2 time All State 1st teamer. He got a huge interception for Radford in that game on Mike Patton.

Around the 23 minute mark Tony Young checks into the game to "play halfback". Gotta love plays like that. When you watch old games like this it seems like kids today are much faster and more athletic. I'm sure Palmer, Brown, and Marcus would all disagree with that. Lol. 

I'm just glad to see our defense play today the way it used to play back then. It's been a long time since we've seen our defense play the way it is today. Kudos to the staff and the kids on that.

7 hours ago, EH31 said:

I wouldn’t look into the yardage totals too much. 

Radford picked up a mishandled field goal try and returned it for a TD taking away one full offensive possession for the Bobcats

And Appo then returned the KO for a TD which gave Radford the ball back directly so I don't think you can say they didn't get a possession. 

And the second one with the kickoff they recovered was in the last minutes or so and they scored with 11 seconds on the clock. 

I'd say the yardage was pretty much right. 

On 11/27/2018 at 11:20 AM, #1BLUESFAN said:

Calling for a bunch of rain Friday and Saturday....wornder if they will move the game.

On 11/27/2018 at 11:25 AM, 99Bama said:

I wonder what shape their field is in? Who makes the call on moving them?

On 11/27/2018 at 11:26 AM, Bluefield researcher said:

Could play two games at Christiansburg on Saturday.

Radford moved their game with Giles to Salem Stadium earlier this year if I recall... maybe it would get moved there?

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Hard to believe Bradshaw and Vic Hall battling it out, both those dudes were INSANELY talented. Bradshaw was legit in HS and obviously had the more successful career, dude won two Super Bowls! (And has an awesome highlight of trying to fall down at the 1-yard line showing great football IQ but tumbling into end zone) but at that time, Hall was the dude everyone thought was gonna be playing on Sundays first. 

7 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Wont happen. No way they invite Allen to a turf field. I'll buy you a hotdog at the state game if they do haha

Thing is he has been good on grass also but not mud

I've been blessed to watch and even play football in high school with some guys who went on to play on Sundays,  and to this day the one player that could take over in all 3 facets of the game was Ahmad Bradshaw.  He could take a handoff and break a big run for a TD,  receive a punt or kickoff and run it back,  and on D deliver a big hit or intercept a pass and score on that !  He was truely a MAN amoung boys out there !

Good luck Graham !!

8 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Wont happen. No way they invite Allen to a turf field. I'll buy you a hotdog at the state game if they do haha

I agree, Radford wants to play Graham on a wet muddy field. With that in mind, will VHSL officials check field conditions possibly Friday? How well does their field drain? 

6 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I agree, Radford wants to play Graham on a wet muddy field. With that in mind, will VHSL officials check field conditions possibly Friday? How well does their field drain? 

Welcome to the Swamp.

No chance George Wythe or Fort Chiswell has turf do they? Easier drive for Graham and considering Graham has never won a game at Salem Stadium in its history (haven't played there but I think only 2-3 times), the other two are a better option if turfed. Ok, now that I think about it, remove Ft. Chiswell. Does George Wythe have turf over there? It's kind of half way for both 

7 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

No chance George Wythe or Fort Chiswell has turf do they? Easier drive for Graham and considering Graham has never won a game at Salem Stadium in its history (haven't played there but I think only 2-3 times), the other two are a better option if turfed. Ok, now that I think about it, remove Ft. Chiswell. Does George Wythe have turf over there? It's kind of half way for both 

Yeah I'm sure Radford really cares what is easier for Graham lol

Mitchell stadium is the easiest and it's turf also...just move it there lol

4 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

George Wythe has a sandbox. They made an attempt at Bermuda grass but it didn't turn out at all to be honest. 

I will be shocked if this game gets moved to any other stadium. It's our time to step up and win another one regardless of field.

I'm more concerned about my driving time. If in Salem, I'm going to have trouble getting back to work in time. If I had my way,  they could move it to Tazewell and play in a monsoon mud bath. I think the GMen are going to do fine either way. On a wet field, some forget that this also requires defensive backs to keep their footing with a speedy WR and the GMen have some speedy WRs. 

22 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

Everyone is worried about graham playing on a wet muddy field. Did they forget about marion. We won that game and it was a real swamp. I do not see Radford being nothing close to that.

Their field won’t be as bad as Marion’s but people are probably looking at how Graham struggled with a weak Marion team and Radford dominated a good Glenvar team in a mud bowl. Either way both teams have to play in it. And for me, watching Graham at Giles this year you can really tell the difference with how Graham performs on the grass compared to the turf. 

Just now, 99Bama said:

George Wythe has a sandbox. They made an attempt at Bermuda grass but it didn't turn out at all to be honest. 

I will be shocked if this game gets moved to any other stadium. It's our time to step up and win another one regardless of field.

1 more is all you get.