Graham/Radford: AA Semifinals

Deleted Account

1 hour ago, 99Bama said:

Graham fans used to travel well. I'm assuming the down years played a roll in the attendance. I really thought with the success that Palmer has been able to have the attendance would pick up. 

I've wondered the past few years why is it that you can pack mitchell stadium for the Beaver Graham game and then the next week can't even fill the visitor stands at Tazewell...

2 hours ago, 99Bama said:

Graham fans used to travel well. I'm assuming the down years played a roll in the attendance. I really thought with the success that Palmer has been able to have the attendance would pick up. 

It’s all over honestly. You should see Blacksburgs attendance....it’s horribible for an undefeated 4A school

57 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I've wondered the past few years why is it that you can pack mitchell stadium for the Beaver Graham game and then the next week can't even fill the visitor stands at Tazewell...

I can kinda see the Graham/Beaver game being packed. Both schools use this game for class reunions and the long history of the rivalry. The following week at Tazewell and the stands being empty............I can't explain that one. I will say this Graham's band used to be rockin and rollin years ago. No offense to anyone in the band today at Graham but there are just so few of them it sounds weak at times. With low band numbers that's fewer parents and relatives that attend games. I know for those of us that come to watch the game it may be hard to see why some come for the band but there are plenty that do. 

@SWVAgridiron may be correct it may be a problem all over. For those fan bases that still bring it on Friday nights or Saturday afternoon good for them. It sure appeared to me Richlands smoked us this past Saturday with the crowd and their passion. 

On a side note the Graham and Richlands bands played together for one song at halftime. Sounded great!

Just now, SWVAgridiron said:

Graham and Radford are both red hot right now. There should be so many people at this game that it looks like a state championship. I’d kill for Giles to still be playing this late in the post season. The 12th man can really make a difference in a big game like this

Radford 35  Graham 10.  

9 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Graham and Radford are both red hot right now. There should be so many people at this game that it looks like a state championship. I’d kill for Giles to still be playing this late in the post season. The 12th man can really make a difference in a big game like this

12th man can make a huge difference in a game. I would love to see us make a good showing Saturday. Make some noise and get behind these kids. As far as our players are concerned Graham has a great motivator to keep them going throughout the game in Mike Horton. I've said it before as quiet as our stands are you can hear Horton on the sidelines. If a person can't get motivated enough to knock someone's ________ in the dirt after hearing him then you're dead. He can really get the blood flowing.

One game at a time. Let's get it Graham!

Just now, 99Bama said:

I can kinda see the Graham/Beaver game being packed. Both schools use this game for class reunions and the long history of the rivalry. The following week at Tazewell and the stands being empty............I can't explain that one. I will say this Graham's band used to be rockin and rollin years ago. No offense to anyone in the band today at Graham but there are just so few of them it sounds weak at times. With low band numbers that's fewer parents and relatives that attend games. I know for those of us that come to watch the game it may be hard to see why some come for the band but there are plenty that do. 

@SWVAgridiron may be correct it may be a problem all over. For those fan bases that still bring it on Friday nights or Saturday afternoon good for them. It sure appeared to me Richlands smoked us this past Saturday with the crowd and their passion. 

On a side note the Graham and Richlands bands played together for one song at halftime. Sounded great!

Nothing like drums at a football game.

26 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

It’s all over honestly. You should see Blacksburgs attendance....it’s horribible for an undefeated 4A school

23 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

It's too bad that the VHSL doesn't decide who gets to be in the state game by attendance, if they did, then Ridgeview and Union would be playing in it.  😄

Just now, swva_havok_fan said:

It's too bad that the VHSL doesn't decide who gets to be in the state game by attendance, if they did, then Ridgeview and Union would be playing in it.  😄

I would only add gate city .   They turn out a good decent crowd, what makes them so intimidating is  that they take both visitor and home side in basketball and football.

16 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Compared to a couple years ago when I went to Union. This year's crowd was a good bit smaller. They still brought a lot of enthusiasm but nothing like a couple of years ago.

14 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

Compared to a couple years ago when I went to Union. This year's crowd was a good bit smaller. They still brought a lot of enthusiasm but nothing like a couple of years ago.

Anyone can attest that were there, the Ridgeview and Union game this year on the Ridge was probably the highest attended game in these parts in a long time.  Cell phone signal was shot because of the high number of folks there and it took forever to get out after the game as well.

1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Anyone can attest that were there, the Ridgeview and Union game this year on the Ridge was probably the highest attended game in these parts in a long time.  Cell phone signal was shot because of the high number of folks there and it took forever to get out after the game as well.

I’d say Appomattox @ Union last year had more. But In games involving two local teams, the crowd at  Union/RV would be tough to beat.  

15 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

Disappointing for sure. Attendance went down immediately after the Abingdon game. There was a glaring issue in that game, everyone knew it wouldn't be corrected, and a lot got frustrated and didn't come to the last games. I'm hoping attendance will be back to normal next year regardless of our record.

4 hours ago, stu_bean said:

The Graham - Beaver game is an event. It is more than a game. It has evolved into a sort of homecoming in the truest sense of the word for both schools. 

Union/Ridgeview game was very packed. We watched from fence. Beaver/Graham game was well attended but not as crowded as in years past. Local rivalries seem to draw decent crowds but otherwise, attendance is lacking in my opinion.  I hope the drive to Salem does not deter Graham fans from attending. I would like to see visitor's side packed and fired up! Go GMen! 

26 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Nothing can compare to 97 PV/Appy, but the Appo playoff game was absolutely PACKED in BSG

The largest documented crowd at Bullitt Park is the 1989 game between PV and Lee. 6003 tickets sold plus the people that got in for free.

4 hours ago, stu_bean said:

The Graham-Beaver game is more like a reunion of old friends with a football game as a bonus...on the other hand, no one wants to watch Graham beat Tazewell by 50...