Graham/Radford: AA Semifinals

Deleted Account

31 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

The largest documented crowd at Bullitt Park is the 1989 game between PV and Lee. 6003 tickets sold plus the people that got in for free.

That was a big crowd but I'm with bigwinners the 97 PV Appy game had to be bigger it was 10 deep at the fence definitely biggest crowd I've seen.  I'm a little too young but someone from Gate City or Appy would know for sure that in the 60's there was a crowd around 10000 for the game when Edd Clark was playing and if I'm not mistaken it ended in a tie

2 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

That was a big crowd but I'm with bigwinners the 97 PV Appy game had to be bigger it was 10 deep at the fence definitely biggest crowd I've seen.  I'm a little too young but someone from Gate City or Appy would know for sure that in the 60's there was a crowd around 10000 for the game when Edd Clark was playing and if I'm not mistaken it ended in a tie

For the Appy/GC game I have heard 8,10, and even 12,000. People sitting on the roof of the school, climbing the telephone and light poles, hanging off the bleachers, and a little bit of everything else. haha

For the biggest crowd at Bullitt, I'm going by a 2013 article in the BHC. The 97 PV/Appy game was mentioned, but ol' Phil confirmed that the Lee game was the biggest. An excerpt...

For Robbins, another special moment took place on Oct. 6, 1989 when 5-0 Powell Valley hosted 6-0 Lee High. Lee was in its first year of existence, having been born out of consolidation.

“We sold six thousand and three tickets at the gate,” Robbins said. “That has to be the largest crowd that we can document that’s been at the park. That is true, I know that – six thousand and three tickets sold at the gate.

“We had people still at the end of the first quarter lined up outside the playground trying to pay to get in. That was something else.”

7 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

The largest documented crowd at Bullitt Park is the 1989 game between PV and Lee. 6003 tickets sold plus the people that got in for free.

That may be true, but it seemed as if there were 7500+ in 1997. 

Maybe Big Winners.  I'm talking to some friends right now here at the stadium and I got one guy that might do it.  I am not a smart phone guy, so I am out, but I've had a bunch of buddies from Graham around the southeast that can't make it to find me someone who will live it on facebook.  If the guy does will do it, I will post the facebook link at 1:15pm.  If no post by 1:15, then he isn't doing it.  

14 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

As long as the G men win.  You can pester me all you want.

Welli am in th stands on the 40 yard line with a Florida state jacket on flag side

Edited by ghs73

On 11/25/2018 at 10:10 AM, Hokie1Pokie said:

Don't be surprised if Goochland beats East Rockingham.  East Rockingham beat a good Riverheads team, but don't be fooled by that area.  Their schedule isn't as tough as many think.  Central Woodstock, Clark County, RE Lee, Luray and those schools are not a better caliber than Goochland.  It's a common thing where one of those 2A schools out there puts up big numbers each year, be it Clarke, Central, Stuarts Draft or Wilson Memorial in the past, only to not win it.  When a Region C school like Radford, Giles, Glenvar, Appo, or Gretna puts up big number in the regular season, play close attention to it because they are going to be dangerous.  When a Region B school puts up big numbers, I pay attention, but I just don't take it as serious.  I've seen it to many times. Goochland in Region A has 2 titles in the past 12 years.  Never count out Region C.  That region with Radford, Appo, and the rest is tough and has won 5 titles in a row and 8 out of 11 at the 2A level.  The best two teams left may be in the West and whether it's Graham or Radford, both can beat either one in the East.  

On 11/25/2018 at 10:24 AM, Hokie1Pokie said:

Have seen em on Facebook against Riverheads.  That game was streamed by a Riverheads fan.  Contrary to what you may have heard, East Rockingham absolutely does not have the athletes of Graham.  It's not even close.  They do have a very solid offensive and defensive line.  They are a team that is ahead of the rest on the offensive coaching curve.  They run a wide open offense with tons of QB read option and screens.  Their offense would remind you of a Washington State type offense at the High School level.  They fool the opponent and depending on the defensive set, the play is called or changed at the line of scrimmage every time.  They get a lead and teams try to play catch up and get taken out of their offense.  They are very, very good, but they are not more talented than Graham.  Graham is also bigger on the line, but from an offensive coaching perspective, they are as good or better than any Virginia 2A team.  I know Goochland is very well coached and physical and loves to run the ball.  Don't be shocked when you are looking at scores and Goochland and East Rockingham are in a dogfight mid way through the third quarter where Goochland gashes them with runs and ball control offense, and a much better defense than what East Rockingham has faced this season including Riverheads.