2019 schedules

ojrussell

2 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I think Union will definitely surprise some people. I think next years team will be better than this years. Call me crazy, but I expect it. 

Depending on how things develop, I don't think that is quite as crazy as some would believe. But the schedule is absolutely brutal. Could be a better team but only be 6-4

3 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I think Union will definitely surprise some people. I think next years team will be better than this years. Call me crazy, but I expect it. 

I agree with you. Considering all the senior talent that graduated from the 17 team, it was actually impressive seeing new young blood step up this season. Next 2-3 season Union will be a powerhouse. Just wonder about the QB situation though. I'm sure that will pan out well too.

5 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

I agree with you. Considering all the senior talent that graduated from the 17 team, it was actually impressive seeing new young blood step up this season. Next 2-3 season Union will be a powerhouse. Just wonder about the QB situation though. I'm sure that will pan out well too.

That'll be the key, how the next QB develops. The talent is there (but he's a better basketball player, he's an absolute stud on the hardwood) but if he makes a lot of mistakes, it'll put them in A hole with having to replace three OL, a 1200+ yard rusher, etc.... 

I'm hoping that the skill set the youngster possesses brings about a more dynamic offense. Turner wasn't as mobile coming back from such a devastating injury but the youngster has no qualms with taking off, sometimes to his detriment, but that comes with experience.

19 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

The QB position will be fine. He has a TON of potential. My biggest concern is just mixing in a youthful team with a very tough schedule. 

17 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

So Tazewell is not playing Hurley or Riverview, but keeping Bluefield?? Lol. I heard Honaker & Tazewell is going happen in 2019 & 2020.

I’ve heard possibly picking up Princeton 

9 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

So Tazewell is not playing Hurley or Riverview, but keeping Bluefield?? Lol. I heard Honaker & Tazewell is going happen in 2019 & 2020.

Tazewell has 2 more years on the contract with Bluefield. I believe it was a 4 year deal.

23 hours ago, chipinbogey said:

I think you're confused or I have a comprehension issue. Union/Burton is usually Week 1 on Thursday.

22 hours ago, Bigtom said:

Burton dropped Union and picked up Ridgeview 1st game of season

Yes, Ridgeview and Burton play week 1 the next two seasons.  Not sure if it will be a Thursday game or not.

17 hours ago, trumpet1988 said:

Who is Union picking up and dropping next season?

I don't think it's all set in stone, but we know Burton is gone (RIP, I hate it. No reason those teams shouldn't play) as well as West. 

We know Graham is a game, and I've heard Science Hill, Elizabethton, or other schools taking West's spot.

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I don't think it's all set in stone, but we know Burton is gone (RIP, I hate it. No reason those teams shouldn't play) as well as West. 

We know Graham is a game, and I've heard Science Hill, Elizabethton, or other schools taking West's spot.

I heard a couple weeks ago.. this coming up year they will pickup Elizabethton.. And in 2 years fit Science Hill in some where..

Just now, UNION#ATW said:

I heard a couple weeks ago.. this coming up year they will pickup Elizabethton.. And in 2 years fit Science Hill in some where..

Yeah that's about exactly the scenario I heard, Elizabethton next season for the time being and then go from there with SH being a possibility.

But I dont believe anything is finalized so things could change. 

FWIW, I don't wanna make things weird or speak out of turn so I'll be vague here, but your family (I don't know how much you wanna let people know) absolutely floored me this season. He is young and raw, but man he is fun to watch. The term I use more often than not is heat seeking missile. Once he finishes growing, his body develops and he learns the more complex parts of the defensive scheme (he came a long way in one season, coming in fresh with no history with this staff), I think he can be a very, very good football player. I absolutely love his emotion and clear desire. As someone who is also uber competitive, I totally understand and I really enjoy seeing a kid who cares so much about his team. Not about himself or his personal stats, but the simple act of seeing his team succeed. Union has been lucky enough to have a ton of kids like that, but most were raised here and have been together for a long time. For someone to come into the system and buy in fully so quick, it's admirable. 

I'm not a coach, teacher, booster, or some old dude who has been around for years so my opinion truly doesn't mean much, but I don't think I'm the only one who has been impressed. 

17 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

In Bluefield the first year? I haven't heard for sure either way.

Someone mentioned it was gonna be in Bluefield a couple weeks back but seems to early to know for sure and if we're playing Elizabethan or science hill u would assume the first year would be away so we may only have 4 home games if that's the case.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Someone mentioned it was gonna be in Bluefield a couple weeks back but seems to early to know for sure and if we're playing Elizabethan or science hill u would assume the first year would be away so we may only have 4 home games if that's the case.

That's exactly why I asked lol. If Union goes to Bluefield, they'll likely only have four home games. Next year is already a transition year, now we are making it much harder lol

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah that's about exactly the scenario I heard, Elizabethton next season for the time being and then go from there with SH being a possibility.

But I dont believe anything is finalized so things could change. 

FWIW, I don't wanna make things weird or speak out of turn so I'll be vague here, but your family (I don't know how much you wanna let people know) absolutely floored me this season. He is young and raw, but man he is fun to watch. The term I use more often than not is heat seeking missile. Once he finishes growing, his body develops and he learns the more complex parts of the defensive scheme (he came a long way in one season, coming in fresh with no history with this staff), I think he can be a very, very good football player. I absolutely love his emotion and clear desire. As someone who is also uber competitive, I totally understand and I really enjoy seeing a kid who cares so much about his team. Not about himself or his personal stats, but the simple act of seeing his team succeed. Union has been lucky enough to have a ton of kids like that, but most were raised here and have been together for a long time. For someone to come into the system and buy in fully so quick, it's admirable. 

I'm not a coach, teacher, booster, or some old dude who has been around for years so my opinion truly doesn't mean much, but I don't think I'm the only one who has been impressed. 

Thanks BigWinners and all the Union fans that spoke to me after the games for the shout out for him,

I feel that Union will have a really good defense next year...On the offences side we still need to plug in some players...(Meaning the boys need to work hard in the off seasons to feel some of the gaps)..This is my opinion only "Coach Turner is a great mentor and leader for the boys at Union"...For what he's taught my SON in 5 months hands down, Him and his stuff has brought him to the next level...

And there a lot of people that know me from Union...I have told all the KIDS that spoken to me that there NO OFFSEASON IN FOOTBALL NO MORE!!     ITS... 24/7....365

GO BEARS!!! 

1 hour ago, UNION#ATW said:

Thanks BigWinners and all the Union fans that spoke to me after the games for the shout out for him,

I feel that Union will have a really good defense next year...On the offences side we still need to plug in some players...(Meaning the boys need to work hard in the off seasons to feel some of the gaps)..This is my opinion only "Coach Turner is a great mentor and leader for the boys at Union"...For what he's taught my SON in 5 months hands down, Him and his stuff has brought him to the next level...

And there a lot of people that know me from Union...I have told all the KIDS that spoken to me that there NO OFFSEASON IN FOOTBALL NO MORE!!     ITS... 24/7....365

GO BEARS!!! 

I think there's absolutely zero doubt when it comes to Turner and his staff's ability to get the kids to play together, be prepared, carry themselves with the utmost composure and play within themselves. There's very little if any 'hero ball', even when he had a P5 recruit, the team still played as a unit and never lost their composure.

I've scratched my head sometimes schematically, I wondered if other tactics or calls might be more effective, but there's no way anyone could ever knock Turner or his staff in terms of building kids with character who play the right way. 

My secret is that I know Turner was a QB, and QBs wanna throw the ball. It's in their DNA. So I'm hoping he gets less pragmatic and more aggressive if that makes sense. You would likely lose a couple more games that way, but there's also no way you're out of a game that way. Being down 21 points with a run dominant offense can be game over. If you can open it up even some, it's doable. You'll turn it over more, you may even punt more, but without the ability to consistently throw the ball, it makes it harder on an offense when teams stack the box or your defense falters even slightly. But that's just taste and opinion, none of that matters really. It's his team, he's done a fantastic job with the kids, and he decides how to properly move forward. He's more than earned that trust.

On 11/28/2018 at 6:25 PM, BigWinners said:

I think there's absolutely zero doubt when it comes to Turner and his staff's ability to get the kids to play together, be prepared, carry themselves with the utmost composure and play within themselves. There's very little if any 'hero ball', even when he had a P5 recruit, the team still played as a unit and never lost their composure.

I've scratched my head sometimes schematically, I wondered if other tactics or calls might be more effective, but there's no way anyone could ever knock Turner or his staff in terms of building kids with character who play the right way. 

My secret is that I know Turner was a QB, and QBs wanna throw the ball. It's in their DNA. So I'm hoping he gets less pragmatic and more aggressive if that makes sense. You would likely lose a couple more games that way, but there's also no way you're out of a game that way. Being down 21 points with a run dominant offense can be game over. If you can open it up even some, it's doable. You'll turn it over more, you may even punt more, but without the ability to consistently throw the ball, it makes it harder on an offense when teams stack the box or your defense falters even slightly. But that's just taste and opinion, none of that matters really. It's his team, he's done a fantastic job with the kids, and he decides how to properly move forward. He's more than earned that trust.

I'm as guilty as the next guy about complaining about the play calling but if u really think about it we just didn't have the athletes this season to pass a whole lot.  When we had Mitchell Gavin and Noakes we passed quiet a bit so looking ahead with the Jones kid at QB and some talent at receiving i expect the playbook to open up a little next season

7 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I'm as guilty as the next guy about complaining about the play calling but if u really think about it we just didn't have the athletes this season to pass a whole lot.  When we had Mitchell Gavin and Noakes we passed quiet a bit so looking ahead with the Jones kid at QB and some talent at receiving i expect the playbook to open up a little next season

it was just like Union refused to really attack in certain ways. They had three good WRs, Falin, Garrison and the youngster Rasnick, but there was very little attacking the middle it seemed like, and while the run game was great, if a team doesn't get game reps throwing the ball, it will hurt them if they're in a big game and aren't used to passing. 

• 1 month later...

On 11/28/2018 at 3:19 PM, 1inStripes said:

I have heard Rye Cove will be going into KY to face some Yellow Jackets.  In this case you really will have to head west through the Cumberland Gap to get there.

Scratch that.  They have now opted to not go through the Cumberland Gap and instead drive by Johnson City, TN for an opponent.