2019 schedules

ojrussell

12 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Scratch that.  They have now opted to not go through the Cumberland Gap and instead drive by Johnson City, TN for an opponent.

Jackets would have been the better opponent, even though they have got a proven SEKY coach, it will take him a few years to get the wheels on that dumpster fire going.  

3 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

Jackets would have been the better opponent, even though they have got a proven SEKY coach, it will take him a few years to get the wheels on that dumpster fire going.  

Jackets would have been tougher.  Much tougher to win on the road in KY historically for SWVA schools too.

4 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Unicoi County is closer.  Hang a left toward Elizabethton and head toward Stoney Creek.

The Unaka Rangers

7 hours ago, HaloSports2 said:

Not so sure Ridgeview is dropping people and beefing up their schedule or if people are dropping them because they don't want to play them.  I think the people dropping them is more accurate.  

I don't think Ridgeview has impressed anyone with their OOC schedule the past couple of seasons. 

Who have they dropped, or been dropped by?

8 hours ago, 24282 said:

I don't think Ridgeview has impressed anyone with their OOC schedule the past couple of seasons. 

To be fair, Ridgeview’s OOC schedule has been light, even to their own detriment, if you gauge their playoff results.  However, to hear this argument made by someone cheering for Thomas Walker, whose fans gave patently absurd defenses of their own cakewalk scheduling, is humorous.

18 hours ago, HaloSports2 said:

Not so sure Ridgeview is dropping people and beefing up their schedule or if people are dropping them because they don't want to play them.  I think the people dropping them is more accurate.  

11 hours ago, 24282 said:

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

To be fair, Ridgeview’s OOC schedule has been light, even to their own detriment, if you gauge their playoff results.  However, to hear this argument made by someone cheering for Thomas Walker, whose fans gave patently absurd defenses of their own cakewalk scheduling, is humorous.

I think I have already stated this before, but if I haven't, let me say this.  Was Ridgeview's OOC schedule weak?  Yes.  But it was very smart.  Shelby Valley got us the max points both years we played them because they play in the weakest 2A conference in Kentucky.  Pike Central was a playoff team both years.  Grundy was a playoff team both years.  And then, there's Honaker.  Ok, I have no supporting ideas for Honaker, but oh well, 3 out of 4 were pretty smart.  Easy wins plus good points.

As far the future scheduling, J. I. Burton is the opener next year on a Thursday night.  Not sure if that's at Norton or on the Ridge.  Also it is strongly rumored (not confirmed) we are replacing Pike Central with Pikeville.  Pikeville made it to the 1A finals in Kentucky this year and is traditionally a 1A power in Kentucky and will be a much tougher challenge than Pike Central.  Not sure who the other two OOC games are.

2019 Varsity Bulldog Football Schedule‬ 
‪8/30 at Virginia High‬
‪9/6 at Graham‬
‪9/13 vs Mount View‬
‪9/20 Open‬
‪9/27 at Princeton ‬
‪10/4 at Honaker ‬
‪10/11 vs Richlands‬
‪10/18 vs Bluefield ‬
‪10/25 at Marion‬
‪11/1 Grundy ‬
‪11/8 Lebanon‬

Gate City dropped Daniel Boone (TN) the other day and picked up George Wythe. Boone is maddddd and has threatened to never play us again in any sport. We fulfilled the 2 year contract, so they shouldn’t be, but whatever. 

I was told that Tennessee High wanted to play us, but we went with GW instead. 

Has anyone heard anything on Battles schedule?? I believe that I over heard back in the fall that Sullivan Central and East wanted to schedule games with them this year but that the AD did not want the change and that he doesn't like to venture out of his box. 

2 hours ago, bristol8434 said:

Has anyone heard anything on Battles schedule?? I believe that I over heard back in the fall that Sullivan Central and East wanted to schedule games with them this year but that the AD did not want the change and that he doesn't like to venture out of his box. 

After you play PH, Holston and VA High plus district opponents there is only room for one other game. That has been Lebanon the last few years. The Washington County VA and city of Bristol games have been automatic on Battle's schedule for years due to gate receipts. Not saying it's right but it is what it is.

Ridgeview's schedule has been finalized.  Though I don't know what dates they will be played on, this is what is known:

Opening game will be Thursday night, August 29 against J. I. Burton.

The other three non-conference opponents are Pikeville (probable loss, if they're anything like they normally are) and Shelby Valley and Honaker (probable wins).

On 1/22/2019 at 8:34 AM, bristol8434 said:

East and Central both suck, other than bonus points, it doesn't do you any good to play them! Play North and South at least you might get a good game!

On 11/28/2018 at 2:39 PM, BigWinners said:

Yeah that's about exactly the scenario I heard, Elizabethton next season for the time being and then go from there with SH being a possibility.

But I dont believe anything is finalized so things could change. 

FWIW, I don't wanna make things weird or speak out of turn so I'll be vague here, but your family (I don't know how much you wanna let people know) absolutely floored me this season. He is young and raw, but man he is fun to watch. The term I use more often than not is heat seeking missile. Once he finishes growing, his body develops and he learns the more complex parts of the defensive scheme (he came a long way in one season, coming in fresh with no history with this staff), I think he can be a very, very good football player. I absolutely love his emotion and clear desire. As someone who is also uber competitive, I totally understand and I really enjoy seeing a kid who cares so much about his team. Not about himself or his personal stats, but the simple act of seeing his team succeed. Union has been lucky enough to have a ton of kids like that, but most were raised here and have been together for a long time. For someone to come into the system and buy in fully so quick, it's admirable. 

I'm not a coach, teacher, booster, or some old dude who has been around for years so my opinion truly doesn't mean much, but I don't think I'm the only one who has been impressed. 

Union isn't playing Elizabethton or Science Hill.  Paintsville, KY has been added to the schedule for home and away the next 2 years!

2019 THOMAS WALKER SCHEDULE

8/30 - CUMBERLAND GAP, TN. - AWAY

9/6 - OPEN

9/13 - CASTLEWOOD - AWAY

9/20 - RYE COVE - HOME

9/27 - PINEVILLE, KY. - AWAY

10/4 - HARLAN, KY. - HOME

10/11 - HANCOCK COUNTY, TN. - HOME

10/18 - TWIN VALLEY - AWAY

10/25 - EASTSIDE - AWAY

11/1 - TWIN SPRINGS - HOME

11/8 - J.I. BURTON - HOME

UVAObserver have fun bashing a Single A schools schedule.