Home Field Advantage?

footballfan99

One thing caught my eye this weekend, should LB have home-field advantage over Heritage in the 3A semi-final? They both had the same amount of points at 29.90, according to the VHSL website. I always thought the tiebreaker would go to the common opponents, where LB beat Northside 2 times to 1 and Heritage was 0-1 again Northside this year. Have any of yall had this happen to yall? Just something that caught my eye, and thought I would share. Currently, the game is slated to start at 2;30 pm at Lynchburg City Stadium. 

Not the way it is written in the official VHSL state tournament pre-report. If you go to https://www.vhsl.org/football/ and check the Football-Playoff-Format.pdf under resources, the only thing listed on the report is as follows:

Sites - Semi-Finals - The higher rated team (based on power rating) will host.

Nothing in there about a tie breaker procedure. Nothing in there about higher seed hosts. Nothing in there about any of that. So, would it be fair to assume that if there is a tie in the Power Ratingit would  revert back to the only tie breaking procedure listed anywhere to break the tie in Power Rating?

Then, article b of tie breaking procedure for regional contests is record against common opponents. Lord Botetourt 2-1 (Wins against Northside/Fleming and a loss to Northside); Heritage 1-1 (win vs. Fleming; loss vs. Northside).

No where does it say "The higher regional seed hosts unless they are both the same seed."

To me, this is another example of the VHSL dropping the ball and not having a tie breaker in place and just going with whatever they want to do.

I didn't get my info from vhsl website. Vhsl.org is vague on lots of things.

CLASS 2 SEMIFINAL: Radford will be at home next Saturday against either Graham or Richlands. Home field is determined by regional seeding (not Rating Scale average), unless both teams have the same seed.

12 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I didn't get my info from vhsl website. Vhsl.org is vague on lots of things.

CLASS 2 SEMIFINAL: Radford will be at home next Saturday against either Graham or Richlands. Home field is determined by regional seeding (not Rating Scale average), unless both teams have the same seed.

I wish VHSL had a less vague website...

33 minutes ago, footballfan99 said:

I don't know anything personally about Shawn Knight (mentioned in the article), but when I emailed him about a situation last year, he not only sidestepped my question, he wouldn't return my email on the follow-up. Not entirely surprised that he's the point man on a confusing situation.

Jamie Harlesss has a legitimate complaint.  The state semifinal tiebreaker should not be a completely different tiebreaker system than the regional format.  I think this is just more posturing by VHSL to divert attention away from it's own shortcomings in setting up the tiebreaker under the new 4-region format.  They screwed up in writing the rules and deserve to be taken to task over the screw up.  

The statement in and of itself, "VHSL Semifinals on Decemner 1st at higher seed based on power ratings" deserves mockery!

21 hours ago, sixcat said:

Jamie Harlesss has a legitimate complaint.  The state semifinal tiebreaker should not be a completely different tiebreaker system than the regional format.  I think this is just more posturing by VHSL to divert attention away from it's own shortcomings in setting up the tiebreaker under the new 4-region format.  They screwed up in writing the rules and deserve to be taken to task over the screw up.  

The statement in and of itself, "VHSL Semifinals on Decemner 1st at higher seed based on power ratings" deserves mockery!

Well said buddy!

This decision may not bode well for Heritage on Saturday. You know the coaches and kids from Botetourt are gonna be a little pissed when they take the field and it’s not at their house. And we’ve all seen what this Botetourt team can do with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. They shut down an outstanding bluefield team on the road when most people, myself included expected bluefield to win that game. They may be even more eager now to prove that they are not only the better team, but also deserved to play in front of their home crowd. 

3 hours ago, Suit Up said:

This decision may not bode well for Heritage on Saturday. You know the coaches and kids from Botetourt are gonna be a little pissed when they take the field and it’s not at their house. And we’ve all seen what this Botetourt team can do with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. They shut down an outstanding bluefield team on the road when most people, myself included expected bluefield to win that game. They may be even more eager now to prove that they are not only the better team, but also deserved to play in front of their home crowd. 

100% on that. So many people counted botty out in the Bluefield game, and botty messed them up. Botty will definitely have a chip on their shoulder.