Chilhowie Field

WarDog

33 minutes ago, Smyhcounty said:

358t9gm.jpg

VHSL has decided to give Chilhowie another shot at playing the game on their own field Saturday.  The rain in supposed to stop tonight and several prominent citizens have persuaded the Trump administration to deploy a couple of Blackhawk Helicopters to dry off the field before kickoff.

I didnt know Tazewell had a Blackhawk.

15 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I didnt know Tazewell had a Blackhawk.

Yeah, they only use it for baseball games, The true king of athletics at Tazewell (insert sarcasm). 🙄 

Back on topic. Chilhowie should have at least have gotten a say. I think its just poor PR the way VHSL went about it, but as cityofRaven put the VHSL does not care about anyone's feelings. It will still be a good game regardless. I see Chilhowie winning but in their closest game yet. They will have to battle, which is something they haven't had to do. Look for Chilhowie starters to play their first full game of 2018. Galax will put up a fight bc they are the most battle hardened team in the coverage area. But this is the year of the Warriors.

Frankly, this is probably the beginning of the end of State Semifinals being hosted by home teams. I don't think they will touch regionals. I do believe once it gets to state semifinals, you are going to start seeing games moved to neutral sites, closest to the home team for "home field advantage". I could even see teams with turf losing hosting rights, not for fairness, but bc the VHSL said so (insert Stone Cold Steve Austin voice). It sucks frankly but its just a sign of the times.

I also just realized how many memes and Late 90s/ Early 2000s WWF/WCW pro wrestling catchphrases I could have included in this post. 😅

Dec. 6, 2002 WDBJ 7 FFE prior to the George Wythe-Gate City semi-final game:

The white stuff blanketed the state on Wednesday and since then schools have been scrambling to get their fields uncovered for tomorrow's games. 
Entire communities have literally chipped in help the cause and in the case of George Wythe high school in Wytheville, a helicopter was brought in from Bristol to dry the field after the townsfolk spent much of Thursday and Thursday night literally shoveling the field clean. 

According to WCYB who was live just a few minutes ago at the school. VHSL is currently looking at the field with boots on the ground and are open to alternative sites other than Emory if they elect not to allow the game at Chilhowie. A decision will be made at 2:30pm.

4 minutes ago, Smyhcounty said:

According to WCYB who was live just a few minutes ago at the school. VHSL is currently looking at the field with boots on the ground and are open to alternative sites other than Emory if they elect not to allow the game at Chilhowie. A decision will be made at 2:30pm.

If those officials are wearing Muck Boots that may be a good indicator the game doesnt need to be played there. 

Poor VHSL, they have changed their mind more than my wife trying to decide on an outfit to wear to dinner.

6 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

If those officials are wearing Muck Boots that may be a good indicator the game doesnt need to be played there. 

Poor VHSL, they have changed their mind more than my wife trying to decide on an outfit to wear to dinner.

Could they play in these?:

2z6dmk2.jpg

7 minutes ago, rjhall71 said:

What sense does moving the game to Saltville make? How many weeks has it been since a game was played on that field and is it even ready to host a game that will happen in less than 24 hours?

Drainage should be just fine pouring into those caves underneath it as long as another sinkhole doesn't open up...

23 minutes ago, Single_A_Fan said:

Game is moved to Northwood, 1:30 PM Saturday

17 minutes ago, sixcat said:

This is bordering on the absurd! 

8 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Drainage should be just fine pouring into those caves underneath it as long as another sinkhole doesn't open up...

When I saw the tweet from Galax Gazzette a few minutes ago, I was thinking the same thing @sixcat  Not only is Northwood grass, it had a sinkhole two weeks before the season which wasn't deemed even playable on till like the Wednesday before the season started.  And Northwood and Chilhowie hate each other.  Makes no sense to me.

6 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

When I saw the tweet from Galax Gazzette a few minutes ago, I was thinking the same thing @sixcat  Not only is Northwood grass, it had a sinkhole two weeks before the season which wasn't deemed even playable on till like the Wednesday before the season started.  And Northwood and Chilhowie hate each other.  Makes no sense to me.

Haha.  Saltville will water the field and dig holes in it tonight so it won't be playable tomorrow.  They'll be picketing in the streets protesting allowing Chilhowie in their stadium.  And you think I'm kidding....

5 minutes ago, Smyhcounty said:

Haha.  Saltville will water the field and dig holes in it tonight so it won't be playable tomorrow.  They'll be picketing in the streets protesting allowing Chilhowie in their stadium.  And you think I'm kidding....

Can somebody clue the rest of us in as to why there is such distaste for one another there?

1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, I would like to know who made THIS decision...

Somebody at work that knows the coach said first choice was Marion then Northwood, Rural Retreat, somewhere else I can't remember and the finally V High

1 minute ago, Smyhcounty said:

Looks like they added some visitors bleachers since last time I was there.   Parking will be an issue thats for sure.

mkf80x.jpg

So what makes this Mudpit better than Chilhowie field? What a mess this week has been. Heck at this point We are gonna have 1qt in Saltville. 2nd in Chilhowie. 3rd at PH, and end it in Emory.