Chilhowie Field

WarDog

Evolve or die. We live in the 21st Century. We have video Hudl on the field and turf fields. They exist today use them. Its Dec. 1 we have had rain and snow and the fields are trashed. Play on the best field PERIOD!! Emory is 15 min from Chilhowie they were the home host going 15 minutes to a field that is in Perfect Shape isnt too much to ask. Evolve, don't talk about 90s football 80s football BS. There weren't turf fields so teams had to play on them. If turf fields had been at Wise, Emory, Salem, Bluefield etc games would have been played on them. But they didn't exist. Evolve or die. 

1 minute ago, Blue_Crue said:

Evolve or die. We live in the 21st Century. We have video Hudl on the field and turf fields. They exist today use them. Its Dec. 1 we have had rain and snow and the fields are trashed. Play on the best field PERIOD!! Emory is 15 min from Chilhowie they were the home host going 15 minutes to a field that is in Perfect Shape isnt too much to ask. Evolve, don't talk about 90s football 80s football BS. There weren't turf fields so teams had to play on them. If turf fields had been at Wise, Emory, Salem, Bluefield etc games would have been played on them. But they didn't exist. Evolve or die. 

Evolve or Die is spot on.  But, where things get messy is what defines Evolve.  Why not play on dirt instead of turf?  Dirt requires no maintenance of any kind.  Some of the cleaning ages used on Turf and some of the chemicals placed on grass field are linked to neurological illness like MS and Lou Gehrig's disease and if you get the latter, you die.  Therefore, which one of the above is evolving?  My point is, because something is done different or is new, or is invented with technology does not mean something is automatically evolving.  Evolving in its evolutionary sense (as it truly relates to living or dying) is not always related to technology. 

Now, if the jest of your message was, "get with the program because this is the way things are now and this is the way it is," then no argument from me.  But to say "we have the way it is now and they way it used to be was then and we have evolved" is subjective.

2 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

The game broadcast is apparently delayed on the NFHS network.  Not cool!

That could be an equipment thing.  HOW MUCH of a delay?

When Randy Hess was in Fla. for one of Josh's games, he called me to find out why Ron was so far behind the tweets.

I have 2 feeds for my Blues games - one has zero delay at home and a couple of seconds on the road (phone line) - the other ('net) has a 30 second delay. THEN the Internet feed has it's own :30 delay, just because.

10 hours ago, gwloyal said:

I vividly remember a few years ago when GW was visiting Northwood, and the game was delayed for 30-40 minutes so a small sinkhole that formed mid-game could be filled with dirt. Good times!

I think that was in 2000.

So, I know that this is after the fact and kind of irrelevant, but let's address the real reason why the game was played at Northwood and not Emory. Chilhowie's field was deemed to be unsuitable for playing on, but let's be honest with ourselves, Northwood's field wasn't going to be any better. While Marion's field was in rough shape at the end of the season due to hosting back to back games in November rain, it has good grass and would have been in good condition to play on. Patrick Henry has a very large natural grass stadium, and GW would have been an ideal "midway" point between the two schools. 

But they went with Northwood, after a delegate intervened, which tells you the real motivation behind the move to Saltville.

Saltville has NOTHING. Two analog gas stations that were rendered useless by their proximity to the stadium, a Subway, a Chinese restaurant, and a drive-in restaurant that is off the beaten path into town. Chilhowie had a Christmas parade that morning and was expecting to host the biggest non-Smyth-rivalry game that  they had hosted since the 70s. To the Chilhowie tourism department this was a second Apple Festival, and if they couldn't host the game, at least several hundred (at worst) people would have to get off I-81 in Chilhowie, drive directly past their Hardees, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Food City, and three gas stations before leaving the corporate limit north to Saltville, where a person would inevitably be out of options for gas, lunch, etc.

Not to say that folks hearts weren't in the right place by wanting Chilhowie to have the right to host it, but moving the game to Northwood was strictly based on local economics. It keeps the revenue in Chilhowie rather than Glade and Washington County.

14 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

So, I know that this is after the fact and kind of irrelevant, but let's address the real reason why the game was played at Northwood and not Emory. Chilhowie's field was deemed to be unsuitable for playing on, but let's be honest with ourselves, Northwood's field wasn't going to be any better. While Marion's field was in rough shape at the end of the season due to hosting back to back games in November rain, it has good grass and would have been in good condition to play on. Patrick Henry has a very large natural grass stadium, and GW would have been an ideal "midway" point between the two schools. 

But they went with Northwood, after a delegate intervened, which tells you the real motivation behind the move to Saltville.

Saltville has NOTHING. Two analog gas stations that were rendered useless by their proximity to the stadium, a Subway, a Chinese restaurant, and a drive-in restaurant that is off the beaten path into town. Chilhowie had a Christmas parade that morning and was expecting to host the biggest non-Smyth-rivalry game that  they had hosted since the 70s. To the Chilhowie tourism department this was a second Apple Festival, and if they couldn't host the game, at least several hundred (at worst) people would have to get off I-81 in Chilhowie, drive directly past their Hardees, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Food City, and three gas stations before leaving the corporate limit north to Saltville, where a person would inevitably be out of options for gas, lunch, etc.

Not to say that folks hearts weren't in the right place by wanting Chilhowie to have the right to host it, but moving the game to Northwood was strictly based on local economics. It keeps the revenue in Chilhowie rather than Glade and Washington County.

Dude you forgot the main thing. The dollar general, and two pointless red lights. Also a pond the 3/4ths duck/geese crap.

53 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

The late venue change ensured no group had time to set-up concessions. VHSL no-reentry ensured the neighboring convenience station wouldn't benefit.  The big winner: CHS Cheerleaders. Their 50-50 pot was $3186.

1 minute ago, Liam McPoyle said:

The late venue change ensured no group had time to set-up concessions. VHSL no-reentry ensured the neighboring convenience station wouldn't benefit.  The big winner: CHS Cheerl 

No kiding!!!!!!!

The 50/50 was $1,593!

1 minute ago, 1inStripes said:

Id like to have gotten in on that.  Largest one I can remember was the Sunday Radford/Gate City game a few years ago.  I think the winner of it walked away with around $1500.

$1,593 is what the winner walked away with yesterday!!!!!!! 

50/50 total was $3,186!!!!

One of the things that struck me as odd was it kept being said they was going to loose the concessions that they stocked up on. As that was a huge factor in why everyone was so upset. Yet no concessions sold. If they had time to bring the goal post pads and field tarp for the sidelines, then why didn't they have time to bring the concessions and set up? The pizza place that pulled in behind the Galax stands made a killing.