Graham/Goochland: VA 2A Championship

Deleted Account

Ihave watched a few HUDL videos on GOOCHLAND, the offence reminds you some of UNION last year because they line up and say "here we come , now stop us", the "D"has some weak spots in the passing game and seem to be a step or two slower to the GMEN.GRAHAM will have to out physical them and let your two LINEBACKERS smack them in the mouth some , then let CAM open the "D" up with his arm and his playmakers score from way out.GOOD LUCK GMEN 35-21

5 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Ihave watched a few HUDL videos on GOOCHLAND, the offence reminds you some of UNION last year because they line up and say "here we come , now stop us", the "D"has some weak spots in the passing game and seem to be a step or two slower to the GMEN.GRAHAM will have to out physical them and let your two LINEBACKERS smack them in the mouth some , then let CAM open the "D" up with his arm and his playmakers score from way out.GOOD LUCK GMEN 35-21

I hope you are right!!!

1 hour ago, blfdfan04 said:

Musselman was indeed the #16 seed that season. I remember Bluefield was heavily favored by many to beat them and win the championship and there seemed to be a lot of excitement in the city the week going into that game. That game was the game that taught me as a fan that nothing is guaranteed and that you can never underestimate any opponent  Bluefield plays in any given year especially in the post season. Graham went on to win their state championship the following week as a heavy underdog it seemed and it was the Virginia side boys that ended up bringing the title back home, which was cool and seemed to make things better. So since we didn't get a repeat of 1962, hopefully we get a repeat of 1995 where the G-Men can bring their Virginia state title back home to the Bluefield area. Good luck Saturday, the whole community supports you!!

I was at that game.  My first trip to Wheeling to watch Bluefield in a state title game. It was shocking to watch the Beavers fail to field the ball on the opening kickoff.  Mussleman recovered it inside the five and eventually scored to put the Beavers down early and Bluefield never could get into a flow to win the game.  Denero Marriott was a WR/DB on the Applemen who went on the play at Marshall.  I hated it for future Parade AA, Yubrenal Isabelle since that was the only title game he played in and it turned out to be a loss.  # 35 out there for Bluefield is an assistant on Graham's staff this year.  Here's the game video: 

According to a tweet from an Amelia fan that watched the Goochland vs Poquoson game, Poquoson went 1 for 15 passing with 3 passes dropped for touchdowns with a defender not within 5 yds. Goochland trailed 14-7 with 8 minutes and Poquoson had a first and ten from the Goochland 11 and Goochland got a deflected interception at their own ten. They were about to be down 21-7. My point is, it appears they may be susceptible to the pass. Amelia had 150 yds passing on Goochland in the regular season. But, Amelia only mustered 20 yds passing in the second half and Goochland gashed them with runs. 

Goochland is susceptible, but having seen them about 4 times in the last 15 years, they are VERY athletic. Do not let the run and pound you style fool you. It fools a many of teams on many years by thinking they are more athletic than Goochland. Goochland is very athletic and has athletes all over the field. They play smash and run because they can, not because they don't have athletes. They have reminded me much of the old Rustburg teams from the late 80s and all through the 90s in that they love to run the ball and play defense and are physical and have guys flying to the ball defensively, yet they are still very very athletic.

31 minutes ago, bhs7695 said:

I was at that game.  My first trip to Wheeling to watch Bluefield in a state title game. It was shocking to watch the Beavers fail to field the ball on the opening kickoff.  Mussleman recovered it inside the five and eventually scored to put the Beavers down early and Bluefield never could get into a flow to win the game.  Denero Marriott was a WR/DB on the Applemen who went on the play at Marshall.  I hated it for future Parade AA, Yubrenal Isabelle since that was the only title game he played in and it turned out to be a loss.  # 35 out there for Bluefield is an assistant on Graham's staff this year.  Here's the game video: 

Yeah I hated that for Isabelle. I remember during the games I listened to on the radio that year if I recall the Bluefield announcers nicknamed Isabelle the "Bull" and Dews the "Moose" lol because they would just plow over people and they were quick. I thought the Beavers were so invincible after that win over Poca in the semifinal that year and that they would just plow over Musselman. #35 was Dissibio if I'm correct and I didn't know he was an assistant for Graham. Good for him and best of luck to him and the G-Men Saturday!

3 hours ago, bhs7695 said:

I just watched the video and found myself ... saying to myself .... "Go Beavers" ... at the end of the fight song! 🙂

Thanks for the share!

14 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

Feel free to elaborate because you are normally pretty accurate.

I actually just posted that to start a war haha but in all reality, there’s no way that Goochland beats the same Graham team that played Saturday. I’ve gotten to watch a lot of good football teams this season and Radford is a very good team and Graham made them look like a 1-12 team, not a 12-1 team. Graham’s performance is the best I’ve seen from any team this season. G-Men leave Salem with a 10-point victory. 

5 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

And to all the Graham fans on here, do what you can to encourage your fan base to show up because it’s disappointing. Do a fan bus if you need to. Goochland typically brings a big and loud crowd and that can be a difference maker. 

Does the school or the county not provide some sort of option to parents and fans? Something like a $10 bus ticket or do a bus and game ticket package? I feel like that would draw more people who wouldn’t want to make the almost 2 hr drive. Regardless people need to get together from both sides of the state line and support the team when boarding the bus and start to get the word out about car pooling and what not! This is a pretty major accomplishment for the G-Men regardless of the outcome in Salem and they deserve all of the support they can get!

10 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

And to all the Graham fans on here, do what you can to encourage your fan base to show up because it’s disappointing. Do a fan bus if you need to. Goochland typically brings a big and loud crowd and that can be a difference maker. 

My wife and I are coming in from staunton for the game on Saturday to support the gmen so hope many from swva will also

3 hours ago, BoomStick said:

Does the school or the county not provide some sort of option to parents and fans? Something like a $10 bus ticket or do a bus and game ticket package? I feel like that would draw more people who wouldn’t want to make the almost 2 hr drive. Regardless people need to get together from both sides of the state line and support the team when boarding the bus and start to get the word out about car pooling and what not! This is a pretty major accomplishment for the G-Men regardless of the outcome in Salem and they deserve all of the support they can get!

The students can sign up for $15 which includes ticket. They are taking two pep buses. Not sure if parents can ride though, thinking it's just for students. 

9 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I'm hoping some more of our SWVA friends will come help us out. Tony Palmer and Co have the GMen in the state title for the first time since 2001 we should be able to pack Salem Stadium by ourselves!! 

Are cowbells allowed???

1 minute ago, 99Bama said:

I'm hoping some more of our SWVA friends will come help us out. Tony Palmer and Co have the GMen in the state title for the first time since 2001 we should be able to pack Salem Stadium by ourselves!! 

Are cowbells allowed???

Sadly, I don't think they are. I'll do some research. I may bring one of my own to support the G-Men if it's allowed!

42 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Sadly, I don't think they are. I'll do some research. I may bring one of my own to support the G-Men if it's allowed!

We had cowbells and airhorns going last week not sure if they have a different set of rules for the state game.

I hope Graham comes out like they did against Radford.  You got to believe that Goochland has been playing very inspired ball since the playoffs started, seeing that they weren't picked to be where they are.  That type of outside noise can really bring a team together to play some really good football and it looks like it has for them.  I would expect it to be a good, solid, 4 quarter game.  I'll be pulling for Graham.

16 hours ago, blfdfan04 said:

Yeah I hated that for Isabelle. I remember during the games I listened to on the radio that year if I recall the Bluefield announcers nicknamed Isabelle the "Bull" and Dews the "Moose" lol because they would just plow over people and they were quick. I thought the Beavers were so invincible after that win over Poca in the semifinal that year and that they would just plow over Musselman. #35 was Dissibio if I'm correct and I didn't know he was an assistant for Graham. Good for him and best of luck to him and the G-Men Saturday!

Correct Disibbio wore #35 and he joined Graham's staff last year. He and Dews were Sophomores during the '95 season.  So was Charlie Tynes and I'm not sure how much he got to play that year because of all the other talent they had.  Set up nicely for them as seniors in '97 to go 14-0 and win Bluefield's first AA title that season.  I had the same thought after the semi-final games when I saw we were going to play the 16 seed.  I was at City Park hanging out with friends and turned to my cousin and said: "Man, we got this!"

I'm pulling for Graham to bring home a state football championship to Bluefield VA.  Best of luck boys!

2 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Yea cowbells, air horns, etc are allowed any other time at Salem Stadium, just not at the state game. 

Unless there are so many cowbells that the stadium simply does not have the staff to confiscate them. I'm not saying a mob mentality works all the time, but we see how far the SEC got at Miss State with getting them taken. There is 0% chance that the on-field crew will call any sort of unsportsmanlike foul because of cowbells.

3 hours ago, 99Bama said:

Are cowbells allowed???

There were MANY cow bells at the semifinals!

MANY ... BRING YOURS!