Graham/Goochland: VA 2A Championship

Deleted Account

I’m as glad as any Bluefield fan is the Graham won the title, congrats to them, sincerely. But If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard if Bluefield played Graham at the end of the schedule instead of the first game it would be different. I’ve been hearing that since the ‘80s, as if Bluefield teams don’t get better with experience either. The two teams played for completely different titles in different states against different teams, so it doesn’t matter who won what. At the end of the year this was still a Bluefield team that was head and shoulders bigger, stronger and faster and more talented than Graham was, just like game 1. That was Graham’s difficultly with Bluefield, they just didn’t match up with them physically in most areas, nor would they have in Dec. 

But as I said, congrats to Graham, sincerely. 

7 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I counted 55 on the sideline.  Did the playoff book include their jv players?

It only lists 3 ninth graders. That might be the difference if the rest of them were dressed out too.

https://catalog.e-digitaleditions.com/i/1056710-2018-vhsl-football-championships/0?

Here's a little tidbit per Tim Hayes that showed up on social media: 

"On this day in 2006, Richlands won the VHSL Group AA, Division 3 football championship with a 29-28 win over Rockbridge County.

It capped a perfect 14-0 season in which the Blue Tornado averaged 46.6 points per game. (Photo by David Crigger/Bristol Herald Courier) "

I guarantee Dennis Palmer as Richlands Defensive Coordinator in 2006 would have laughed if somebody told him back then that his third state championship would come as an assistant at Graham in 2018. 

9 hours ago, buzzsaw said:

I’m as glad as any Bluefield fan is the Graham won the title, congrats to them, sincerely. But If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard if Bluefield played Graham at the end of the schedule instead of the first game it would be different. I’ve been hearing that since the ‘80s, as if Bluefield teams don’t get better with experience either. The two teams played for completely different titles in different states against different teams, so it doesn’t matter who won what. At the end of the year this was still a Bluefield team that was head and shoulders bigger, stronger and faster and more talented than Graham was, just like game 1. That was Graham’s difficultly with Bluefield, they just didn’t match up with them physically in most areas, nor would they have in Dec. 

But as I said, congrats to Graham, sincerely. 

All teams improve usually, but a few improve much greater than others on a given season. That's applicable to both Graham and Bluefield in 2017 and 2018. Graham improved to the point that if they Bluefield at seasons end this year, it would be a close game (I think). Last year,  Bluefield beats Graham by 21+ points Easily at seasons end, yet the game went down to the one yard line in 2017. Bluefield improved at an alarmingly high level compared to every team in the area in 2017. Congrats to both schools who represented the area well and I'm sure will do the same thing next year. Next year, I think the Beavers are favored (time will tell) because Graham will be breaking in a host of new starters on the OL, and Bluefields DL will be solid, and early on that can matter. The matchup favors Bluefield, but that's a long way away and things can change, and Graham's defense will keep them in it and give em a chance 

The addition of Raley, Edwards and Meadows (who played a limited role due to injury) made a huge difference for Graham.  Who cares who would win now.  Graham did what they needed to do and won when it counted.  Good luck next year to both.  I wish they would play the big game at the end of the season personally.  Anybody who cant see the huge improvement in Graham this year is as blind as a bat.