Gate City vs Wise Central

Lexi

11 hours ago, F@lcon said:

Wise fans were allowed to hang a sign saying “Merry Christmas to everyone except GC”.  That falls on the school administrators as much as TJ.  With the history of these teams, why allow something that starts a riff between crowds (much like the diapers on sticks at GC) before the game starts?  

TJ is the administration now at Central if I am not mistaken after Collins retired in September.  That being said, I really found no fault with the sign.  Those who were offended are getting awfully soft.  It was harmless and the response at the end of the game was appropriate.  It should all be considered good fun IMO.

6 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I love the trash talk. Love things like that. Love this “rivalry” as well.  But you gotta expect to catch hell when it doesn’t end well for you. Just ask Va High about the 2010 game when they wore those striked out GC shirts in warmups during football season. Wise Central kinda picked up where Va High left off. I hope the tension stays high vs these schools. It makes it super fun. Especially basketball. 

I remember the Twitter war from that GC/VHS game... that kept me up to the wee hours of the next morning in anticipation of what was going to be tweeted out next.  Great stuff.  😄

18 hours ago, Unchained said:

When you play someone multiple times and BOTH sides get chippy EVERY single time then that's BOTH coaches not getting their kids in line. At some point it is the responsibility of both coaches to have a little pow wow and say "Enough of this crap. We need to represent our communities better than this".

I've seen Vermillion come way out of his coaching box many games. I don't think he's innocent in all of this. 

What's everyone's thoughts of the referees? Looked like the damn 3 stooges.....they were terrible both ways.......I've seen some pictures from the ballgame that a jump ball was called and the players were absolutely murdering each other.  Definitely not the 3 you need in a game that you know is gonna be chippy from the start!!!

10 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

TJ is the administration now at Central if I am not mistaken after Collins retired in September.  That being said, I really found no fault with the sign.  Those who were offended are getting awfully soft.  It was harmless and the response at the end of the game was appropriate.  It should all be considered good fun IMO.

At least the sign said Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays. I’m sure that’s something all of non-left leaning folks can agree on. 

The reffing as a whole is pretty bad....everyone sees it. Theres a few that are a cut above the rest and hats off to those.  But here lately I do alot of head shaking and that's about it....try to limit my griping.  Mainly because I realize theres no way in hell I'd do what they do for what they make to do it.  So I just sit back and hope that they can weed out the calls and get them right by committee.  

I saw nothing wrong with the sign, or the response. If that's considered bad, they would've hung us from the train tressel in Moccasin Gap back in the 80's. My problem lies with intentionally taking a player out while they're in the air. I get the mouthing off at each other, making gestures, etc....that makes for an exciting game in my book, but to intentionally try to injure another person like that is bs.

17 hours ago, Unchained said:

The refs don't get to pick and choose. They are assigned

That's not totally true. Coaches can request to not have certain refs and vice versa. You think Bob Jeter is gonna just let everything go and do Central games?

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

That's not totally true. Coaches can request to not have certain refs and vice versa. You think Bob Jeter is gonna just let everything go and do Central games?

Bob Jeter has already reffed a Wise Central game this year. I do know he doesn't normally though, because I don't think they had him at all last year. 

On 12/19/2018 at 10:57 AM, EliteSWVAFan said:

Bob Jeter has already reffed a Wise Central game this year. I do know he doesn't normally though, because I don't think they had him at all last year. 

After the incident no wonder he doesn't wanna ref their games.

11 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

If that's the case then I guess Battle requests Steve Honaker every single home game.  I will say this though, I only disagreed with that guy twice last night.  Normally it's more like 22 times instead of just 2.

Schools cannot request officials (if that were happening changes need to be made for commissioner if they were honoring that).  Schools can blackball officials from working their home games.  Unless a change has taken place in the constitution I dont believe it was written to extend beyond home due to tournaments and officials working multiple associations for instance. Officials can also list any conflicts of interests and etc at the beginning of a season as well.  What I do not like is officials who will turn in games based on schools playing assigned game or travel.  If you cannot list a reason to not officiate a certain school beforehand do not turn them in later, even if you are assigned with another official who may not like working with.  It creates a major pain in the butt for the commissioner, and is disrespectful IMO.  Its also a slap in the face of the commissioner and people working the game if a school wants officials dropped after they have already been assigned, when they didnt blackball them before the season started, or without a prior issue with said official earlier in the season.  Respect is easier lost than gained, and that is a great example why on both sides of the coin.

I know many of the refs in the SWVA area, and most are not bad.....I feel as they get the short end of the stick because most of them dont suck up and kiss butt to get games like some of the others do. Their is one certain ref that I know lives in the Tri Cities area that has a game at least 3 to 4 games a week and he is no better than any in this area, but who am I? It takes alot to go out and ref basketball games and I'm not stupid enough to go out and get screamed at all night long!!