Any Info on All State?

big ugly vol

6 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Cam Allen Offensive and Defensive player of the year.

What other players have won both awards in AA in the same year?  Did Jake Houseright win it in '97???

2 hours ago, GMan said:

What other players have won both awards in AA in the same year?  Did Jake Houseright win it in '97???

Names that come to mind but I'm not sure are Div 3 back then...Vic Hall- Gretna 2004 and Anthony Poindexter-Jefferson Forrest 1993. Some near misses but I'm certain were not POY on both sides were Radfords Touchdown Tommy Edwards in 1991, Bryan Randall-VT of Bruton High in 2000 and Percy Ellsworth of Southampton in both 1990 and 1991. Poindexter, Ellsworth, and Randall were all on at least 1 All-American team and all played AA Div 3, equal to 3A now. Southampton may have been Div 4, AA, during Ellsworths senior year.

7 hours ago, GMan said:

Devon Johnson was snubbed from winning both. He was a better LB in high school than he was a RB, yet he won OPoY and not DPoY. Should have won both, imo.

19 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Devon Johnson was snubbed from winning both. He was a better LB in high school than he was a RB, yet he won OPoY and not DPoY. Should have won both, imo.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but if my memory is correct, I believe he played the majority of his career as RB only. I know he had an outstanding game on defense his junior year in the finals against Poquoson, and no doubt had the ability, but his senior year it seemed he was used only sparingly on defense due to either injury or workload concerns.  (He suffered an injury in the opener against GC, and was hobbled against Union.) Anyway, I think that would be an explanation for OPoY and not DPoY. I'm not sure of the tackling statistics, but my recollection had him coming in on mostly pass rushing downs. 

On 12/19/2018 at 12:20 AM, Ryan4VT said:

I would say strictly my opinion that it's harder for a player to named both if the team as a whole doesn't win the championship not that it seems fair to a deserving player.  I just think it's probably a given the coaches wouldn't vote for a player to receive both unless the player was one the winning team.  

• 3 months later...

Matthew Hatfield @hatfieldsports

New guidelines were released today for All-State Selection by the Virginia High School League beginning in 2019-20.

Of note (1/2): The State Player of the Year must be one of the four Region Players of the Year. This according to today's VHSL Weekly Update.

Of note (2/2): Only 1st Team All-Region representatives may be considered for All-State recognition. This according to today's VHSL Weekly Update.

great state

On 4/10/2019 at 6:31 PM, trublue said:

Matthew Hatfield @hatfieldsports

New guidelines were released today for All-State Selection by the Virginia High School League beginning in 2019-20.

Of note (1/2): The State Player of the Year must be one of the four Region Players of the Year. This according to today's VHSL Weekly Update.

Of note (2/2): Only 1st Team All-Region representatives may be considered for All-State recognition. This according to today's VHSL Weekly Update.

great state

That is the way it used to be...when did it change?