2018 Arby's Classic Thread

swva_havok_fan

Bob.........I'll take that banana split.

However, if we don't play better than we did last night, there will be no matchup with ER.  For large portions of the game we really did not run any type of offense. It was dribble down and let Zac/Brad take a deep shot.......or let them dribble around the perimeter until one of them threw up a 3...often with 2 people in their face. It is early in the season and there is still plenty of time to sort everything out. Plus, I HOPE that last night the team was focusing too much on Zac getting his 2,000 point. (BTW....read online this morning that GC is now one of only 5 schools in VHSL history to have two 2,000 point scorers.) The team also needs a little break. 4 games at the Arby's, and games on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday this week. We will be running on fumes on Saturday.

Getting Compton back will help. He has been out since before the DB game. We did have some other kids taking shots last night. That was good to see. Think 8 players scored. We also handled Union's press really well. Heard we outrebounded Union 33-19. That is also encouraging. Several positives from last night. Do not want to sound like a "Debbie Downer". We just need to be a little more disciplined on offense, and get more kids involved in the scoring earlier in the game.

Hats off to Union. They played a good game. Shot the ball well. They seem to have a good, physical team.

Officiating? Shew..........is a job I would never have. People behind me at the game last night were talking about how bad the officiating was........for both teams. If something is a foul/walk/etc.. in the 4th quarter, it should be one in the 1st. If something is a no-call in the 1st, it should be in the 4th. Is really not fair to the kids otherwise.

20 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

Not sure what it means to have "realistic expectations against bigger schools". GC has beaten "bigger schools" more than it's share. It just happened that the bigger school this time has a pretty darn good team that was ready to play. It also doesn't helping playing said bigger school after playing 4 games in 5 days. GC will be fine. I think folks need to pump the breaks.

Slow morning at work.

Realistic Expectations:

Prior to the DB game this year, GC had played 5 larger schools, and 2 schools in their same classification. The 2 VA AA schools were Lee (38 point win), and Central (32 point win) for an average win of 35 points. The 5 larger schools were Daniel Boone (14 point win), Science Hill (15 point win), Wenonah (4th ranked team in Alabama....1 point loss), Greenville (13 point win), and Sullivan East (15 point win)..for an average win of 14 points.........and an average loss of 1 point. That is an 80% winning percentage against larger schools. GC beat Science Hill by 15. DB beat them by 10.

Given the above information...........how was it not realistic that GC fans had the expectation that we COULD beat DB? Not trying to cause an uproar or start an argument. Really curious to hear peoples' answers.

Officiating at the Arby's has always been atrocious. In the first half of games and especially in the early morning games there is a whistle nearly every trip down the court. You get the feeling that some officials think they are the star of the event. LET THEM PLAY! It's one of the many reasons I did not attend this year. 

10 hours ago, Great City said:

Bob.........I'll take that banana split.

However, if we don't play better than we did last night, there will be no matchup with ER.  For large portions of the game we really did not run any type of offense. It was dribble down and let Zac/Brad take a deep shot.......or let them dribble around the perimeter until one of them threw up a 3...often with 2 people in their face. It is early in the season and there is still plenty of time to sort everything out. Plus, I HOPE that last night the team was focusing too much on Zac getting his 2,000 point. (BTW....read online this morning that GC is now one of only 5 schools in VHSL history to have two 2,000 point scorers.) The team also needs a little break. 4 games at the Arby's, and games on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday this week. We will be running on fumes on Saturday.

Getting Compton back will help. He has been out since before the DB game. We did have some other kids taking shots last night. That was good to see. Think 8 players scored. We also handled Union's press really well. Heard we outrebounded Union 33-19. That is also encouraging. Several positives from last night. Do not want to sound like a "Debbie Downer". We just need to be a little more disciplined on offense, and get more kids involved in the scoring earlier in the game.

Hats off to Union. They played a good game. Shot the ball well. They seem to have a good, physical team.

Officiating? Shew..........is a job I would never have. People behind me at the game last night were talking about how bad the officiating was........for both teams. If something is a foul/walk/etc.. in the 4th quarter, it should be one in the 1st. If something is a no-call in the 1st, it should be in the 4th. Is really not fair to the kids otherwise.

It was worse in the girls game. Fred shouldn't be allowed to call a rec league game

9 hours ago, Great City said:

Slow morning at work.

Realistic Expectations:

Prior to the DB game this year, GC had played 5 larger schools, and 2 schools in their same classification. The 2 VA AA schools were Lee (38 point win), and Central (32 point win) for an average win of 35 points. The 5 larger schools were Daniel Boone (14 point win), Science Hill (15 point win), Wenonah (4th ranked team in Alabama....1 point loss), Greenville (13 point win), and Sullivan East (15 point win)..for an average win of 14 points.........and an average loss of 1 point. That is an 80% winning percentage against larger schools. GC beat Science Hill by 15. DB beat them by 10.

Given the above information...........how was it not realistic that GC fans had the expectation that we COULD beat DB? Not trying to cause an uproar or start an argument. Really curious to hear peoples' answers.

But honestly, unless GC decides to run an actual offense and get everyone involved, they don't have a shot at a state title. Prob win Region D, but no way that team last night can beat Radford or DR or the best of Region C with that style of play.

Union has eight players, their All Region player is out for the year, the two best players are a soph (Rasnic) and a freshman (Jones) and only lost by 15 at GC. 

maybe getting the injured kid back helps GC, but the team needs more balance and needs to play better defense if they wanna make a deep run.

1 hour ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

I’m fairly certain the gentleman you are referencing is a college (NAIA) official. He’s regarded as one of the premier officials in the area.

If that's the case, it's a sad statement about the officiating around here. I know he used to call UVAW games until a decision was made and he didn't call them any more. Take that however you want.

Ask anyone there, the officiating last night was terrible both ways.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, BigWinners said:

But honestly, unless GC decides to run an actual offense and get everyone involved, they don't have a shot at a state title. Prob win Region D, but no way that team last night can beat Radford or DR or the best of Region C with that style of play.

Union has eight players, their All Region player is out for the year, the two best players are a soph (Rasnic) and a freshman (Jones) and only lost by 15 at GC. 

maybe getting the injured kid back helps GC, but the team needs more balance and needs to play better defense if they wanna make a deep run.

100% agree.

We still have plenty of time to sort things out, but we have to start running some sort of offense on a consistent basis, get more kids involved in scoring earlier in the game, and play a little smarter.....or it will be an early playoff exit for us this year.

I don't see how Radford cannot win the AA Championship. Granted they could have a couple of injuries or have a terribly "off" night, but they are without a doubt the team to beat.

4 hours ago, Great City said:

100% agree.

We still have plenty of time to sort things out, but we have to start running some sort of offense on a consistent basis, get more kids involved in scoring earlier in the game, and play a little smarter.....or it will be an early playoff exit for us this year.

I don't see how Radford cannot win the AA Championship. Granted they could have a couple of injuries or have a terribly "off" night, but they are without a doubt the team to beat.

agree on both statements. 

Radford not winning a title would be an absolute shock. They seem so much better than everyone else. I've heard East Rock is good, but we heard the same in football season. I'll have to see it to believe they can compete with big dogs like Radford, Dan River, Martinsville, etc.... QMR and Ervin (and maybe the young kid from ER) are the best in 2A seems like but Radford has way more balanced offense and we know they play defense and win big games.

Dean and Ervin are both outstanding individual talents, Ervin hit some shots that NO one should make, six arms in his face and fading away, etc... but you can slow GC down by throwin everything you can at Ervin while having a long, physical defender attempt to slow down Dean. Not quite a triangle and two, more of an inverted triangle and two with having only one big down low and the other two wings going at Ervin every touch.  If GC shows they can move the ball, hit wide open guys near the basket and allow them to score, they could be a tough out. But the junk offense GC ran v. Union won't do it. 

another thing is the defense. What happened to the GC pressure? I understand protecting Ervin from foul trouble and Dean is a good individual defender but the press, the aggressive GC defense just isn't there any more. Union had way too many open shots for a great team. McClung sometimes cherry picked and would give way at times to avoid fouls but when he had to, he was a GREAT individual defender. Can Ervin, who is bigger but not quite as quick or athletic, be that guy? McClung had Ervin (and more importantly Dean) covering his defense. GC hasn't replaced that. They're trying to hide Ervin at times but with just Dean being elite defensively and having to avoid fouls, GC allows way too many open shots and offensive rebounds. 

On 1/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, BigWinners said:

agree on both statements. 

Radford not winning a title would be an absolute shock. They seem so much better than everyone else. I've heard East Rock is good, but we heard the same in football season. I'll have to see it to believe they can compete with big dogs like Radford, Dan River, Martinsville, etc.... QMR and Ervin (and maybe the young kid from ER) are the best in 2A seems like but Radford has way more balanced offense and we know they play defense and win big games.

Dean and Ervin are both outstanding individual talents, Ervin hit some shots that NO one should make, six arms in his face and fading away, etc... but you can slow GC down by throwin everything you can at Ervin while having a long, physical defender attempt to slow down Dean. Not quite a triangle and two, more of an inverted triangle and two with having only one big down low and the other two wings going at Ervin every touch.  If GC shows they can move the ball, hit wide open guys near the basket and allow them to score, they could be a tough out. But the junk offense GC ran v. Union won't do it. 

another thing is the defense. What happened to the GC pressure? I understand protecting Ervin from foul trouble and Dean is a good individual defender but the press, the aggressive GC defense just isn't there any more. Union had way too many open shots for a great team. McClung sometimes cherry picked and would give way at times to avoid fouls but when he had to, he was a GREAT individual defender. Can Ervin, who is bigger but not quite as quick or athletic, be that guy? McClung had Ervin (and more importantly Dean) covering his defense. GC hasn't replaced that. They're trying to hide Ervin at times but with just Dean being elite defensively and having to avoid fouls, GC allows way too many open shots and offensive rebounds. 

The best player from ER is not the freshman. Senior Dalton Jefferson is the man. Both are 6’6 and both can shoot, post and rebound. But Jefferson is the leader. However, they have been lead in scoring by 5 different guys this year. They are good and should make it out of Region B. But being the new kid on the block against the old guard is a distinct disadvantage, see football. I believe they have the talent to make the final four but maybe lack the experience to win it all. 

5 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

The best player from ER is not the freshman. Senior Dalton Jefferson is the man. Both are 6’6 and both can shoot, post and rebound. But Jefferson is the leader. However, they have been lead in scoring by 5 different guys this year. They are good and should make it out of Region B. But being the new kid on the block against the old guard is a distinct disadvantage, see football. I believe they have the talent to make the final four but maybe lack the experience to win it all. 

Who has the frosh guard that scored like 43 earlier this year?

His name is Tyler Nickell. Just turned 15. 6’6, 210 lbs.  Has scored 30+ 5 times this year. He’s a matchup nightmare. Can play with his back to the basket but is shooting almost 50% from the three point line. I doubt he plays all 4 years at ER. Probably end up in a private school somewhere. Already getting a lot of attention from multiple colleges. WVU, GMU, URI and JMU were in attendance at the last home game. He didn’t handle the very physical play in Mussleman, WV so well the other night. Seemed a bit surprised at all the contact allowed. 

2 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

His name is Tyler Nickell. Just turned 15. 6’6, 210 lbs.  Has scored 30+ 5 times this year. He’s a matchup nightmare. Can play with his back to the basket but is shooting almost 50% from the three point line. I doubt he plays all 4 years at ER. Probably end up in a private school somewhere. Already getting a lot of attention from multiple colleges. WVU, GMU, URI and JMU were in attendance at the last home game. He didn’t handle the very physical play in Mussleman, WV so well the other night. Seemed a bit surprised at all the contact allowed. 

That's who I was referring.

• 2 months later...

Tim Hayes @Hayes_BHCSports

Tim Hayes Retweeted Jesse Smithey

The 2018 @ArbysClassic champs are the 2019 #TSSAA Class AAA state champs. Tennessee High graduates Jacob Morton and Tyler Place are on the Bulldogs coaching staff.

Jesse Smithey @5StarPreps

Final: Bearden 83, Memphis East 68   Congrats @BeardenHoops

great state

• 2 weeks later...