Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Real Sasquatch

Radford vs Graham?

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, GMan said:

From my personal experience, a football coach can not coach baseball (Graham High School 1984 baseball season)...

So one season does it for you?

Giles had a basketball player and basketball coach win 4 state titles in FOOTBALL(1978-2007)...so it can be done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, futbolking said:

Cant argue with that one.  A football coach, coaching baseball inspired me to quit playing baseball.

I believe y'all. But...that's one experience with one coach...to blanket ALL coaches and say that they can't coach another sport just seems off to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 1:05 AM, Ryan4VT said:

I believe y'all. But...that's one experience with one coach...to blanket ALL coaches and say that they can't coach another sport just seems off to me.

OK, then.  A soccer coach who has never coached basketball before as a head coach...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to drop some more knowledge for you...

Graham will go 16-6 (pending all games being played), undefeated in the SWD and will get blown out by the first team they play from the M7D...finish the season at 16-7...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think 16-7 is that bad for a team that lost 2 ridiculously underrated players. Graham just don't have the experienced bigs under the basket to be a real threat this year.  Dalton (inside) and Martin (all over the floor) where very good basketball players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2019 at 10:09 AM, GMan said:

Going to drop some more knowledge for you...

Graham will go 16-6 (pending all games being played), undefeated in the SWD and will get blown out by the first team they play from the M7D...finish the season at 16-7...

All I can speak for is GC.....GC would NOT blow Graham out.  I can all but guarantee you that.  The Devils are looking pretty putrid these days. All ya gotta do is double and triple team Zac and Bradley. No one else on the team looks to score.  You can guard the other 3 GC players with 1 defender.  It's pretty sad really.   

I think expectations are set a little too high after the teams GC and Graham had last year.  Those type of teams dont come around often. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RiverRat24 said:

All I can speak for is GC.....GC would NOT blow Graham out.  I can all but guarantee you that.  The Devils are looking pretty putrid these days. All ya gotta do is double and triple team Zac and Bradley. No one else on the team looks to score.  You can guard the other 3 GC players with 1 defender.  It's pretty sad really.   

I think expectations are set a little too high after the teams GC and Graham had last year.  Those type of teams dont come around often. 

 

Please.  Everyone knows GC is the best team in the region and it isn't close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, GMan said:

Please.  Everyone knows GC is the best team in the region and it isn't close. 

I agree with that statement.  GC is hands down the best team in Region D.  Unfortunately, that isn't saying much this season.  A bad night for GC will still probably result in a double digit win until they get out of the region.  I still think Graham would give them a good game if they were to meet in the region finals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hokie101 said:

I agree with that statement.  GC is hands down the best team in Region D.  Unfortunately, that isn't saying much this season.  A bad night for GC will still probably result in a double digit win until they get out of the region.  I still think Graham would give them a good game if they were to meet in the region finals.  

If I were coaching, I would put my best individual defender on Dean, and trap Ervin every single possession, multiple times per possession.  Make Ervin see that trap in his dreams, and make Dean beat your #1 defender to get his.  Easier said than done, especially in a system built ok help defense, but a team that executed on defense like this consistently during the course of a game will defeat Gate City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

If I were coaching, I would put my best individual defender on Dean, and trap Ervin every single possession, multiple times per possession.  Make Ervin see that trap in his dreams, and make Dean beat your #1 defender to get his.  Easier said than done, especially in a system built ok help defense, but a team that executed on defense like this consistently during the course of a game will defeat Gate City.

And If I were coaching Gate City I'd run Dean off a million screens to get really good looks since he's being guarded by 1 person. If he misses I've got 3 players rebounding against 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

If I were coaching, I would put my best individual defender on Dean, and trap Ervin every single possession, multiple times per possession.  Make Ervin see that trap in his dreams, and make Dean beat your #1 defender to get his.  Easier said than done, especially in a system built ok help defense, but a team that executed on defense like this consistently during the course of a game will defeat Gate City.

Exactly what Union did last night. Lost by 15 but were close throughout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sad part is the M7 had the makings to  be very solid this year.  3 teams were going to be very stout.....then McAmis went out for Central and then Slagle went out for Union.  Would have been very interesting had those players not been hurt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RiverRat24 said:

The sad part is the M7 had the makings to  be very solid this year.  3 teams were going to be very stout.....then McAmis went out for Central and then Slagle went out for Union.  Would have been very interesting had those players not been hurt.  

Absolutely. That's two All Region D players who got hurt. Such a shame, Wes losing two full seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GMan said:

And the truth of the matter is, there is some shitty basketball being played in SWVA this year...fact...might be, top to bottom, worst year I've ever seen...

Graham is still working out some kinks. Definitely helped having Meadows boy being able to play, they beat Grayson handily but it wasn't an impressive game on their part. I think they'll continue to improve though but they're really missing Martin & Dalton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2019 at 10:06 AM, GMan said:

OK, then.  A soccer coach who has never coached basketball before as a head coach...

Here is the "soccer coach" mentality carrying over into his basketball coaching...(from the BDT)...

Quote

Princeton, which had beaten Liberty in the NRCC shootout and faced Tazewell previously this week, rode the legs of starting five Chiron Cannady, Drew Hopkins, Fix and Brayden Quesenberry for the entire first half. The Tigers didn’t go to its bench until the third quarter.

Just like they do in soccer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GMan said:

Here is the "soccer coach" mentality carrying over into his basketball coaching...(from the BDT)...

Just like they do in soccer...

That's not apples to apples. 

You don't sub in soccer in the first half because you only get 3 the entire game. 

 

That sounds like a coach that was too stubborn for his own good. I highly doubt his soccer coaching made him decide that lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

That's not apples to apples. 

You don't sub in soccer in the first half because you only get 3 the entire game. 

 

That sounds like a coach that was too stubborn for his own good. I highly doubt his soccer coaching made him decide that lol.

Sure it did, that's all he knows...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×