Pulisic to Chelsea

Ryan4VT

Christian Pulisic has been signed by Chelsea for a record American player fee of $73 million on a 5.5 year deal. 

The previous record for an American player was $22 million, for reference. 

As a HUGE Chelsea fan and a HUGE USMNT fan, this is truly heaven. 

Like if Vick was drafted to the Colts for me. 

Cannot wait to see him this fall in the Blue. 

On 1/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Christian Pulisic has been signed by Chelsea for a record American player fee of $73 million on a 5.5 year deal. 

The previous record for an American player was $22 million, for reference. 

As a HUGE Chelsea fan and a HUGE USMNT fan, this is truly heaven. 

Like if Vick was drafted to the Colts for me. 

Cannot wait to see him this fall in the Blue. 

This past summer I was very confident that Pulisic would be coming to Anfield.  Although I'll admit to being disappointed -- particularly knowing that the Reds will have to see him twice a year in Chelsea blues -- Shaqiri has proven to be a great (and economical) addition to the lineup and we may have the opportunity to duplicate that somewhat with Fekir.

Timing of the announcement coupled with loss to City also makes for a bad couple of days.  Still cautiously optimistic that this is our year, but I do think the EPL race will ultimately be tight down the stretch.  If Liverpool stumbles against the bottom of the table (as the Reds have been prone to do) the next few weeks, that would certainly make things a lot more interesting overall.

That said, I agree completely that this is a great thing overall for American soccer and I'm glad to see Pulisic receive this kind of personal recognition and reward.

5 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

This past summer I was very confident that Pulisic would be coming to Anfield.  Although I'll admit to being disappointed -- particularly knowing that the Reds will have to see him twice a year in Chelsea blues -- Shaqiri has proven to be a great (and economical) addition to the lineup and we may have the opportunity to duplicate that somewhat with Fekir.

Timing of the announcement coupled with loss to City also makes for a bad couple of days.  Still cautiously optimistic that this is our year, but I do think the EPL race will ultimately be tight down the stretch.  If Liverpool stumbles against the bottom of the table (as the Reds have been prone to do) the next few weeks, that would certainly make things a lot more interesting overall.

That said, I agree completely that this is a great thing overall for American soccer and I'm glad to see Pulisic receive this kind of personal recognition and reward.

Don't be too disappointed. Chelsea overpaid by a lot and he wouldn't crack the top 5 for Liverpool with Mane, Salah, Fimino,  Shaq, and Sturridge. I'm not sure that Pulisic will get that much playing time at Chelsea in the first 2 to 3 years of his contract unless Hazard makes the move to Spain or Italy. 

It is a plus for the USMNT but unless the head coach moves away from favoring MLS players they will continue to struggle. 

I really think you’re underselling Pulisic. He’s 20. He’s not even close to his prime and he’s already a household name around the world. 

He’s going to sell more jerseys for Chelsea than anyone not named Hazard. 

They knew what they were doing. 

Thousands and thousands of kids today will grow up wearing a Pulisic Chelsea jersey and that will help pave the way for the next generation of interest and superstars. 

18 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I really think you’re underselling Pulisic. He’s 20. He’s not even close to his prime and he’s already a household name around the world. 

Thousands and thousands of kids today will grow up wearing a Pulisic Chelsea jersey and that will help pave the way for the next generation of interest and superstars. 

I’m not underselling him. A majority of Premiere League followers would agree paying $70 million for a player who didn’t even start in the Bundesliga is way too much. Selling jerseys to Americans is great but that doesn’t make him a success in Europe. There is a stigma that Americans are overrated so I hope Pulisic does well but there will be a lot of pressure on him due to the significant wages Chelsea has committed to him as well as a target on his back from opposing teams.

20 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Well not in my household lol...I've never heard of him/her...this must be soccer...if so it would explain why I've never heard of this person lol

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Well not in my household lol...I've never heard of him/her...this must be soccer...if so it would explain why I've never heard of this person lol

Go buy yourself tickets to a USMNT friendly when they come back to Nashville or Charlotte or DC and treat yourself to the most American experience there is. 

37 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Go buy yourself tickets to a USMNT friendly when they come back to Nashville or Charlotte or DC and treat yourself to the most American experience there is. 

Sorry buddy but I wouldn't go to a soccer game/match or whatever they call it if I had a free ticket and it was played in my back yard

18 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Sorry buddy but I wouldn't go to a soccer game/match or whatever they call it if I had a free ticket and it was played in my back yard

You're missing out. Standing and singing with 50k other American fans pulling for America in a game is patriotism at it's finest. 

10 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

No thanks...would be bored during game...rather watch grass grow lol

You never know until you try. Being at an event live is an entirely new experience compared to the TV. 

59 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

You never know until you try. Being at an event live is an entirely new experience compared to the TV. 

Giles played for 2 state titles in a row in Radford and I didn't attend them...so I doubt I'll ever go watch that same sport with people I don't even know...Sorry.....to each their own...just my cup of tea.

I'll stick to football and basketball

This isn't in response to anyone or any other post (I'm a big "to each his own" kind of guy) but the pace of the game is one of the things that appeals to me most about soccer.  At the professional level, it's great to see highly skilled players plying their trade for at least 45 minutes straight without commercial interruption. The simultaneous competitions (including international play) also enhance my appreciation of the sport.

Haven't seen USMNT live yet, but live matches at the upper levels of soccer that I have attended have been a blast.

57 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Haven't seen USMNT live yet, but live matches at the upper levels of soccer that I have attended have been a blast.

Gold Cup is in the US this summer and if the USMNT makes the semi's, it's in Nashville. Get your tickets now and hope they make it, cause if they do, tickets will jump up exponentially. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2019 at 8:43 AM, RichlandsAlum said:

#$@&!!!!!  I liked things a lot more a few weeks ago when they were boring.  I think we will look back to yesterday as the exact point when Reds surrendered the title to City.