great coach left us today.

RCITYHOO

44 minutes ago, RCITYHOO said:

George Welsh passed today and will be missed by all UVA football fans forever. Can' talk Wahoo football without him and IMO he could have been 1 of the best coaches ever, considering what he did at Navy and UVA.

My wife and I met him once at a restaurant in Charlottesville.  He was a very classy gentleman! 

Rest in peace, sir!

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I’ve been amazed at the outpouring of Hokie condolences over George Welsh’s passing.  George did something at Virginia that hadn’t been done in 30 years: turn Virginia into not only a winner, but a unique program.  May he Rest In Peace.

RIP coach Welsh...no matter if you are a Hokie or Hoo you never want to see this...he was a good coach and seemed like a good guy as well.

Lived a long life...85 years is a long time. Prayers to his family and friends from this Hokie

George Welsh took Cavalier football from laughingstock to a number #1 ranking and national credibility.  UVA was a basketball school in a basketball conference, which featured a single football power (much like today).  In what I think was UVA's greatest win, Welsh and the Hoos shocked the nation with a win over an insanely talented Florida State team in '95.