M7 Boys Games Tonight (January 4)

Burrall’s Pearls

Wow!

Central survives a buzzer beater attempt at Lee.

GC struggles with Battle.

Union survives Abingdon.

i was at the Union game, Bears came out fast and then looked awful in their half court offense. Justin Falin cams off the bench and made some big offensive plays. 

I was really worried about this one, we have no depth and were playing our 3rd game of the week. A lot of shots hit the front of the rim, a sure sign of fatigue. 

AHS had chances late, they missed a wide open 3 that would’ve tied the game with about two minutes left. 

I think we’re in for a wild season in the league, GC is the class of the league but seem to be sleep walking, everyone else seems beatable on any given night. 

Gate City is in straight struggle mode. GC has a lot to fix. I’m confused as to why we don’t screen and move the ball. It’s just let Dean and Ervin go down, throw up a bad shot and hope it falls. But the yang to ying is we gotta have the other 3 guys on the court wanting to score themselves. GC was lucky to turn tonight’s game after a foul on a 3-pointer from Dean at the buzzer to end the 3rd then made all 3 shots to tie it. It was enough to take the wind out of Battle’s fans and players. If that doesn’t happen, GC would’ve lost tonight. 

GC boys run ZERO offense. Its run around and chuck a shot up.  No one looks for the ball at all....its all Zac and Brad dribbling around.  And why Coach doesnt run a 2-3 zone on D is still mind blowing.  Battle eat GC alive with backdoor cuts, give and go, and pick and roll. Literally layup after layup right through the middle and GC made no changes.  Battle has no size at all and scored at will in the paint.  Going to zone and stuffing the paint full made too much sense. Would allow for everyone to be in position to rebound too....which also makes too much sense.  But im just a bleacher coach and probably dont know what I'm talking about.

5 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Union girls didn't play GC, they played Abingdon...  Abingdon defeated Union girls.  I've updated the schedules with what I could find.

Hes referring to 2 nights ago I think when Union came to GC.

7 hours ago, RiverRat24 said:

GC boys run ZERO offense. Its run around and chuck a shot up.  

That must be the new fad in high school basketball and it pains me to watch. Union falls into that far to often to be successful. They struggled shooting in the first half against Abingdon and it almost cost them the game. I’m not a fan of the 4 man weave, chuck up a 3 offense and hope it goes in. Finally in the 2nd half they had success in the paint and it opened up a few 3’s. I’m a firm believer in working inside out, it just seems like a lost art. 

11 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Union girls didn't play GC, they played Abingdon...  Abingdon defeated Union girls.  I've updated the schedules with what I could find.

I meant Abingdon, I saw the boys score but didn't see Bears Falcon girl score.

7 hours ago, GoBearsGo said:

That must be the new fad in high school basketball and it pains me to watch. Union falls into that far to often to be successful. They struggled shooting in the first half against Abingdon and it almost cost them the game. I’m not a fan of the 4 man weave, chuck up a 3 offense and hope it goes in. Finally in the 2nd half they had success in the paint and it opened up a few 3’s. I’m a firm believer in working inside out, it just seems like a lost art. 

I'm a firm believer in making a few extra passes to get a good open look and alot less dribbling.  GC has maybe 2 or 3 good possessions a game that makes you scratch your head and wonder where in the world that offense is the rest of the game.  However, I'm also aware with Brad and Zac that alot of their game revolves around the 3 ball.  It's like a blitz.....if that's what makes the wheels spin your gonna live and die by it.  Seemed like Union is dependent on the 3 ball alot as well.  

5 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Union is totally dependent on the 3 point shot. We got that way after Wes went out, given our depth we are going to struggle on weeks when we play more than two games.

Jones will attack some, Garrison at times too but I agree. 

16 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Union is totally dependent on the 3 point shot. We got that way after Wes went out, given our depth we are going to struggle on weeks when we play more than two games.

Giza and Falin especially are solid post players, Unions offense just takes that away. Several times against Abingdon those 2 had a guy on their back and we never even looked at them. 

I’m not sure I would label them as solid post players. Falin is an athlete and has the ability to step out and make a jumper, Giza is a big body that can rebound and score in close. If you’re expecting either one of those to score double digits nightly, you’re going to be disappointed. 

7 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

I’m not sure I would label them as solid post players. Falin is an athlete and has the ability to step out and make a jumper, Giza is a big body that can rebound and score in close. If you’re expecting either one of those to score double digits nightly, you’re going to be disappointed. 

You must be fairly new to Union basketball. 

5 hours ago, GoBearsGo said:

You must be fairly new to Union basketball. 

I'm not, and he's not 100% wrong. Giza is all effort and will give his all and is a good defender but he isn't a reliable scorer at all. 

Falin has been in Moore's doghouse for a while, I won't pretend to know why, but he is a good shooter and does his best offensive work facing the basket. I agree with you on Falin, but Giza is a glue guy, not a scorer. Which is totally fine, offense isn't a problem for Union even without Wes honestly. Jones, Rasnick and Garrison can all three score from the wing. Get a little three happy at times but all three can get to the rack and make plays or draw fouls so Giza being a great hustle defender and rebounder is desperately needed without Wes. Wes was such a complete player, it takes two or three kids to make up his absence, and part of that is Giza and Falin defending bigs and Jones taking more shots. Garrison and Rasnick were always good scorers and Noah has became a very good athlete with his length, but Jones will have to carry more of the load now offensively without Wes.

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I'm not, and he's not 100% wrong. Giza is all effort and will give his all and is a good defender but he isn't a reliable scorer at all. 

Falin has been in Moore's doghouse for a while, I won't pretend to know why, but he is a good shooter and does his best offensive work facing the basket. I agree with you on Falin, but Giza is a glue guy, not a scorer. Which is totally fine, offense isn't a problem for Union even without Wes honestly. Jones, Rasnick and Garrison can all three score from the wing. Get a little three happy at times but all three can get to the rack and make plays or draw fouls so Giza being a great hustle defender and rebounder is desperately needed without Wes. Wes was such a complete player, it takes two or three kids to make up his absence, and part of that is Giza and Falin defending bigs and Jones taking more shots. Garrison and Rasnick were always good scorers and Noah has became a very good athlete with his length, but Jones will have to carry more of the load now offensively without Wes.

I never said he was wrong and I agree with you almost to the letter. I’m not new either. It’s seemed like the last two seasons without Wes our staff can’t or won’t get the right combination of guys on the floor. 

1 hour ago, GoBearsGo said:

I never said he was wrong and I agree with you almost to the letter. I’m not new either. It’s seemed like the last two seasons without Wes our staff can’t or won’t get the right combination of guys on the floor. 

I can't say as much about the rotations, I don't go to as many games as I used to so I don't see the sub patterns or what combo works best. Moore has been a good hire compared to the previous regime (a staff that consistently did less with more than almost anyone) but there is times you wanna see him get a little more animated. At GC, I think he should have gotten a technical during one crucial stretch to really light a fire under his team, but I do respect his ability to run a consistent program that sees players improve. Players almost never get worse under Moore, only better. Not all coaches can make that claim. 

He's down to what, eight players now? And a couple are really young. So without Wes, winning games against good teams should be seen as an accomplishment if nothing else because it completely changes the offense. With Wes, you have your iso, your Duncan or Dirk, the player who touches the ball on every possession and rightfully so. Now, they have to rely on the guards to score the bulk of the points and Falin as the stretch big guy who can shoot. I think Falin should get the bulk of the minutes as their big and go with four shooters or three shooters and a defensive player like Jenkins (not the JV Jenkins), but Giza does some things better than Falin and I can see not wanting to have them both on the floor if you wanna go up tempo and play in the 80s (which is what Union should do IMO. Maybe not become totally reliant on the three, but create more transition opportunities that lead to open looks and get up and down with their athleticism and speed since they're without their offensive top option) but if you wanna play in the 50s, you could play more like Zach wants to play with a more methodical attack and have both Giza and Falin in the game. 

8 minutes ago, GoBearsGo said:

I’m buying what you’re selling. Can’t disagree with anything. I have my faults with Coach and his system but he seems to figure things out at the right time. 

Yeah he's not the perfect, John Wooden of SWVA or anything and I really do believe Union should try to play in the 70s to have the best shot at winning but Moore has done good things at Union. The biggest knock is he hasn't won big games and yeah that is kinda true. But under Moore, Union has always been in the top 3 or so in conference. But he does need to add some Region D wins to really get over the hump. He has had talent, but either ran into better teams (GC last couple years) or teams like Richlands beating a pretty good Union team a couple years ago when I thought Union was better.