Bluefield Beaver

Mountain Football

19 hours ago, GMan said:

Heard he passed away earlier today...very sad...

So sorry to hear this.  He has been in my prayers.  May his family find strength and peace at this time with the love and care of their community and God's presence.

When I was a junior at Bluefield High in 1979 we lost one of my friends and a great person at football practice. His name was Stanley Neal. Stanley started feeling poorly at practice and asked to get a drink of water. He was granted permission (which was not normal then) and collapsed at the water spigot. He died that night. He was just a Junior. His number 77 was the first jersey to ever be retired. Only the number 17 of Jay Sims has since been retired.

I want to personally thank all of you guys for your well wishes for our family. I know that Shelly and Slick and Uncle Ronnie and Aunt Ella greatly appreciate everything that the community has done and is doing to honor Tony. Please continue to keep the Blevins and Webster families in your thoughts. I can honestly say, that he is absolutely the best kid that I have ever been associated with. I may be a little bias but I have never in my life seen a kid that is always smiling, up-beat and as positive as Tony was. It definitely shows is how the communities of Mercer and Tazewell as well as surrounding counties have come together to honor such a wonderful young man. May he rest in peace and never be forgotten!!

The morning of the state championship game many people gathered behind the high school to show support for the team. Among them was Tony with his infectious smile. He made the trip to Salem to support Graham. After the game he was on the field living it up with his friends celebrating the Graham win. Had he not been wearing a Beaver jacket one would have thought he was a Graham Gman like everyone else. When Graham played at Giles this year, there he was supporting Graham again. I hope Bluefield will retire the #5 in his honor. 

Whoever the fortunate person is that received his heart, you got yourself a heart of a champion.