Lee High School

Weatherman

Word has it the Lee County School Board is ready to split Lee High School into 2 new high schools (Pennington and Jonesville), and make Lee HS a middle school.  Do they need VHSL approval to do this?

Any body have any insight on this?

I heard about it last night, saying their thinking is they will get more state money to do so.  I cant imagine that is true unless some new legislation is enacted.  The crazy part is they were ready to tear down JMS and PMS last year if they could get the money to build new middle schools.  I do wish the old Cumberland could somewhat be reborn with Jonesville and Pennington being added but I just dont see this flying.

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but what is the downfall or negatives if (big if) hey can get more money from the state? Also, why is there the thought of splitting into two High Schools? I'm assuming (only assuming and that's dangerous) that there is some kind of financial benefit if they are talking about splitting?

Last of all, call the one middle school Flatwoods Middle. If your bringing back PG and Jonesville, might as well give ole Flatwoods a shout out. As for Dryden and Keokee, well....it is what it is. P.S. I know about Dryden and Keokee and PG and Jonesville, but where was Flatwoods High located? Rose Hill, St. Charles, Jonesville, etc? 

Also, of Keokee, Dryden, and Flatwoods, which ones formed Jonesville and P. Gap High or where did these three consolidate into?

Why not adjust the lines; more students go to TWHS. That would boost TWs numbers and drop Lee to div 1 AA. Seems pretty reasonable and much more cost effective. 

You are correct Weatherman, could they possibly swing having two schools in 1D between TW and Lee? Or is Lee just too big; haven’t seen the latest enrollment numbers.

1. Lee High School has had significant plumbing / leakage issues since it was built ( in 88 - 89?). The lowere level athletic locker rooms & offices have flooded for years and made the central stairway of the school smell like an open sewer. The eventual issue that lead to the total destruction of the gym floor has been an issue for YEARS. 

2. There were about as many kids at Pennington High in 88 as there are kids at Lee High in 9-12. Since they moved the 8th grades onto the high school campus JMS & PMS should be near empty, as they are housing 6-7 grades only. 

3. There are no physical school buildings between PMS & JMS (Other than the high school). Elk Knob Elementary is just outside Pennington; Flatwoods is about 15 minutes past Jonesville. The St. Charles building is unusable. Sticklyville seems to be in good shape, but it might as well be in Scott County.

5 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but what is the downfall or negatives if (big if) hey can get more money from the state? Also, why is there the thought of splitting into two High Schools? I'm assuming (only assuming and that's dangerous) that there is some kind of financial benefit if they are talking about splitting?

Last of all, call the one middle school Flatwoods Middle. If your bringing back PG and Jonesville, might as well give ole Flatwoods a shout out. As for Dryden and Keokee, well....it is what it is. P.S. I know about Dryden and Keokee and PG and Jonesville, but where was Flatwoods High located? Rose Hill, St. Charles, Jonesville, etc? 

Also, of Keokee, Dryden, and Flatwoods, which ones formed Jonesville and P. Gap High or where did these three consolidate into?

Flatwoods was very close to Jonesville.  The old HS now, elementary school is located not far from the airport. 

Before Lee's consolidation, Keokee, Dryden, Flatwoods, Jonesville and Pennington were all HS.

There is nothing wrong with them getting more money if they can, but Id be surprised if they can when they arent creating more students in the process, or buildings.  If they do, will it be enough to properly offset additional costs associated of restoring things for each HS properly.   Also, many school buildings in Lee are in deep need of refurbishment or replacement.  They have put theirselves in a bind much like Wise County of was in IMO.

15 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

1. Lee High School has had significant plumbing / leakage issues since it was built ( in 88 - 89?). The lowere level athletic locker rooms & offices have flooded for years and made the central stairway of the school smell like an open sewer. The eventual issue that lead to the total destruction of the gym floor has been an issue for YEARS. 

2. There were about as many kids at Pennington High in 88 as there are kids at Lee High in 9-12. Since they moved the 8th grades onto the high school campus JMS & PMS should be near empty, as they are housing 6-7 grades only. 

3. There are no physical school buildings between PMS & JMS (Other than the high school). Elk Knob Elementary is just outside Pennington; Flatwoods is about 15 minutes past Jonesville. The St. Charles building is unusable. Sticklyville seems to be in good shape, but it might as well be in Scott County.

PMS and JMS also hold 5th grade now as well.

10 hours ago, 44cov3 said:

You are correct Weatherman, could they possibly swing having two schools in 1D between TW and Lee? Or is Lee just too big; haven’t seen the latest enrollment numbers.

Lee 666

Tw 252 9-12 (around 310 with 8th grade)

As on march 2018

Comes out to be 460 ish in both.

1 hour ago, TwhscoachT said:

Lee 666

Tw 252 9-12 (around 310 with 8th grade)

As on march 2018

Comes out to be 460 ish in both.

With an enrollment of 666 it isn't any wonder Lee High is cursed, there is no way in the world I would have turned in that ADM number. 

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

Who would like to bet that this situation is botched in the worst way possible? 

I don't have a horse in this race and can only offer opinion, but if the school board and the people want this then they should do it..Lee High ain't working. This has been a mess for years and a prime example of sometimes things that never sort themselves out some times old never heal..I wish Lee the best in whatever they decide to do, but once you go back it will be set in stone and it would be nice to have Pennington and Jonesville back, they still hate each other anyway! maybe they could undo the Union merger and have Appy and PV back! LOL!

3 hours ago, SXSW said:

I don't have a horse in this race and can only offer opinion, but if the school board and the people want this then they should do it..Lee High ain't working. This has been a mess for years and a prime example of sometimes things that never sort themselves out some times old never heal..I wish Lee the best in whatever they decide to do, but once you go back it will be set in stone and it would be nice to have Pennington and Jonesville back, they still hate each other anyway! maybe they could undo the Union merger and have Appy and PV back! LOL!

NO! I'm hoping Union will get fat by gobbling up some more Lee kids. haha

As if the "arming teachers with guns" issue wasn't enough....and we could add the county's hospital deal with Americore if we want to I guess....now there's this.  Most I've heard from aren't in favor of this.  It's almost like they don't care how bad the idea is, just as long as it gets them noticed.  I would say that this school board will be shaken up come election time, but given that very few will actually run for any position here...yeah, who knows really.

17 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

NO! I'm hoping Union will get fat by gobbling up some more Lee kids. haha

What percentage of Union's football team is from Lee County?

3 minutes ago, SXSW said:

What percentage of Union's football team is from Lee County?

Not enough! Lol

If we're talking about actual transfers (kids that were enrolled in Lee High at some point), a couple over the last few years. If you're talking about kids that live within Lee Co boundaries and have attended PV/Union over the years, lots. The section of 23 between BSG and Duffield and the section of 58 between BSG and Dryden have a lot of kids that attend or have attended PV/Union because of the close proximity. Less than 10 minutes to BSG or 30-60 to Rye Cove or Lee High.