Challenger explosion

Mr. Dowling was the Assistant Principal, coached the basketball team and taught social studies and civics at the small school I went to in Fries.  I had him every year from 5th grade through the beginning of high school.  @Optimal62also had Mr. Dowling for many years so, he may be able to shed some light as well.  I won't get all the details correct but I will do my best.  I was between 11 and 14 years old when this happened.  

He was one of a dozen or so finalists to be the teacher on board the Challenger.  Obviously, he didn't win the competition but he did get some perks after some understandable delay given the tragedy.  As a finalist, he got to represent the US at the Moscow Summit with president Reagan and the other finalists.  A quick Google search suggests the Moscow Summit was in May 1988 following the Challenger disaster.  I don't know if it was postponed because of Challenger.  I would think it would have been more political than anything else.  As a precocious kid, I was certain Mr. Dowling would never return from the evil Soviet Union.  I just knew he would die in a Siberian gulag.  He did return to share his memories, pictures and souvenirs with his students. 

He wasn't the most popular teacher mainly because he was tough and held his students accountable.  He had expectations of us and was unrelenting in holding us to those expectations.  We meet at the library occasionally.  I will have to direct him to this thread next time I see him.