Old System vs New System

Gridiron60

I am nominating this post for post of the year!  VHSL has basically decided to hand out participation trophies by letting these teams make the playoffs, just so they can make a few extra dollars! I am not knocking any teams, but no way should a team under .500 be in the playoffs competing for a Region D championship or a chance at a State championship.

48 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I agree...Giles is a pathetic 3-18 and have no business in playoffs...total joke of a system but it's all about money like every other playoff system the dumbass VHSL has

Graham’s girls had 1 regular season win, but won 2 tournament games (opening round and 3rd place game), and are now in regional playoffs.  I’m happy for them to have finished their season so strong, and they play very hard, but it’s hard to justify a regional format that allows a team to win 2 random games and advance.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham’s girls had 1 regular season win, but won 2 tournament games (opening round and 3rd place game), and are now in regional playoffs.  I’m happy for them to have finished their season so strong, and they play very hard, but it’s hard to justify a regional format that allows a team to win 2 random games and advance.

Agree....it's a total joke

Every school in WV that plays basketball makes the tournament.  Sectionals battle it out with winners going to region, region winners and runner-ups make it to the final 8 in Charleston.  VA has pretty much taken that path for postseason basketball. 

On 2/16/2019 at 5:14 PM, UVAObserver said:

On a side note, I will be glad to take a 3 win Graham team in opening round of Region.  🙂

1 hour ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

I wish VA would do it like KY just one year and see how it works.

So Host a tournament mid year that can be considered a state title by All "A" schools but wait you still play.

Then allow other schools in 2a host another tournament that is considered a state title call the All "AA" tournament, because they are left out of the All "A."

Then have a end of the year tournament that Has EVERY TEAM start in their geographically bracket no matter the classification or record play. (Jenkins made it) (Harlan vs Harlan County as an example.)

Then based on history only one school with enrollment of 700 has advanced to the finals since 2000 and only that team has ever won it. (2010 Shelby Valley)(Harlan County had 2 P5 girls players Last year and lost in the opening round by a large margin)

EKY pushed for a 2a Tournament just to get out of the mess that is the Sweet sixteen, It would not shock me if the sweet sixteen is dismantled when the all "AAA" is created and it coming. 

Why not pair the state champions at the end of the season in a 6 team bracket and settle it that way. 

1 hour ago, TwhscoachT said:

So Host a tournament mid year that can be considered a state title by All "A" schools but wait you still play.

Then allow other schools in 2a host another tournament that is considered a state title call the All "AA" tournament, because they are left out of the All "A."

Then have a end of the year tournament that Has EVERY TEAM start in their geographically bracket no matter the classification or record play. (Jenkins made it) (Harlan vs Harlan County as an example.)

Then based on history only one school with enrollment of 700 has advanced to the finals since 2000 and only that team has ever won it. (2010 Shelby Valley)(Harlan County had 2 P5 girls players Last year and lost in the opening round by a large margin)

EKY pushed for a 2a Tournament just to get out of the mess that is the Sweet sixteen, It would not shock me if the sweet sixteen is dismantled when the all "AAA" is created and it coming. 

Why not pair the state champions at the end of the season in a 6 team bracket and settle it that way. 

It will never happen. The VHSL would have to overhaul the whole system and it would be a utter mess in all likely. But, It be interesting to see how it all would play out.

14 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

On a side note, I will be glad to take a 3 win Graham team in opening round of Region.  🙂

I’m sure you will.  🤣

Graham’s got a solid head coach.  That squad is just VERRRRRRY young, thanks to the pipeline more or less being dry the last few years.  Those players come virtually as blank slates, and accordingly, that talent which is being developed is being developed somewhat on the fly.  Getting 3 wins out of that group, 1 of which was do-or-die, is a very good job all things considered.  

To channel my inner Jim Mora, people really don’t know if it’s good or bad most of the time.  3 wins for this Graham team is really pretty good.  3 wins in Mike Williams’s last season was terrible.  It’s a matter of perspective and scale, which some folks in Scott County would be wise to consider.

With only 3 districts in Region D, the league decided to go with three teams from each district. This decision was more of a logistical one than anything. It could have went with two teams from each district, but with only six teams the bracket doesn't work as well as an 8 team bracket. 

With that being said, I have attended many of these meetings and with the layout of our state, it is almost impossible to work everything out to be identical. This is why the state allows the Regions to develop their own format. The issue with too many teams getting in, is not a VHSL mandated problem, it is a Regional decision that permits this to happen.

All the VHSL is looking for is 8 teams to complete the state bracket, how the regions get to those 8 teams is up to the region.

6 teams is better than 9 IMO but its not a huge deal.  Last year I was thankful for 9 because of an upset in the district tourney my alma mater was able to stay alive and made a run to the state quarters.  Have a host district each year and that district has both teams in the opening round with the district champs getting the bye and its pretty clean and no satellite games.  Nothing is perfect though of course.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:52 PM, Gridiron60 said:

Opinions may differ but I like the old system when the regular season winner and tournament winner advanced. I'm not downing any teams in particular but some have no business being in regionals. 

I agree with you Gridiron60, and I guess i’m used to that way cause that’s how it was when I played. But the VHSL is worried more about getting the money from these games.

6 hours ago, UK_Baseball said:

I agree with you Gridiron60, and I guess i’m used to that way cause that’s how it was when I played. But the VHSL is worried more about getting the money from these games.

You guys want an old system?

Let's just bring back the old Southwest District.

Marion

Graham

John Battle

Tazewell

Lebanon

Virginia High

Lee

Union

Central

Ridgeview

Gate City

Richlands

Abingdon

We will play each team one time during the year.  Home one year  and on the road the next year.

We will all have 9 non district games of our choice. 

Top eight teams off of points from regular season and tournament advance to the Region D tourney with top 4 seeds hosting.  Top three teams get a bye to the Southwest District Tourney quarterfinals. 

This way you dont play teams three and four times a year but if you were play each other it will really mean something huge because that third time it's for something really big say a trip to the state tourney. 

Tourney sites would be:

UVA Wise

Virginia High

Marion

Lebanon

In football just play a round robin every year like they do in the ACC or SEC.  Play 7 district games a year and 3 non district.  Top 8 make the Region D Class 2 playoffs and then just go with it. Even with this set up you are not even guaranteed to play someone twice either. 

How do you like that for old school?

Every team wanting to play in post-season action should send a player of their choosing to fight a rabid animal in a cage.

If the player wins, they will be granted access to the playoffs. 

If they lose, they must change their gender.