Baseball getting started

The_Professor

VA HIGH lost 2 full time starters, which 1 was as a pitcher from last season.  They return 7 field starters, and entire pitching staff outside of Griffith.  Will be very strong offensively and defensively this season.  With the return of Aaron Rose at catcher, who didn't play last season, the offensive order has speed and power!  Seven of the front line players have 3-4 years starting varsity experience.  Depth will be an issue if there are injuries!  

9 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

VA HIGH lost 2 full time starters, which 1 was as a pitcher from last season.  They return 7 field starters, and entire pitching staff outside of Griffith.  Will be very strong offensively and defensively this season.  With the return of Aaron Rose at catcher, who didn't play last season, the offensive order has speed and power!  Seven of the front line players have 3-4 years starting varsity experience.  Depth will be an issue if there are injuries!  

I’d make my annual prediction but every time I foresee the future on this site, I piss a coach off in one sport or the other (and I’m not talking about VHS coaches lol)😉

Anybody got any insight on Union? Rumors going around that losing to anybody other than Abingdon in the conference would be a disappointment? 

Know a few of the kids playing for them and they are good athletes but will they be that much better than everyone else?

Central returns 3 strong arms on the mound, and the infield will be strong. Replacing Stallard is a big task behind the plate but I believe Stanley will step in and do just fine.  Does anyone know if Lester is playing baseball? He could be a big help in the outfield and on the base paths with his speed! 

What does Ridgeview and Lee High have, and what are everyone's thoughts on how the conference standings will end up?

On 2/26/2019 at 10:11 PM, #BBN said:

Anybody got any insight on Union? Rumors going around that losing to anybody other than Abingdon in the conference would be a disappointment? 

Know a few of the kids playing for them and they are good athletes but will they be that much better than everyone else?

Central returns 3 strong arms on the mound, and the infield will be strong. Replacing Stallard is a big task behind the plate but I believe Stanley will step in and do just fine.  Does anyone know if Lester is playing baseball? He could be a big help in the outfield and on the base paths with his speed! 

What does Ridgeview and Lee High have, and what are everyone's thoughts on how the conference standings will end up?

union will be really good. they return everybody from last year and have added a transfer from lee. the pitching depth will be the strong part of this team. add the new coach who is top notch and i think they challenge for district title. this is my opinion but on paper they are solid at every position defensiveley and offensively 1thru 12. the scrimmage saturday is at grace christian academy in knoxville

On 2/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, UK_Baseball said:

I know Central and Va High are set to scrimmage this Saturday if the weather will cooperate....but doesn’t look promising 

This scrimmage has been cancelled or postponed. Hopefully it will be made up because I’m interested to see what Wise has this season. They played the Bearcats tough in the playoffs last year.

27 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

This scrimmage has been cancelled or postponed. Hopefully it will be made up because I’m interested to see what Wise has this season. They played the Bearcats tough in the playoffs last year.

I talked to some of the players from Central and they are still saying that the game is on for this weekend, and they actually said that they were playing 2 games that day one was at noon vs. Va High and then at 4pm but didn't know who that was against

10 hours ago, UK_Baseball said:

I talked to some of the players from Central and they are still saying that the game is on for this weekend, and they actually said that they were playing 2 games that day one was at noon vs. Va High and then at 4pm but didn't know who that was against

My son came home from practice last night and said that his coaches told him that they won’t be playing Saturday. 

With it just being a scrimmage, I guess the coaches can go back and forth on whether or not they want to play, a little easier, than a real game. 

I just know that as of yesterday evening, VHS players were told that it wasn’t going to happen, at least this Saturday. That very well could change though. 

The way things are looking today though, Mother Nature isn’t going to cooperate.

Scrimmage between Central and Floyd Co. was a long and cold one. But Coach Salyers used it to see what talent he has and where he can play kids. He moved kids around all day playing them at different positions.

As far as the Pitchers for Central they came out and threw the ball well.

Collins seen a inning of work and had a couple of strikeouts. Brickey also seen a inning of work and 1-2 strikeouts but showed good control

Bishop pitched 2 innings and had good control and velocity and ended up with 4 strikeouts. 

Now for Central at the plate they put the ball in play at times but also looked at a lot of pitches too, but it’s early though. When Central had runners on base they were moving and it looks like they will have a ton of speed and will look to use that as a way to produce runs this year.

Now as for Floyd County, Va. They looked like they are a young team this year. But they  have  a couple of guys that can swing the bat very well and they play solid defense as well.  Like to wish them well on their Season.

Baseball is the most competitive sport in far SWVA on the male side. I expect that to continue this spring, our area has produced some really good players recently. It’s interesting to watch around here, many have adopted this launch angle philosophy which has led to great success for the better players and has led to complete failure for the others.

union scrimmaged grace christian academy saturday. grace was really good. had 3 pitchers with d1 offers. union pitched pretty good but the bats were silent. it was 7-0 in 10 inning game. i thought union looked pretty good on defense and the pitching was good. not a bad 1st scrimmage against a team likie that. i dont think union will see that kind of pitching in the mountain district. 

On 3/4/2019 at 10:25 PM, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Baseball is the most competitive sport in far SWVA on the male side. I expect that to continue this spring, our area has produced some really good players recently. It’s interesting to watch around here, many have adopted this launch angle philosophy which has led to great success for the better players and has led to complete failure for the others.

Launch angle is the absolute worst way for any high school kid to employ. Ask any coach outside of Longworth if it is useful for their team. Kids are not strong enough nor do they have the understanding of how it truly works. Harless, Hungate, Francisco, Cross from Tn high, some past and present of the regions most elite hitters don’t employ it and look where they are headed or where they are at now. 

It will create a home run evey once in a while. Mostly makes a weak ground ball on an outside pitch or a high fly ball for the outfield.  

On 3/1/2019 at 1:16 AM, Bearcat Dad said:

Was told the scrimmage is gonna be played at Va High on Monday March 11th

6 hours ago, UK_Baseball said:

Was told the scrimmage is gonna be played at Va High on Monday March 11th

Yeah, I was told the same thing. Hopefully Mother Nature will allow it to happen this time. VHS scrimmaged Grayson County on Thursday, and the field was in pretty good shape.

From what I’m hearing, this could be an early matchup between two of the top four teams in the region (not counting Abingdon, they will be in the mix during the regular season). It seems like it could be a good chance for both teams to get some good work in before the season gets going.

2 hours ago, The U Bear said:

i just hears that union is going to va high for a scrimmage on wednesday

That should be another opportunity for two good teams to get some work in together. I imagine that the Bears should be in the mix in the M7.