2019 MLB Thread

9 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I believe (and hope) that both Harper and the Phillies will live to regret this contract.

I feel pretty certain Harper will.  No fan-base in sports are as terrible as the ones in Philadelphia. 

On a splendid side note, Harper's contract will expire in 2031, at which point the Mets will still owe Bobby Bonilla 4 more years on his contract from 1998!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a Nats fan, I just don't see them winning the 2019 NL East (aka Anchorman street fight). The Braves are getting no love as the defending champs (seriously, a game below the Mets?).  Philly signed half an all-star team during the off-season and are slated at only 86 wins?

W       L     W%   RDif  RS/G  RA/G

Nationals    90    72    .553    82     4.68      4.17
Phillies       86    76    .529    45      4.62      4.35
Mets           84    78    .518    26      4.16      4.00
Braves        83    79    .515    24      4.53      4.38
Marlins       62    100    .384 -173    3.65       4.72

Source:FanGraphs (post Harper signing)

8 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

As a Nats fan, I just don't see them winning the 2019 NL East (aka Anchorman street fight). The Braves are getting no love as the defending champs (seriously, a game below the Mets?).  Philly signed half an all-star team during the off-season and are slated at only 86 wins?

W       L     W%   RDif  RS/G  RA/G

Nationals    90    72    .553    82     4.68      4.17
Phillies       86    76    .529    45      4.62      4.35
Mets           84    78    .518    26      4.16      4.00
Braves        83    79    .515    24      4.53      4.38
Marlins       62    100    .384 -173    3.65       4.72

Source:FanGraphs (post Harper signing)

Maybe it's just me but Philly has spent generational money the past two seasons on high-end free agents.  If 86 wins is all that money buys them, it would be poetic justice. 

Baseball needs some form of a salary cap and has for years.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:09 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

I believe (and hope) that both Harper and the Phillies will live to regret this contract.

Fellow Nats fan/sufferer here.  Overall I think Washington is better off without him -- but Philadelphia is the one landing spot where he has the greatest potential to do harm to our team.  Seems like Harper has always hit the ball well in Citizens Bank Park.  

My kids gathered up all the Harper-specific stuff they have for the garbage.  But I'm hanging on to it for a couple of days.  Thinking about mailing it in a package to him with a few bucks from the boys' allowance -- since he seems to be so hard up for cash and all.

9 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Fellow Nats fan/sufferer here.  Overall I think Washington is better off without him -- but Philadelphia is the one landing spot where he has the greatest potential to do harm to our team.  Seems like Harper has always hit the ball well in Citizens Bank Park.  

My kids gathered up all the Harper-specific stuff they have for the garbage.  But I'm hanging on to it for a couple of days.  Thinking about mailing it in a package to him with a few bucks from the boys' allowance -- since he seems to be so hard up for cash and all.

I concur that BH leaving is for the best. The CBP band box will be kind to his stats and he'll be a thorn for years to come. But if he stayed, the Nats would've likely lost Eaton, Rendon, et al. ensuring a decade of mediocrity.

I'm excited to see Soto and Robles join a healthy Eaton in the OF.  Dozier solidifies a talented infield. Corbin gives WSH the best top 3 in the MLB while Gomes and Suzuki fill a big hole behind the dish.  Rizzo's fielding a solid team AND getting back under the luxury threshold this season.

And yes, please send BH a few bucks.  $300m over 10 years just ain't what it used to be. Bryce needs record $.

7 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

The stats of two MLB players next to a perfectly engineered baseball cyborg.

Harper:     7.5 WAR
Machado: 16.1 WAR
Trout:        27.3 WAR

(2016, 17, & 18 seasons)

So, if Machado and Harper are worth $300 million plus, does that mean whoever signs Trout to his next deal will just sign the franchise over to him?  He would have to be worth a billion, right?

• 5 months later...

A few weeks ago, I was in a local grocery store picking up a few items...middle of the day...not many customers .  I'm pushing a cart and get to a middle aisle …  as I turn  up the aisle an employee  is  stocking a shelf and the aisle is down to one lane … there are three young men coming in the opposite direction toward me with the back guy pushing a cart.  The guy stocking is doing his 'thing'...so, I pull my cart back out and motion the young men to come on around the stocker as I'm just starting up the aisle...however, the young men motioned  for me to move forward up the aisle and I did.

THEN I noticed who these young men were...whoa...really, can it be...yes it was...some of the young BRAVES!!! I 'played' it cool...and nodded and thanked them as I walked by... they were  in street clothes but I KNEW who they were.    WE watch the BRAVES and there was no doubt who I just passed in the aisle.  (They had on tee shirts and shorts.) The two in front are starters for the team (hint,  A and A), I didn't really get a good look at the one pushing the cart but have an opinion on who it was... just goes to show you never know who you might run into in the aisle of a grocery store.   :)

• 1 month later...

.Who knew years ago, what would be in 2019...two Gwinnett County T-Ball teammates  in the   AL playoff game...

excerpt:

Gwinnett natives Austin Meadows and Matt Olson are key players for the Tampa Bay Rays and Oakland A's, respectively, in Wednesday's American League Wild-Card Game in Oakland. Meadows, above left in red circle, and Olson, above right in red circle, also are former tee-ball teammates with the Mountain Park Athletic Association.  T-ball PIC in below link...

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/gwinnett-grads-former-tee-ball-teammates-matt-olson-austin-meadows/article_4128a654-e3b8-11e9-920c-9706702b3881.html