Best Bluefield team of all time?

WeirFootball

I was just wondering what some of the Bluefield fans thought about this subject. I don't know much about Bluefield in the past, but I have seen their 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 teams and heard a lot about their 1996 team. I think that the 1997 Bluefield team was one of the best AA teams of all time along with the Weir 1998 team, but some Bluefield fans say that the 1996 team was better especially with Yubrenal Isabelle on the team but they just had injury problems. So which team do you Bluefield fans think deserves to be called the best team in school history?

I really didnt start following bluefield high football until my sister started attending bhs. When she went to bhs, i think they had donald amaker, treymane bennett, and im wanting to say the QB was sarver but im not positive..

I would have to say the best team was 97'. I heard our defense was sick back then...

Do you like bluefields new helmets with the beaver on the side and the line up the middle and there new jerseys (picture courtsey of BuzzsawBeaver) http://community.webshots.com/photo/176724467/1217963437049045572ZKaeFr#

Or do you bluefield fans prefer there older jerseys and helmets? I personally like the older ones. Looks more tough in my opinion

http://cougarfootball.net/season/2000/photos/bluefield02a.jpg

Guest JJBrickface

I liked the older ones better. I think they changed during either my junior or senior year, but growing up as a kid thats what I knew. So I like the older ones better.

Pretty much every Bluefield team of the 1960s was a well oiled machine, but they were obviously before my time. The 1975 and 1984 teams were pretty darn good as well, but one was before my time and I was only five when the other one took the field.

Of the teams I can remember specifically:

1995--Good team, but lacked the killer instinct from what I remember and it cost them in Wheeling.

1996--Was probably the best team of the AA days when healthy and still nearly made it to Wheeling.

1997--What needs to be said? They put small college teams to shame with their combo of size, strength, speed, quickness, and athletic ability.

1998--Rebuilding from 1997 and building toward 1999.

1999--Injuries took its toll throughout the season and when Amaker injuried his hamstring late in the first half of a 28-21 halftime state title game the writing was on the wall.

2000--Another rebuilding year, probably the least talented Bluefield team of the AA days despite finishing 4-6.

2001--Extremely young, probably youngest combined starting lineup in the history of Beaver football with all the freshmen and sophomores.

2002--Came together at the right time, shocked the state by making Wheeling and upsetting heavily favored James Monroe on the road in the second round.

2003--On paper they were better than the 2004 team, but didn't have the focus, drive, or hunger the '04 team had. A lot of that had to do with the way they lost to Poca in Wheeling.

2004--Offensively, one of the most efficient and balanced Bluefield teams ever. There was just something special about that bunch and the stunning comeback win against Weir solidified that. I still get chills thinking about that win, wow how special was that?

2005--A young team that was hurt by injuries, but when healthy in November proved what they were capable of. Simply lost to a better and much more experienced team in Wheeling.

Those are the Bluefield teams that I can recall rather well. The ones before that kind of run together because I was a young kid and didn't really pay much attention to detail.

their '92 team was likely the overall strongest, as strong as '96 but more talented and faster in the backfield with raymond isabell, donnie rozell and willis wilson, early in the season they referred to them as the horsemen in reference to notre dames stabel of backs. If you wanted to see a classic high school football photo, all bluefield's backfield posed for a photo for the telegraph on horseback in riding gear, as in the famous nator dame photo.

4HorsemenNotreDame.tif.jpg

unfortunately that seemingly filled the team with enough arrogance that they traveled to mt. view that week and were defeated 21 - 0.

Then they put the fun behind them and got back to business. As I wrote about a few weeks ago, their real downfall in my opinion in the playoffs was the qb position where they simply never played the best player for qb, mike lane, and the way they used over used raymond isabell and didn't use all their weapons later in the season, in my opinion.

That said, '87's team was really strong, '88s team was good, and many teams in the late '70s were strong but never could make the 8 team playoffs with their schedule.

Of the really strong teams in no order in my opinion, you had the merrill gainer teams of the '60s with their 84 - 6 -1 record overall, without playoffs.

'75, '84, '87, '92 in aaa, '95, '96, '97, '03 and '04.

Other good teams were in '78, '79 '80, '83, '88, '91, in aaa and '94 and '99, and of course the '02 and '05 teams overachieved and have to be commended for their accomplishments....

I played from 95 to 99 and we had some great teams. 97 was a unique team with lethal weapons, we where not expected to be any good after loosing ubrenal and all them. 95 and 96 where great teams but 97 was the best in my opinon.

[ QUOTE ]

I played from 95 to 99 and we had some great teams. 97 was a unique team with lethal weapons, we where not expected to be any good after loosing ubrenal and all them. 95 and 96 where great teams but 97 was the best in my opinon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...they give you 5 years of eligibility in West va?

Keep in mind the Mount View team that beat Bluefield 21-0 had as much talent as Bluefield that year although the record was bad the talent was there and had Isabelle and the others not got on tv and made those comments they made Bluefield probably would've won,because MV wasn't playing to their potential. Most of the MV players on that team were on the team the year before that missed making their 2nd straight AAA championship game by 1 game with a heart breaking loss to wheeling central.

No MV had beat Bluefield the previous year before that as well. I'm not sure if you're aware of the history between Bluefield and Mount View,but the overall series over the years hasn't been onesided. Bluefield has beaten MV about 4-5 times more than MV has beaten them.

this is meant in no way disrepect, just a thought that popped into my head.

i've heard old stories, about the sports teams of gary and northfork(sp) especially, and welch some too, how they used to go state in everything, northfork won something like 8 or 9 national championships in a row in basketball n all that. to get to the point tho, how come all 3 schools used to be so good in sports, but when they were all put together to form mount view, they haven't been one of the elite teams in WV.?

In '92 Beaver beat Graham 20-14 in overtime and then lost to Mount View 21-0. Graham then went to Mount View the following week and beat Mount View 13-0. Graham has only lost to MV 1 time in the 6 or 7 games they have played.

yeah MV has only Beat Graham once and it surprisingly it was at Mitchell Stadium 48-20.

MV has gotten a few bad calls in their favor,but in most cases they usually go against us. If you want to talk about bad calls every team gets the benefit of a few here and there.

[ QUOTE ]

1999--Injuries took its toll throughout the season and when Amaker injuried his hamstring late in the first half of a 28-21 halftime state title game the writing was on the wall.

2000--Another rebuilding year, probably the least talented Bluefield team of the AA days despite finishing 4-6

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all amaker didn't hurt his hamstring trust me I know the loss of john patton caused us to loss the state title that year having to use a freshman in his place plus Donald and Tremayne both didn't have there best day in the defensive backfield. Offensively the backs didn't listen to the line when they would tell them exactly where they was taking there man and they would still run into them. I just think the beavers honestly thought they was going to kill W. East after W.E. beat James Monroe if you remember Coach Chamara was calling some beautiful calls mounting a comeback until Donald fumbled. 2000 with David Harris not playing which would have been the feature back of the offense while pee-wee would have been the speed back also a hurt was the loss of john Hopkins which would have been another fast d-lineman we all know coach Simon has liked since George Cooke but the loss of those two left the beavers with an inexperienced backfield. the biggest positive of that year was the way the senior line turned davin williams and brenton pennal into men which in my opinion has been a chain reaction up until todays line, same can be said about lines before senior 2000 line. furthur more bout time the team played poca last game of the season they where rolling and pee-wee was running the ball like he had played all 4 years you cant tell me that team lacked talent when u had napper running 4.7 4.6 forty and pee-wee running 4.5 forty at the most about three lineman off that team that shoulda played somewhere big along with talented sophmore and freashman group

Guest JJBrickface

Weight wise that was probably the biggest o-Line that Bluefield has had since. If I recall just about everyone on their was pretty big. They just werent as mobile as todays Beaver linemen.

I agree that John Patton was a big loss for the championship game because he was replaced with a much smaller and inexperienced player. When you were talking about Amaker and Bennet struggling in the defensive backfield that game then that made me think of the playoff game that year. I can't remember who it was against but it was at Mitchell Stadium and it was a crazy offensive game. The final score was like 70 to 50 or something like that? I remember the defensive backfield for bluefield got torched. Which is kind of weird for how fast it was.

[ QUOTE ]

first of all amaker didn't hurt his hamstring trust me

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't make the game that year, but listened to the radio. It was reported at halftime that Amaker "tweaked" his hamstring late in the first half and wouldn't be 100% in the second half.

[ QUOTE ]

you cant tell me that team lacked talent

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say they lacked talent. I said the 2000 team was the least talented team Bluefield has put on the field since joining AA and I stand by that comment. Bennett might have been fast, and he was, but when he got the football there was more dancing than at a Michael Jackson concert. Napier showed potential, but he wouldn't have carried the ball out of the backfield in most years. He was better defensively than offensively.

You could argue '01's team was the least talented simply because of their youth, the '00 team was certainly stronger and faster than they were, but they did play a strong schedule.

It's warranted to consider in '00 they started out with graham, strong aaa princeton, pulaski co. and beckley teams to start 1 - 3. I maintain that in '00, even the contenders in aa might have been 1 - 3 or 0 - 4 against those teams.

That was the season for princeton when they had a lot of strong youthful players, such as albin, and had the rb who played db for pittsburg, I can't recall who he is. And in my opinion no aa team would have defeated or competed with beckley or pc.

I thought bluefield had a "respectable" playoff caliber team in '00, not contenders, but playoff caliber, but their schedule and inconsistency were the difference in being the in playoffs.