Best Bluefield team of all time?

WeirFootball

if the '99 team in my opinion wouldn't have been close with the team bluefield had in that actual title game. In '99 they were considerably stronger early in the season before the schedule and injuries wore on them later in the season and through the playoffs.

Even early in the season in my opinion the '04 team was considerably stronger overall.

I'll disagree about the '99 title game though, blufield was simply soundly defeated and overmatched by wyoming east in that game, and james monroe would have defeated bluefield as easily in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

when they combined all schools into mt view coal went way down and people started moving out of mcdowell county. coal was the and is the biggest employer in the county. when people move they take their kids with them and the talent base is depleted. this happens to many schools.

[ QUOTE ]

their '92 team was likely the overall strongest, as strong as '96 but more talented and faster in the backfield with raymond isabell, donnie rozell and willis wilson, early in the season they referred to them as the horsemen in reference to notre dames stabel of backs. If you wanted to see a classic high school football photo, all bluefield's backfield posed for a photo for the telegraph on horseback in riding gear, as in the famous nator dame photo.

4HorsemenNotreDame.tif.jpg

unfortunately that seemingly filled the team with enough arrogance that they traveled to mt. view that week and were defeated 21 - 0.

Then they put the fun behind them and got back to business. As I wrote about a few weeks ago, their real downfall in my opinion in the playoffs was the qb position where they simply never played the best player for qb, mike lane, and the way they used over used raymond isabell and didn't use all their weapons later in the season, in my opinion.

That said, '87's team was really strong, '88s team was good, and many teams in the late '70s were strong but never could make the 8 team playoffs with their schedule.

Of the really strong teams in no order in my opinion, you had the merrill gainer teams of the '60s with their 84 - 6 -1 record overall, without playoffs.

'75, '84, '87, '92 in aaa, '95, '96, '97, '03 and '04.

Other good teams were in '78, '79 '80, '83, '88, '91, in aaa and '94 and '99, and of course the '02 and '05 teams overachieved and have to be commended for their accomplishments....

[/ QUOTE ]

Mount View 0-21.

http://kyrom.free.fr/Atomic/Nuke.jpg

So what's you're point, as if I didn't know bluefield's history or my opinion would change now that you've trolled in this post? Was graham's '95 title team undefeated, I don't know, I know their '89 title team was embarassed at salem, do have that score ready to post? And oddly you've crowing that the past doesn't matter yet you bring up a bluefield football game in '92 in a topic that was finished months before.

You seem to be insecure and on the lookout for any way to disrespect bluefield football.

to answer another question from the locked topic though, bluefield and graham have never been much different enrollment wise that I know of, bluefield was aaa for decades, but they wouldn't have been according to va. enrollment. Bluefield's enrollment is listed as 509 on this site, I do "know" that this present class is considerably bigger for whatever reason than previous classes, and I'd guess the classes after this.

the number of students that someone posted early is MUCH larger...because on most websites it only shows grade 10-12 and I know they don't already have enrollment numbers out this year..but I do know that graham has 220 freshmen this year and bluefield has 240..The largest classes in A LONG LONG time

[ QUOTE ]

So what's you're point, as if I didn't know bluefield's history or my opinion would change now that you've trolled in this post? Was graham's '95 title team undefeated, I don't know, I know their '89 title team was embarassed at salem, do have that score ready to post? And oddly you've crowing that the past doesn't matter yet you bring up a bluefield football game in '92 in a topic that was finished months before.

You seem to be insecure and on the lookout for any way to disrespect bluefield football.

to answer another question from the locked topic though, bluefield and graham have never been much different enrollment wise that I know of, bluefield was aaa for decades, but they wouldn't have been according to va. enrollment. Bluefield's enrollment is listed as 509 on this site, I do "know" that this present class is considerably bigger for whatever reason than previous classes, and I'd guess the classes after this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The year I graduated in the 80's Bluefield had a senior class of 310, Graham had a senior class of 130. That is a big difference. And I know those numbers to be a fact.

[ QUOTE ]

Pretty much every Bluefield team of the 1960s was a well oiled machine, but they were obviously before my time. The 1975 and 1984 teams were pretty darn good as well, but one was before my time and I was only five when the other one took the field.

Of the teams I can remember specifically:

1995--Good team, but lacked the killer instinct from what I remember and it cost them in Wheeling.

1996--Was probably the best team of the AA days when healthy and still nearly made it to Wheeling.

1997--What needs to be said? They put small college teams to shame with their combo of size, strength, speed, quickness, and athletic ability.

1998--Rebuilding from 1997 and building toward 1999.

1999--Injuries took its toll throughout the season and when Amaker injuried his hamstring late in the first half of a 28-21 halftime state title game the writing was on the wall.

2000--Another rebuilding year, probably the least talented Bluefield team of the AA days despite finishing 4-6.

2001--Extremely young, probably youngest combined starting lineup in the history of Beaver football with all the freshmen and sophomores.

2002--Came together at the right time, shocked the state by making Wheeling and upsetting heavily favored James Monroe on the road in the second round.

2003--On paper they were better than the 2004 team, but didn't have the focus, drive, or hunger the '04 team had. A lot of that had to do with the way they lost to Poca in Wheeling.

2004--Offensively, one of the most efficient and balanced Bluefield teams ever. There was just something special about that bunch and the stunning comeback win against Weir solidified that. I still get chills thinking about that win, wow how special was that?

2005--A young team that was hurt by injuries, but when healthy in November proved what they were capable of. Simply lost to a better and much more experienced team in Wheeling.

Those are the Bluefield teams that I can recall rather well. The ones before that kind of run together because I was a young kid and didn't really pay much attention to detail.

[/ QUOTE ] that was a good article i just need to disagree with one thing man, i was a freshman on the 200 team and we had plenty of talent i think the schedule and injuries hurt us, i mean we had scott hayes hurt, john thompson was hurt, jason thompson missed a game, jon murray was hurt, jarrod sudduth got a concusion against pikeview it goes on and on even our center kirby suttle missed a game, and the schedule graham, ptown, greenbrier east, pulaski, beckley, pikeview (sucked) shady was good then lead by the late remmy bortel, mt.view, richlands, and the dots from poca so..if healthy i think we would have made the playoffs

So that would have made bluefield have around 900 some enrollment? I don't recall our senior class that big , nor do I recall enrollment in the 900s, I recall around 600 to 650.

Good article about the other teams, where was that written. I thought the '95 team could finish games though, they simply underestimated mussleman, who was 6 - 4 and the 16th ranked team out of 16 in the playoffs, and most people had considered the semi's between poca and bluefield the aa title game.

It seems to me that nobody really talks about the 1975 team. I was just in the 7th grade then but my brother was one of the managers on that team,so I had the honor to hang around the team in the locker room after ball games and other stuff. I got to know alot of those back then.The 1975 team may not have been the most athletic or the most phyical imposing team but they had what I call 'IT'. Those players were just plain crazy! I remember Joe Hager and Jim Hyder would put ther name on the 6:30am list (form of displine) on purpose then demand that the rest of the team do the same. I remember that the managers would have to bring a extra helment just for Joe Hager at every game because it seemed liked he cracked a helment every game. This team just was just nasty.

i do know that tazewell county had to cut off the transfers from wv side to ghs because there were to many requests and ghs did not have the room for them this year. numbers wise not sure of though.

i figure there are a few wv parents that are upset with this decision of the schoolboard in tazewell county.guess they wont get to play sports at ghs this year lol. before all you get on me just pickin.

[ QUOTE ]

i figure there are a few wv parents that are upset with this decision of the schoolboard in tazewell county.guess they wont get to play sports at ghs this year lol. before all you get on me just pickin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does the mental picture of a sinking ship come to mind?

graham has filled an allotment of out of state transfers, most all from bluefield for quite a few years, if I recall it's 30 a year?, that goes back to the early or mid '90s when a lot of wv parents opted for graham middle school because of the violence at the jr. high. My cousin graduated from graham and started school on the va. side at the graham middle school for that exact reasom...

This isn't a change as for transfers, for sports, academics, atmosphere, ect.

you're correct about the '75 team, 1 of the 1st memories I have of games at mitchell stadium was the bluefield stonewall jackson 1st game of the season in '75. Stonewall earned the title in '74 with a team that many consider to be among the all time bests in aaa, and they had high expectations and bluefield defeated them soundly. I recall donnie jackson and the older beckett, particularly from that team. But they were really tough all around and very physical.

Their only defeat was a close game against welch at mitchell stadium, it seemed to be a theme for the '75 and '84 title teams.